User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Definitive diff mount answers?

Default Definitive diff mount answers?

Hey guys
    I'm about to place my order for a set of rear diff mounts for my 6.
    I hear lots of opinions one way and another, but I've decided to go with the SURE diff mounts (currently $500 for the pair off streetunit), and a SURE rear engine mount.

Before I go and flog nearly $700 on all this gear, can everyone please give their input? Is the Sure gear worth the cash?

Cheers gents!

In a word, no. My SURE diff mount has cost me more than $3000 so far including consequent damage arising from a serious design deficiency in the SURE product.

I recommend the Turbinetech/CPE diff mount combination.

So you're saying

Turbine Tech Rear Differential Front Mount: MS6

and

StreetUnit Differential Brace mazdaspeed 6 (Not the CP-E one, but Streetunit doesn't seem to list cpe gear anymore??)

Quote Originally Posted by MadAussie View Post
    So you're saying

Turbine Tech Rear Differential Front Mount: MS6

and

StreetUnit Differential Brace mazdaspeed 6 (Not the CP-E one, but Streetunit doesn't seem to list cpe gear anymore??)
    CPE Rear Diff Differential Mount MS6 Mazdaspeed 6 <-- edge has it
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Cheers man

Eeerk, comes to $726.50 for the two, but needs to happen.
    I take it then the CP-E mount is superior to the StreetUnit one?

Quote Originally Posted by MadAussie View Post
    Cheers man

Eeerk, comes to $726.50 for the two, but needs to happen.
    I take it then the CP-E mount is superior to the StreetUnit one?
    CPE has a lifetime warranty which is always nice
    dont know if they actually make a front diff brace tho... maybe send jp/eric a PM on forums, see if they can help out?
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

I wasn't under the impression that they made one, they don't have anything about a front mount on their site. The turbinetech one does look pretty solid though. I like the sound of a lifetime warranty

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    That's the one. It has meat where it's needed most due to torsional stress. The other brands are quite weak in that area.

Wouldn't be too concerned about warranty. The lifetime warranty didn't assist me at all.

Gone to Volvo

How exactly did yours fail mate? Very keen to know as much as I can hear...

I'll do my best to explain without photos.... The diff is subject to rotational forces in the longitudinal plane caused by the tail shaft, and in the lateral plane caused by the axles. The two mounts deal with the respective forces. The sure mount was supposed to deal with rotational force around the axis of the tail shaft. If you look at end-on photos of the sure and cpe mounts you'll see a very chunky looking gusset on the cpe mount but on the sure mount there is nothing in that area which coincidentally is probably the area of greatest stress. With no gussets they rely on thin flat-plate arms to withstand the twisting effect. Clearly there wasn't enough thought given to the integrity of the design. In addition to that, the repairer reported that in his opinion the steel used in the sure mount was too soft for the application. Sure have changed the design of the mount, it's looks stronger than the one they sold to me, until you realise it's now made from aluminium.

The sure mount appears to have failed incrementally over a period of a few hundred km's until the diff became so badly misaligned that the inner CV cage of the left rear axle broke. I couldn't get a cpe mount at short notice to repair my car so the sure mount was straightened and strengthened with the addition of gussets to the area of weakness.

Gone to Volvo

You've explained that perfectly mate, thanks heaps!
    This is the sort of feedback that's lacking everywhere on the net. Without that I would have gone ahead and grabbed the SURE stuff purely due to convenience. Life saver mate! Or at least wallet saver. Cheers

Bit late for my input, but I can recommend the CPE rear diff mount and the Turbine Tech forward mount. At the time I ordered the TT mount direct from Canada and the CPE mount from CPE direct. Overall it made a significant improvement in my case and I was very happy with the set-up, also am pretty sure the new owner of my MPS is still very happy too.

This was the thread I created when I had the mounts installed:

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/tech-...al-mounts.html
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

13. Default

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    I'll do my best to explain without photos.... The diff is subject to rotational forces in the longitudinal plane caused by the tail shaft, and in the lateral plane caused by the axles. The two mounts deal with the respective forces. The sure mount was supposed to deal with rotational force around the axis of the tail shaft. If you look at end-on photos of the sure and cpe mounts you'll see a very chunky looking gusset on the cpe mount but on the sure mount there is nothing in that area which coincidentally is probably the area of greatest stress. With no gussets they rely on thin flat-plate arms to withstand the twisting effect. Clearly there wasn't enough thought given to the integrity of the design. In addition to that, the repairer reported that in his opinion the steel used in the sure mount was too soft for the application. Sure have changed the design of the mount, it's looks stronger than the one they sold to me, until you realise it's now made from aluminium.

The sure mount appears to have failed incrementally over a period of a few hundred km's until the diff became so badly misaligned that the inner CV cage of the left rear axle broke. I couldn't get a cpe mount at short notice to repair my car so the sure mount was straightened and strengthened with the addition of gussets to the area of weakness.
    To be clear, are you referring to the Streetunit mount or the Sure mount in this response?

I shall be keeping an eye on my sure mounts. Without offending you can i ask on your driving style? I understand your post completely.

Quote Originally Posted by mazda6mps View Post
    To be clear, are you referring to the Streetunit mount or the Sure mount in this response?
    I'm talking about the SURE mount that failed on my car. However the SU mount appears to have the same area of weakness.

---------- Post added at 05:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MPS2NV View Post
    I shall be keeping an eye on my sure mounts. Without offending you can i ask on your driving style? I understand your post completely.
    No offense taken and it's a fair question. I went to the trouble and expense of upgrading both diff mounts specifically because in AWD cars the driveline stresses are significantly greater than in 2wd cars. In my view, the only reason we buy these after market mounts is to eliminate the risk of failure, and if they aren't strong enough to eliminate that risk they're not worth a cent. My driving style is usually smooth and, I would say, gentle on the car. I did only a few hundred km on the sure mount, which included a day at the AHM driver training facility and a couple of launches. I did a LOT more than that on the stock diff mount over almost 100,000km without it failing the way the sure mount failed. Even those flimsy rubber bushes in the stock diff mount were in perfect condition when it came out to be replaced by the sure mount.
    Last edited by kmh001; 03-03-2012 at 04:08 PM.

Gone to Volvo

Those 3 inches of diff movement are your strength, remove the give and gain a bend! Same design team did the conrods! I have small dent in the floor pan from the diff hitting it.
    In regards to the SURE products it is possible that the all the boxes have been ticked except the R&D on strength compaired to STD part. Quality doesn't mean much if its under engineered. I wouldn't expect to have an issue with the SURE engine mount as its quality is nothing short of beautiful! Alot of contrast between the 2 parts.

Either way, the savings in selecting the correct part once is key to a successful cost effective result.
    Every man should have a V8 ute.....with a Chev badge.....and a Southern Cross sticker! Mods? What mods?

Turbinetech + CPE mounts should be here in a week or so I suppose, ordered them today (Yes, I've been slack)
    Looking forward to pulling the mazda apart for a day

I also ordered a cpe diff mount yesterday to replace the crap sure mount. Even with gussets welded on to increase the strength I just don't have any confidence in the sure product.

Well StreetUnit just got back to me saying they don't stock the TurbineTech mount anymore. Pain in the arse, can someone please link me asap to somewhere that can supply the turbinetech front mount?

Cheers.

EDIT: And Edge is out of CPE mounts too. If anyone knows where I can get these ASAP (Without paying MPSgarage's bull***t prices) please let me know
    Last edited by MadAussie; 08-03-2012 at 10:13 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast