User Tag List

Thread: $1500 repair of ticking noise

Default $1500 repair of ticking noise

Hello y'all

Had my car sitting at Mazda yesterday as lately (past 3 months) its been making a metallic sounding ticking noise. I can only hear it on idle, if i really slowly press the accelerator the ticking increases in tempo. Car felt the same ie no loss of power or anything like that.

So Mazda basically told me that it's coming from the timing chain area but they wont know what it is until the spend more time on it which would involve another whole day. This day of diagnostics would be charged and then if they discovered what the issue was they would could fix it. If not, back to the drawing board. Fair enough. They werent able to give me an estimate of the cost either. Just said that it would cost whatever it costed after they calculated the time spent figuring out the issue and fixing it. No problem. I told them not to worry about it for now and i went to pick up the car.

Once arriving there they told me that know what it is. Timing chain. Have to replace the chain and covers. Approx $1500. I told them to leave it with me for the time being.

Anyone else experienced this problem and is $1500 a decent estimate for the work. I guess you could say "how long is a piece of string" but if anyone has a clue any advice/info would be appreciated

thanks

$1650 - Timing Chain, Chain Tensioner and the VVT Actuator with all parts and labour. I had mine done at about 155,000kms.

so it seems like they are pretty spot on with their estimate then. shieeet. i suppose i better get this thing fixed then.

thanks jeev

After 150 000k's her vageen hang like sleeve of wizard.

Wasn't there a warranty extension for this issue that was announced recently?

Dont rule out the tensioner pulley they are renown for failing, mine is going and is making a similar noise to what your describing, sort of a metallic rattle on idle, the pulley assembly sits at the back of the engine, on the lower area of the main belt, its hard to pick out the noise looking over the engine with an open bonnet as all the other noise drowns it out, but if you leave the bonnet shut the noise is noticeably louder near the rear of the front wheel arch, coincidently the location and access point of the pulley.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you want to test a man's character - give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln

Yep I got done on the same noise, they told me it was the timing chain tensioner , they changed it all and $1650 later IT WAS STILL THERE!
    Then paid another $270 for tensioner pulley and belt and finally it disappeared...

Damn cars...

$270 for pulley and belt is cheap to what I was quoted the other day, OEM pulley assembly $230.00 and belt $85.00, did you argue the $1650 timing chain invoice, seeing as it obviously wasn't the cause of the problem.

Mine was actually the Tensioner, but while they had the side of the block off, I got the whole lot done. A problem with the MZR23 is that particulate debris from the engine blocks the oil feed for the Timing Chain Tensioner and the tensioner fails.

Just as a side comment. When I stuck my hand in the to feel around and have a look through the oil filler. The chain had actually become so loose it had hit the top of the Cam Cover at some point. Most god awful sound ever. Getting timing issues sorted out on an interference engine is probably a good idea
    Last edited by Jeev; 01-03-2012 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MattMPS3 View Post
    Dont rule out the tensioner pulley they are renown for failing, mine is going and is making a similar noise to what your describing, sort of a metallic rattle on idle, the pulley assembly sits at the back of the engine, on the lower area of the main belt, its hard to pick out the noise looking over the engine with an open bonnet as all the other noise drowns it out, but if you leave the bonnet shut the noise is noticeably louder near the rear of the front wheel arch, coincidently the location and access point of the pulley.
    Engine rebuild with rods may as well half the engines apart anyway
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

Dodgy mazda engines

lol, and to think I bought the Mazdak thinking a timing chain would give some improved reliability over a belt. D'oh!