User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: InterCOOLers Anyone?

What about a TMIC with meth injection :P

But add up the price and fitment... What real gain do you get?

You could have a decent workshop that works with alloy to box up your stock TMIC to make it a W2A.... There was a guy on Mazdaspeed forum that did that but he also changed the core. He used the stock end tanks tho so it was a bolt on. He stated it worked great.

Its all good, and i am aware of the great results but it will only get you so far, and at what cost..? You require some sort of controller for it, be it a after market computer, or a stand alone controller of some sort.. Thats an added few hundred to a G on top of the kit itself. Were you looking at using this with your stock TMIC, or an aftermarket one?

Im not trying to have a go at anyone or trying to tell you what to do with your car, i just want to try and help you out when making your decision. If you have the cash to set up your car as those other are with the After market computer & cooler and the H2O/Meth kit than its def a good course to take, but if your tryin to get the most from your $$ i would look into a basic FMIC, or if you have a bit extra and are handy with the spanners or know someone who is and can help you out go with a W2A setup.

I cant remember, what mods do you have already shinslinger66? Not sure if you have posted.. I think that these cars are very capable as they are and only need a little help in area's that restrict them, IMO these are..

Engine Mount movement - Many aftermarket mounts out there.
    Inlet setup - Even a basic POD setup will help
    TMIC - Either Aftermarket TMIC or FMIC
    & Traction - Some decent tyres & or Suspension upgrade

After changing my initial plan for our car to what is listed above im confident my car will run some decent times on the strip and be a HOOT to drive on the street. Remember, its not all about power to make your car go fast, no matter what style of driving you do...
    Last edited by racebitz; 24-11-2008 at 06:26 PM.

Do you think your going to do 12's with the above setup?

I dare say you would need to do a basic computer at the least to run 12s!

Mate who knows, but im keen as hell to try and thats the main point. I have seen a very minor modded 3 run 13.4@105 so why wouldn it be possible?

You may know the car anyway, only had after market top mount, engine mount and cat back, thats it... Even standard air box,tyres & suspension. Think of that and then think of the question you have asked...

Wouldn it piss a lot of guys off tho

Come out and give your car some runs, its all about havin fun and tryin your hardest to achieve a set goal, i dont see the point in owning a car like we do if your not goin to enjoy/use it properly.

Get out there

7. Default

If its a street car that's used daily, air 2 air is the only way to go.
    FMIC or TMIC is up to the you & your bank account.
    Water/ice coolers are only effective in short bursts.
    If a short burst is your thing then you can't go pass a CO2system. lighter, adjustable intake temp & works when the cars sitting in the hole waiting the the lights to turn GREEN

I want to race this MPS Garage test car...... hint hint :-)

13.4 with a stock intake... Wow i knew down pipes made a difference, but i didnt think it was that much.

Blog Entries

13.4- what were the other mods please?

TRZ Top Mount Intercooler is coming soon.... ?

the intercooler also has a custom fabricated co2 cooling coil integrated into the cold side endtank. you do not have to, but you can choose to, use this feature.

http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showt...hp?t=123718641

Is on the way apparently...

BLACK 06 MPS3 - HKS SRi/K&N - SU REM - TWM STS & Bushings - Custom MP

The owner of the 3 that did the 13.4 his user name is macton on ozmazdaclub forum. No down pipe, still stock with a cat back exhaust. other than that it was only engine mount and aftermarket top mount. Oh, and a hole cut into the air box, not that it would have done too much...

He does drive the car well tho, that makes a big difference. Another thing to look at is people MPH, most stock are usually around 95-97 mph, where as both myself and macton got 100+. It comes down to when you change gears from what i worked out, i think thats these cars problem, too short geared, will restrict overall MPH.

That TRZ topmount seems to be a great idea with the Co2 pipe.... Will be good to see soem results once its out there in testing.

if u check out the link there is some testing already done... 20hp gain on the dyno.. car had some various other mods though...

ok, i'll scan the WinPEP sheets in the morning, but here is a brief rundown. We dynoed at the normal place (Speedquest Inc in Waukegan, IL) we have always dynoed it at. As we add parts I highlight such in italics;

Car and Modifications:
    2007 Mazdaspeed3
    - Protege Garage Testpipe #1
    - Protege Garage Turbo Manifold #1
    - Factory Catback Exhaust
    - Factory Intercooler
    - Mazdaspeed Cold Air Intake

