User Tag List

Thread: Heavy clutch needs to go..

Default Heavy clutch needs to go..

So as my knee is starting to give out after long drives is there anyway to make the clutch in the Gen1 MPS3 softer? As other cars I have driven for decent periods don't cause my knee to get tried unlike the MPS.

You can make it softer, just depends on your wallet.

Is cheaper then getting an auto.

4. Default

Throw the clutch in the bin. thats all its good for and fit an exceedy aftermarket flywheel and clutch kit. about $1200 plus fitting. Clutch will be heaps better have good feel and last for ages compared with the oem crap. Unless you are racing or into burnouts forget the others the exceedy will do everything you need.

Please keep posts in this thread to the topic at hand, the OP isn't asking for your opinions, be it medical or personal, the OP is asking about softening the clutch in the MPS, or finding a softer replacement alternative.

The clutch is a hydraulic system, maybe there is some way of retrofitting a larger piston assembly to reduce the pressure on the pedal, while still maintaining a good clamping pressure at the flywheel.

Clutch "weight" is subjective. If you believe you have a problem with the clutch, then compare its weight with that of clutches in other cars of the same type, age, etc, and/or get the spec's from the manufacturer. If your unit still seems out of spec then the cause needs to be determined.

The impression of "weight" can be also attributable to various frictional losses. This is more applicable in cable-actuated systems where the cable can bind, but linkages can also be at fault. Some clutch pedals and linkages have multiple pin locations that enable the required effort to be varied slightly. Check that a previous owner may not have already played with this before you got the car, or maybe even drilled extra holes?

Check all these conditions before considering the more expensive and possibly unnecessary options of replacing the clutch.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Thanks for that Doug! Hopefully if it is not raining this weekend I will have a poke around and see what I can find. Before heading down the throw money at it road