User Tag List

View Poll Results: Have you experienced exhaust smoking in any of these circumstances

Voters
153. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, I've never experienced smoking

57 37.25%
  • Yes, and I have a completely stock exhaust.

51 33.33%
  • Yes, and I have a cat-back or race-pipe.

7 4.58%
  • Yes, and I have a turbo-back or downpipe.

38 24.84%
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Smoking and Turbo Seals

1. Default

hopefully its just the normal smells of the initial oil they put in and stuff

Quote Originally Posted by blackbetty View Post
    hopefully its just the normal smells of the initial oil they put in and stuff
    at 1300kms?

maybe not.
    CES "SS" TBE | SURE "Aeros" SRI | SURE "Sidewinder" TIP | SURE "Return" Recirc Hose | CUSTOM "PWR Core" FMIC | Hypertech "Tuned" | Turbosmart "Atmo" BOV | MSD DashHawk | CP-e REM | SURE "Anchors" Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP and Weight | JBR Heavy Knob |Redline Hood Quick LIFT ELITE | TEIN "SS" Coilovers | Front - Rear HOTCHKIS Swaybars | Front - Rear DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors | A1RM Brake Pads | 18x8 +45 Tenzo-R Cuzco Black V1 | 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | Safe n' Sound baby Seat lol

Quote Originally Posted by LittleredMPS View Post
    I have a question.

Is a good sized puff of smoke common on cold start up?

My LittleredMPS greeted me for the second time in a week with a big, clearly visible puff out the pipes of whitish smoke this morning.

For info my car is a completely stock gen 2 MPS with 1300k on the clock.

Suggestions?

The car is going in for its 1k service next week and I think I might be having something to say about it.

Before anyone suggests it...No it wasnt condensation...and No it wasnt fuel smoke. Went and stuck my head in it. Sort of smelt like oil mixed with burnt plastic.
    Thats what mine smelt like. Definately bring it up with your dealer and next time it happens, take video with your phone or something
    Alcohol - Some Of The Best Times, You Will Never Remember

Thumbs down Add madaz to the evergrowing smokers list

Ok its 3.45 am here in Cairns and I have spent the last 2 hrs reading every post from this thread madaz is in the faulty turbo category
    I would like to thank all the members who have shared their stories I think I have plenty of documented evidence when I Confront Mazda today !!
    Lucky hopefully, for me one of our CAIRNS members is in the warranty section of the Mazda dealer and has a mps himself ,also I will take my lap top in as well with the seven pages of " smoking is bad for your mps,s health" . Perhaps I could use the mps stopwatch to time how long madaz smokes at idle .
    I will let you know how I fared
    Col
    THE COLON FILES
    Coming soon

Good idea col, let us know how you go mate.

6. Default

bump to refresh ppls memories

7. Default 2010 mps

My completely stock 2010 mps blows heaps of white smoke when I floor it. I thought it was normal since it runs on 98 octane and from I what I read it runs a little rich stock. But maybe I'm wrong? The white smoke can be so much at times. Do you guys think it's the turbo seal?

Sure it's white and not grey/black? Get someone else to drive your car and follow in another if you can.

The grey/black smoke cloud is a usual MPS thing, white smoke from a turbo problem will be very white in comparison to this.

To check for a dodgy turbo seal, leave the car to idle for a long period (10mins +) and don't do anything, if you have problems you'll see lots of white smoke after a period of time, if no smoke you're fine.

---------------

I think people become a little hypochondriac-like with these cars. They start looking for problems which don't actually exist after reading threads or Google where someone has had a particular problem and say "me too" where nothing may be wrong with their car as they're not 100% on what they're looking for.
    Last edited by TD; 10-04-2011 at 07:42 PM.

does it look like this:

if so, it's the turbo seals

10. Default

It's definitely white, not black or gray. I've never idled my car for that long but now that you've mentioned I might just do that.

Cool. There's another thread on here with info too which is a bit bigger than this one.

12. Default

Hey guys, sorry to intrude this thread but I thought I'd ask.
    I'm about to purchase a 6 MPS with 152,000 kms on the clock. I've test driven it and everything is immaculate! Only reason is because the previous owner drove about 400kms each day (Bunburry-Perth) and it sits on highways most of it's life.
    I've read this thread and most have problems with the turbo within 30-60k kms etc.
    I'm worried about the turbo going and the dealer offered me 2 years warranty but on the booklet it just stated only 'impeller and bearings only up to 2000 dollars'
    Does this include the seals? or seals are part of it? I'm sorry to sound like a clueless 2 year old. Some help would be appreciated.

Here's the car that I'm about to purchase. Let me know what you think?
    http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/mazda-6-2006-12454589?base=1216&vertical=Car&Range=Price:Min,Ma x~0.5&eapi=2&sort=default&cr=2&__N=1246%201247%201 252%201282%204294965340%204294961345%20904%201216& silo=Stock&find=mps|CarAll

upgrade straight away no point talking about just get a complete bolt up ball bearing GT28 here - GT2871R Bolt On Turbo Kit for Mazdaspeed3 (2007 thru 2010) : atpturbo.com $1750+ shipping usd the added power is a good thing but best of all no smoke at all. All thrust bearing turbos will smoke eventually my bnr does. (all turbos smoke when they're stuffed thrust bearing unit's are more prone to failure because of their design but are a lot cheaper)
    or the this kit if you own a 6 - http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant...egory_Code=MS6 $2400 but comes with tip, turbo, dump pipe, filter, 3" maf housing, all reducer's and clamps + options

---------- Post added at 06:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:38 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by xccude View Post
    Hey guys, sorry to intrude this thread but I thought I'd ask.
    I'm about to purchase a 6 MPS with 152,000 kms on the clock. I've test driven it and everything is immaculate! Only reason is because the previous owner drove about 400kms each day (Bunburry-Perth) and it sits on highways most of it's life.
    I've read this thread and most have problems with the turbo within 30-60k kms etc.
    I'm worried about the turbo going and the dealer offered me 2 years warranty but on the booklet it just stated only 'impeller and bearings only up to 2000 dollars'
    Does this include the seals? or seals are part of it? I'm sorry to sound like a clueless 2 year old. Some help would be appreciated.