Dyno Results 235whp

2007 Mazdaspeed3
    - Reworked Turbo #1
    - Corksport Downpipe
    - Factory Intercooler

Dyno Results 275 whp

2007 Mazdaspeed3
    - Reworked Turbo #1
    - Corksport Downpipe
    - TRZ Intercooler #1

Dyno Results 295whp and 316tq
    Air Fuel Ratio of 10.58:1 at full boost

No boost controller was used to increase boost, no CO2 was used for any pull. The car gained 20whp and 23tq over the stock intercooler. ECU is stock with no reflash, no piggyback, no Accessport, etc.
    early days but looks good if u ask me... even without the CO2 option....

thats nearly 220kw ?? i think.... without ecu mods... or upping the boost.. annnd stock cat back.. "apparently"... frikin impressive if u ask me... oh they have worked turbo ??? but dunno what that implies ?
    Last edited by PaulG; 28-11-2008 at 09:01 AM.

BLACK 06 MPS3 - HKS SRi/K&N - SU REM - TWM STS & Bushings - Custom MP

All comes down to dollars and ease.

Im an accountant by trade, so I watch my pennies and need something easy coz my fingers were made for calculators (not spanners).

Hence my ETS TMIC: cheap to buy, zero labour costs, can install easy enough (better with 2 people), can uninstall if need be easy enough, sleeper, will ultimately cost little as I should be able to sell the item when I sell the car and probably recoup atleast 60% of my small outlay back (possibly higher since I purchased it when the dollar was much stronger). So get to use it for my ownership period for the grand cost of $250 odd bucks (a weekend on the p*ss). FMIC better? performence wise a FMIC is better is most cases, but for atleast 5 times the end cost (probably more)??? Each to their own, I chose the ETS and bought light-weight Enkeis aswell.

Whats the usual increase for say the ETS top mount and the other FMIC kits? I thought i t was more than that? Could be wrong...

What I find interesting, is no one is prepared to give this a go themselves.

With my old astra turbo, I fittd a full front mount for about $400. I used off the shelf stainless bends and tubing, silicon hosing and clamps.

The intercooler came from JustJap. Cost ~$120.

Took a bit of planning.... But hell.... $400. And it dropped the inlet temps from 70C to 35C. LOGGED DATA.....

The whole world does not revolve around CPE and TXS...... Think about it....

Quote Originally Posted by Sassimac View Post
    What I find interesting, is no one is prepared to give this a go themselves.

With my old astra turbo, I fittd a full front mount for about $400. I used off the shelf stainless bends and tubing, silicon hosing and clamps.

The intercooler came from JustJap. Cost ~$120.

Took a bit of planning.... But hell.... $400. And it dropped the inlet temps from 70C to 35C. LOGGED DATA.....

The whole world does not revolve around CPE and TXS...... Think about it....
    I don't know about others, but for me, the time/effort/materials/tools it would take me to build my own FMIC, I could be working and earn more than enough money to buy something that at least has some R&D and proven gains. I'm not as mechanically inclined as others so I work to my strengths and avoid my weaknesses.
    Nuliaj: Hatches are only really half a car anyway.
    shinslinger66: And you forgot to add that they are also a girls car!

R&D + Intercoolers.??

Sorry, it's crap. I have looked into this stuff, and you are paying for profit. I know one mob charged a crapload for the Astra FMIC kit. And they sold it with a replacement radiator fan. THAT CAUSED CEL's. How do I know.?? We tested the SAME fan!!!! All good if you NEVER USE THE AIRCON..!!!

I spent stupid amounts of time and money farting around with my old astra. I had a good idea what worked, and what did not. All the way from PowerChip, water injections systems, custom tunes I wrote to exhaust systems by three companies.

In the long run, I fully understand people will buy what they want and feel good about. Damm, I have no issue with that. I only hope that people buy stuff from a genuinely informed point of view, and not some bulls--t marketing hype.

I won't pretend to understand what it takes to develop something like an FMIC, so I will only link http://www.cp-e.com/imgs/MazdaSPEED6...search_PDF.pdf and you can tell me if this is marketing hype.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sassimac View Post
    I only hope that people buy stuff from a genuinely informed point of view, and not some bulls--t marketing hype.
    As a Marketing Manager, I take offence to that!

Haha...only joking.
    2014 Mk7 Golf R | DSG | Reflex Silver | Leather | Drive Assist | Bi-Xenon Headlights
    1981 Lincoln Town Car | Auto | 80s Cream | 90s brown interior | 5.0L V8 | Currently no working headlights

In the long run, I found that a $120 intercooler did the job fantastic.

Again, my point is still.... Buy what you feel happy about. No problems there..!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast