User Tag List

Thread: MPS Noob buying ADVICE

1. Default MPS Noob buying ADVICE

Hey guys Ive been trying to find a 2006-08 mps 3 with low ks and no mods for the last 3-4 months and im willing to travel for the right car-

the few pristine examples i can find are extremely expensive ie 40XXXks or less (up to 28k) -

my question is would it be worth considering a cheaper mps with around 70XXXks and spend a few bucks on a complete service - how reliable do you find these motors after 70xxxk-

my budget is around 22k - just finding it a little distressing paying near 20 k for an 06 with that many ks.. what are your opinions - I'm sure being on here you all care about your car more than the average joe so I'm sure they are well maintained.. but trying to judge the previous owners driving/maintenance habits can prove quiet difficult often impossible.

I know its like asking 'how long is a piece of string is' due to every owner treating and driving there car differently.. but what I'm trying to get at is the durability and future reliability regardless if the previous owner thrashed it could 1 or 2k bring one of these motors back to a near fresh start or is it a never ending money pit like my previous shitboxes which you eventually end up replacing every part as they decide to stop working.

Any advice on common issues/tips i should be looking for when viewing the 06-08 mps 3s?

Thanks for any help - much appreciated

There are many members with 70000 k's plus. I think you can buy with reasonable confidence. Do your research on this forum about warranty claims that people have made in regards to smoky turbos. Check to see if the cars you're looking have has this done.

Not sure if these links have worked, but there are 2x GENI's with your budget and similar k's your after.

http://carsales.mobi/cars/details/?R=11949611

http://carsales.mobi/cars/details/?R=12045838

GENII here for $27,999

http://carsales.mobi/cars/details/?R=11953527
    Last edited by Yeldarb; 26-02-2012 at 03:15 AM.
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

Hi Dave and welcome to ozMPSclub.

I have prepared a bit of a thread for guys like yourself who may know little of the MPS but are looking to buy and would like to know some info. I've tried to include as much info as possible in the one thread (links down the bottom), so folks can ALL just refer to the same thread to get what they need when looking for an MPS. If there is something you have a question with, by all means post in the thread as someone down the line might have the same question as you

Hints and Tips for purchasing a used vehicle

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

4. Default

Thanks alot for the welcome and links - much appriciated !

The MPS For 22k in black, bentleigh in melbourne.
    Has been economic write off mate, i did a REVS check on it.
    Be wary there!

Nice one, good advice mate!

I have been speaking to that bloke for a few weeks now, he was saying the car had never been in an accident owned for 3years,to good for that price, finally got the VIN number. Did the revs , Written off in 2009.

Mustave been in a heavy collission. The bloke is moving to WA then sweden end of this month, the keys will be with his neighbour.
    All to dodgy.

But yet again he offer $14,000 for it.

I offered him $10k as a cheap run around for my wife local driving.
    Still at that price you just dont know the full extent of the damage that was repaired.
    Being a ex panel beater and car painter. Its just not worth getting into that.

Cheers

8. Default

Hey mate not sure where you're located (I'm in Sydney) but I just put my MPS 3 up for sale. I love it to pieces but it doesn't get driven enough and I need the money

It's in fantastic condition and I look after it well.

Its a blue one with only 55720kms on the clock and I'm asking $22,800 negotiable.

Here is the ad if you're interested.

2006 MAZDA 3 MPS SPORTS BK Series 2 Hatch Private Cars For Sale in NSW - carsales.com.au

9. Default

Ey guys Ive tried searching but cant seem to find a definitive answer - why are the gen 1 mps holding their price so well compared to gen2s? 2008 gen 1 with very low ks is quiet often more expensive than gen2 of say 09 , 10 with very similar km? is this purely down to the popularity of the gen 1 styling ? i cant seem to understand - i personally much prefer the gen 1 modest shape - not a fan of gen 2 bonnet scoop and wild body lines very 'rexy', 'evo' like which for me defeats the point of buying an MPS - having the thrill of that type of car without the obvious stereotype of a 'hoon'

BTW will be coming to check out your car soon willdenness

Stealth, that's one of the reasons why these cars are so popular. A stock GENI's never screams turbo, most confuse it for an SP25.

They're an understated car, with strong lines that don't leap out at you on a passing glance.

Yet you can tune it to more power than a Rex or EVO and rarely get the attention of the cops.

The GENII's, on the other hand, we're meant to be bold, therefore don't have the appeal if a broader audience. The styling is very polarizing, but who wouldn't love that smile

Would I be right though, that the GENII's have had better sales than the GENI. That would certainly affect its value as there are more on the second hand market.
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

11. Default

what are your opinions on purchasing a s1 Mazda 3 -
    are low km's more important than yr?
    I'm thinking about resell etc
    is it a better option going for say an 08 MPS with around 60XXXks or an 06 with 33XXXks? will the 06 hold its value as closely to the 08 in say 3 years time?