Here's the car that I'm about to purchase. Let me know what you think?
    http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/de...ind=mps|CarAll
    you wont be able to push it much because of the kilometer's most shop's wont touch anything over 120,000km unless it has a rebuilt motor because of the increased chance of failure in there warranty period due to the already "stressed" engine internals
    Last edited by Axspeed6; 07-05-2012 at 06:42 PM.
    05 VR 6 MPS LUXURY - WHATS STOCK????
    Winner of Most modified @ Smokeys car meet
    UP an coming events: Winton Track day 17th December

Remember pay by the 16th of November and get free lunch and drinks on day
    Next install: New Head, ARP Studs, Upgraded VVT, BSD, Mazdaspeed Coil Cover, Injector seals + studs

Quote Originally Posted by Axspeed6 View Post
    upgrade straight away no point talking about just get a complete bolt up ball bearing GT28 here - GT2871R Bolt On Turbo Kit for Mazdaspeed3 (2007 thru 2010) : atpturbo.com $1750+ shipping usd the added power is a good thing but best of all no smoke at all. All thrust bearing turbos will smoke eventually my bnr does. (all turbos smoke when they're stuffed thrust bearing unit's are more prone to failure because of their design but are a lot cheaper)
    or the this kit if you own a 6 - http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant...egory_Code=MS6 $2400 but comes with tip, turbo, dump pipe, filter, 3" maf housing, all reducer's and clamps + options

---------- Post added at 06:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:38 PM ----------

you wont be able to push it much because of the kilometer's most shop's wont touch anything over 120,000km unless it has a rebuilt motor because of the increased chance of failure in there warranty period due to the already "stressed" engine internals
    Wait, your smoking with a bnr?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

15. Default

So I own a Gen 1 MPS with 120 000km on the clock. My modifications include a CP-e DP, Turbosmart BOV and Gabriel struts, otherwise the car is stock. Since installing the new DP 2-3 weeks ago now, I'm having embarrassing smoke issues (maybe a 3m long plume to give a rough indicator?) when I boot it in second .. with the stock DP it would puff but it was barely noticeable under the same conditions. Furthermore the car now smells like the aforementioned plastic v oil :/

I stress that the main smoke appears only when I boot it in second and a negligible amount in third. I have done the idling test and the car is fine off a cold start - it does smoke little wisps of white after a long drive as a I cool the car down before I turn the engine off. /edit: if I tap the accelerator it will stop wisping the white smoke and idle 'normally' (no smoke).

Am I fcuked?
    BNR S1 - Cobb SRI (boxed) - CS TIP - CP-e DP - Turbosmart BOV - JBR Mounts
    '06 3 MPS.

Just running rich @Seba.

The smoking condition they refer to, is when you've had a drive, letting it cool down and you get white-ish blue smoke appear.

If you're just getting black as charity carbon, no concern, thats just your 007 Smoke Screen. When I had my MPS3, I used to do that when people pissed me off, like tail gaiting... "cop that biatch"...

this ^
    here's what my exhaust looked like when i left it for ~10 minutes:

18. Default

Holy shit! Alright thanks for the info, I forgot to mention I had 3 mates (mechanics) look over it with their little ECU readers and they all gave it an OK. Is there a way of making the car run poorer? HFFP? New fuel injectors? Stop using 98 octane? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seba View Post
    ... Is there a way of making the car run poorer? HFFP? New fuel injectors? Stop using 98 octane? Thanks
    You don't want to lean it out. It has been assumed that when an MPS runs lean, it's zoom-zoom-boom.

Usually its piston 3 or 4 that shoots thru the sump.

Most of the engines that have "blown up" have shown signs of leaning out. Running rich is good (but not too rich). When giving it a bootful, it's basically going to funnel fuel right in to those injectors!
    2015 Audi S3 | MTX | Sedan | Sepang Blue | Sunroof | SPP1 | Assistance Package | BW - Week 17 | Delivery June/July '15... Hopefully...

Help support OzMPSClub - Become a VIP Member today! - Click here for more details...

Quote Originally Posted by Seba View Post
    Holy shit! Alright thanks for the info, I forgot to mention I had 3 mates (mechanics) look over it with their little ECU readers and they all gave it an OK. Is there a way of making the car run poorer? HFFP? New fuel injectors? Stop using 98 octane? Thanks
    Tune!
    It will be worse after disconnecting the battery or completing a new upgrade until the ECU relearns fuel trims..

As the other guys have said, its 'normal' operation.. go see some skylines with crap tunes and you will see they are even worse :P

A tune will lean it out a little bit, but if you leave it idling for 10 minutes and get a james bond smoke screen you will see what this thread is about.
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast