User Tag List

View Poll Results: Have you experienced exhaust smoking in any of these circumstances

Voters
153. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, I've never experienced smoking

57 37.25%
  • Yes, and I have a completely stock exhaust.

51 33.33%
  • Yes, and I have a cat-back or race-pipe.

7 4.58%
  • Yes, and I have a turbo-back or downpipe.

38 24.84%
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Smoking and Turbo Seals

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_3MPS View Post
    Yeah, it's stock apart from the SRI.

In all fairness a Mazda mechanic at the Dyno Day in April 08 noticed it on my car at 4000km old and told me to take it in. It's now almost 30000km and only in the last 5000km or so has it turned into a smoke machine. This mornings effort was especially impressive!

I'll endeavour to take some video before I get it changed over and post it here.
    Interesting.. On cold mornings you'll get a lot of condensation as well, which might seem to amplify the condition. Mine has only spit white smoke in winter. I get nothing in summer, so I dont think mine has failed..

Quote Originally Posted by Wardski View Post
    Interesting.. On cold mornings you'll get a lot of condensation as well, which might seem to amplify the condition. Mine has only spit white smoke in winter. I get nothing in summer, so I dont think mine has failed..
    Yeah true, but mine was doing it on the warm days also, yesterday was probably assisted by the weather (although car was in warm garage all night).

I will get a video of it, I'm not talking a little bit of smoke...this is thick plumes of the stuff, really quite impressive

Blog Entries

I have not had any smoking since changing the oil weight 3 weeks ago...will keep my fingers crossed!

Smoking like a bitch. Stock everything. Booked in for next friday. Pissed off cause i have to drive 200ks to my nearest service center.

well .....is it possible to chang my poll vote??????

I recently pulled into pick the misses up and boom smoke screen like ive never seen before a quick rev and it was gone ????????

Cant seem to recreate it ????

Called mazda to book in for a 20,000 km service asked if the could check it and lady got all defensive and asked what ade me think i would know if the turbo seal is broke???

Said i have friends here and in sydney with the same problem she was all like its very rare and highly unlikley????

Hopefully they dont try and blame my straight through pipe??????

My car is stock except the straigh through, sri & BOV .......
    マツダスピード

6. Default

awww lynchy how cute you are trying to be like your big cousin blackbetty and blowing smoke out the rear of your black beast

should be good though I got mine done at Slaven and so did Morpheous and I think he has mods
    Last edited by blackbetty; 26-05-2009 at 05:57 PM.

7. Default

Ive said it before, and will say it again. If your service centre doesnt listen to you, then change service centres.. They're all a pack of Bas-tards if you ask me

Quote Originally Posted by LYNCHY View Post
    well .....is it possible to chang my poll vote??????

I recently pulled into pick the misses up and boom smoke screen like ive never seen before a quick rev and it was gone ????????

Cant seem to recreate it ????

Called mazda to book in for a 20,000 km service asked if the could check it and lady got all defensive and asked what ade me think i would know if the turbo seal is broke???

Said i have friends here and in sydney with the same problem she was all like its very rare and highly unlikley????

Hopefully they dont try and blame my straight through pipe??????

My car is stock except the straigh through, sri & BOV .......

Quote Originally Posted by blackbetty View Post
    awww lynchy how cute you are trying to be like your big cousin blackbetty and blowing smoke out the rear of your black beast

should be good though I got mine done at Slaven and so did Morpheous and I think he has mods

Do you know what mods Morpheous got?
    CES "SS" TBE | SURE "Aeros" SRI | SURE "Sidewinder" TIP | SURE "Return" Recirc Hose | CUSTOM "PWR Core" FMIC | Hypertech "Tuned" | Turbosmart "Atmo" BOV | MSD DashHawk | CP-e REM | SURE "Anchors" Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP and Weight | JBR Heavy Knob |Redline Hood Quick LIFT ELITE | TEIN "SS" Coilovers | Front - Rear HOTCHKIS Swaybars | Front - Rear DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors | A1RM Brake Pads | 18x8 +45 Tenzo-R Cuzco Black V1 | 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | Safe n' Sound baby Seat lol

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvandan View Post
    Do you know what mods Morpheous got?
    I just searched his posts, he says he has a cat back custom system installed ... whatever that means
    Taken my boring, bland, lame Subaru and my fat ass and driven off into the sunset with a smile on my face

Well its in for monday so we'll wait and see

Smoking is bad for your health

Good result!

Turbo is being replaced in 2 weeks, no questions asked. Also another couple of minor things have been ordered in to get done at the same time.

Must say I was very impressed with my dealer today, in total contrast to the last service I had. Someone who is into the MPS's must have worked on it, they looked after everything.

So if you're in any doubt, get it checked out.

No smoke screen for me yet...i got my trusty bogan friend to check for me on way home from work

Nicked from MSF - I imagine something very similar to this has been issued to Mazda Australia dealers.
    -----------------------------

SMOKING FROM EXHAUST HOT ENGINE AT EXTENDED IDLE
    Applicable Models
    Model Starting S/N Ending S/N Model Spec
    MAZDA3 2007-2008 000000 ZZZZZZ
    CX7 2007-2008 000000 ZZZZZZ
    MAZDA6 2006-2007 000000 ZZZZZZ

Related Category/Subcategory/Symptoms
    ENGINE / MECHANICAL / WHITE SMOKE,BLUE SMOKE
    ENGINE / EMISSIONS / EXCESSIVE OIL CONSUMPTION
    ENGINE / EMISSIONS / BLACK SMOKE

MTOL - 5505 Dealer Repair Information
    Symptom and Conditions

Vehicles equipped with DISI engines may experience a hot engine extended idle smoking out of the exhaust condition. This condition may also occur while driving in traffic at very slow speeds.

Repair Procedure

To correctly identify this concern have the tech drive the vehicle to insure it is fully warmed up a road test of 5 miles should be adequate.
    Once the engine is fully warmed up allow it to idle for an extended period, this could take up to 30 minutes to produce any type of smoke from the exhaust. Once the smoking has started shut down the engine and perform a compression test and a cylinder leak down test. If both tests results are ok, have the tech remove the precat from the turbo outlet and inspect the exhaust impeller in the turbo for any signs of oil on or around the impeller. The removing of the cat should only be done with a cold engine. Quiz the tech as to the oil change history (time & mileage) what weight oil is being used during vehicle services on vehicles with DISI engines. If there is any sign of oil in the turbo, have the tech replace the turbo, and recheck using the same procedure to confirm the concern is gone.

Standard compression is 185PSI @ 250 RPM
    Leak down less than 10%
    DISI Engines require 5W30 weight oil.

Got mine diagnosed friday, and sure enough oil in the turbo. 2 - 3 weeks for the parts and they will fix her all up for me. Service was pretty ordinary at my dealership.

Good to hear they're replacing it Matt. I'd be betting Mazda Australia head office has issued a directive to replace them as the problem becomes evident...

hey peoples as a follow on from my smoking issue.....

Took it to the dealer for its 20,000km service and notified them that i had seen ALOT of smoke and told then the conditions that it happened e.c.t they were really cool said it was probably an injector? but said they'ed check it all out anyway, when i picked the car up they said they took it for a drive and left it idle for about 1/2 a tank of petrol and there was no signs of smoke at all.....also they said they checked the injector and all was good. They couldnt offer me an explanation as to what may of happened but said bring it back in if there was any probs....

Cut forward 5000km and still no smoke until yesterday....was driving in sydney for about 1.5hrs then pulled up and idled for 10 and low and behold started smoking.....so i videod it on my phone so will pop in there today hopefully and re book it in ....

So if all goes well new turbo for me
    マツダスピード

Lynchy, ask them to check their TSB's (Technical Service Bulletins), I bet there's one that Mazda Australia has issued which covers the problem and it should have VIN ranges and build date ranges of affected vehicles (3 MPS, 6 MPS and CX-7)

^^^ Yeah Dan they said they'ed check that for somthing similar happening ....so touchwood they give me new turbo

Good luck with getting it replaced, some dealers seem pretty keen to jump in and rectify the issue, others (like mine) tried every excuse in the book to avoid replacing the turbo (coolant blockage, injector, cant replicate issue etc), even with me commenting on the TSB on a number of occasions, before they finally came to the party.

If you want a copy of my paperwork on the replacement to help illustrate the issue with your dealer PM me your email address and I'll sent it to you.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast