User Tag List

Thread: Is the Mazda 3 MPS the fastest of the mazdas?

Default Is the Mazda 3 MPS the fastest of the mazdas?

A bloke from work reckons his mazda MX-5 would shit all over my (stock) Mazda 3 MPS Gen II. I thought it was a bold comment to make but i let him have his momment. I looked into some facts of the MX-5 & sure its a lighter car, sure its a turbo BUT its only 118Kw. Surely its not going to cream a 3MPS from a stop start 0-100km/h. Am i just too proud of a MPS owner to think this is possible or he's the one being proud of his more expensive MX-5?

What you mean by "fastest"?
    Drag race? Circuit race? 50kph roll? Speed through corners?

At the end of the day the person in the drivers seat will make the biggest difference

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Unless he owns the NB MX5 SP the MX5 is not turbo charged.

"Fastest" is a very broad term. It depends on what he defines as fastest.
    Fastest to 100kmh - MPS
    Fastest over 400m - MPS
    Fastest top speed - MPS
    Fastest through corners - MX5
    Fastest around a track - Depends on what track.

However, mazda also said in their original advertising for the gen 1 MPS (back when you were allowed to say the word fast in an advert) that "the MPS is our fastest ever mazda 0-100km/h in 6.1 seconds"

Mps ftw!

A stock MPS will bash an MX5 in pretty much any form of racing. MX5's do handle a little bit better but the MPS is so much faster and more powerful that it overcomes that disadvantage in even the tightest tracks.

It might have been the fastest mazda at the time, but the fastest mazda from factory is the FD3S hands down. The mx5 is a very very nicely balanced car, the older SP versions (Australian only) 1.8 turbos were very fast. However the 2L NA ones they have currently will be slower in a straight line, you would be surprised how fast they can actually corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Fizzy View Post
    It might have been the fastest mazda at the time, but the fastest mazda from factory is the FD3S hands down. The mx5 is a very very nicely balanced car, the older SP versions (Australian only) 1.8 turbos were very fast. However the 2L NA ones they have currently will be slower in a straight line, you would be surprised how fast they can actually corner.
    yeah, think mazda "claimed" a 13.5 for the 400m and 5.0 0-100 for the FD...
    RX7Club.com - View Single Post - Stock Time for FD???
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    Unless he owns the NB MX5 SP the MX5 is not turbo charged.
    Uuurm, the NB SE is also turbocharged. It doesn't run the BPT motor afaiik, but I can 100% confirm that they are boosted, since we own one.

Here's a breakdown in links...

Mazda 3 MPS Gen 1 vs Mazda 3 MPS Gen 2

For the rest of the comparisons I'll use the Gen 2 MPS3.

Mazda 3 MPS Gen 2 vs Mazda 6 MPS - MPS3 wins.

Mazda 3 MPS Gen 2 vs Mazda RX-7 FD original 1993 - Close but hard to compare the track time wet v dry.

Mazda 3 MPS Gen 2 vs Mazda RX-7 RS 1997 - Decisive RX-7 victory.

Mazda 3 MPS Gen 2 vs Mazda RX-7 RZ 2001 - Decisive RX-7 victory.

Mazda 3 MPS Gen 2 vs Mazda RX-7 Type R BATHURST A Spec 2002 - Decisive RX-7 victory.

Mazda 3 MPS Gen 2 vs Eunos Cosmo 20B 1990 - No acceleration times but MPS takes it on the track and for power/weight ratio, would probably take the straight line battle too then.

Mazda 3 MPS Gen 2 vs Mazda RX-8 2002 - Decisive MPS victory.

Mazda 3 MPS Gen 2 vs Mazda MX-5 2.0 - Obvious one here, MPS wins easily.

An interesting thing to note about that site is the acceleration numbes listed for the Gen 2 MPS3. It says that it does 0-100 mph in 13.6 sec but it does the 1/4 mile in 14.5 @ 98 mph? A little bit of reading will reveal that they take the acceleration times from different sources and (usually) match up the best ones. A little more reading will find tests from magazines in America that have the stock FWD MPS running mid 13s @ 100 mph and getting to 100km/h in the high 5's. Based on that information, an MPS3 and an FD RX-7 would actually be a pretty dead-heat in a straight line with the RX-7's superior handling giving it the on-track edge. I've actually had the pleasure of testing that in real life against a stock Series 8, which got ahead of the MPS in 1st/2nd, but once it went into third and out of the power restrictions, the MPS began to reel in the RX-7 in slowly.

So basically the above concludes that apart from the 13B-REW powered RX-7's, the Mazda 3 MPS is the second fastest Mazda ever produced. And, from a rolling start, probably the fastest.
    Last edited by Speed3; 29-02-2012 at 10:39 AM.
    2011 Mazda 3 MPS

Also bench racing = sad

Let your ET slips do the talking

Is it not allowed on this site to have a mps vs ------ on these forums, for example 'I raced a blah blah last night and I won' on the drag strip.
    Alot of people including myself would like to know what our mps's can keep up with or even beat in a race.
    Would it be possible if any of the forum owners start a thread like this??
    Just a thought of mine.....
    And I don't mean by street racing as it's dangerous and all but for all the mps owners that take there car to a drag strip. I myself have never been to a drag strip as I honestly have no spare time for that but yeahh I'm thinking starting a forum like that wouldn't be bad...
    Anyway, just an idea

Quote Originally Posted by mpsexn View Post
    Is it not allowed on this site to have a mps vs ------ on these forums, for example 'I raced a blah blah last night and I won' on the drag strip.
    Alot of people including myself would like to know what our mps's can keep up with or even beat in a race.
    Would it be possible if any of the forum owners start a thread like this??
    Just a thought of mine.....
    And I don't mean by street racing as it's dangerous and all but for all the mps owners that take there car to a drag strip. I myself have never been to a drag strip as I honestly have no spare time for that but yeahh I'm thinking starting a forum like that wouldn't be bad...
    Anyway, just an idea
    As you've pointed out, illegal street racing discussions will be heavily moderated here.

But

We do have

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/dyno-...mance-results/

and

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/track/

Which also contains a (legal) Drag Racing thread: http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/track...ng-thread.html

So we've got a fair few spots where car's performance is discussed in competitive situations. In terms of direct comparison though, it comes down largely to the driver(s).
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Fiend View Post
    As you've pointed out, illegal street racing discussions will be heavily moderated here.

But

We do have

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/dyno-...mance-results/

and

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/track/

Which also contains a (legal) Drag Racing thread: http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/track...ng-thread.html

So we've got a fair few spots where car's performance is discussed in competitive situations. In terms of direct comparison though, it comes down largely to the driver(s).
    this ^
    feel free to discuss your cars performance when it's done in a safe environment (ie track) or when accelerating up an on-ramp/overtaking but keep street racing discussions to a minimum/not at all
    i'll admit to doing 3rd gear logs for access port, but these are always done on on-ramps to 110km/hr zones
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Yeah fair enough I understand street racing will be moderated but I didn't mean street racing I meant one on one with some other car on a race track or somewhere were it is legal

Thanks for your replies guys, im convinced which car would go over the line 1st between a MPS3 & a MX-5

Simple harmless question turns into some technical stickler answers!! Thank you to the people who answered in a str8 fwrd normal kind of way. And to the sticklers, i thank you to, you guys make me laugh :d

FD3S FTW , i had to say it,
    Cheers Todd