User Tag List

View Poll Results: Have you experienced exhaust smoking in any of these circumstances

Voters
153. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, I've never experienced smoking

57 37.25%
  • Yes, and I have a completely stock exhaust.

51 33.33%
  • Yes, and I have a cat-back or race-pipe.

7 4.58%
  • Yes, and I have a turbo-back or downpipe.

38 24.84%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Smoking and Turbo Seals

1. Default

new turbo is getting fitted on the 17th

You should ask if they would consider giving you the money and put in a GT2871 instead

Just had my turbo replaced after 32,000. exhaust is stock to the splitter and then 2.5 inch pipes to 2.5 inch mufflers.

After a the car had warmed up and it idled or was allowed to cool and the restart, it produced a James Bond style white smoke screen.

New turbo is awesome, new part number, spools earlier and pulls to 6000rpm. Love it, worth the $0 I spent, best mod in the world

Need help making my turbo smoke! I want a new turbo!

Quote Originally Posted by EQ View Post
    Just had my turbo replaced after 32,000. exhaust is stock to the splitter and then 2.5 inch pipes to 2.5 inch mufflers.

After a the car had warmed up and it idled or was allowed to cool and the restart, it produced a James Bond style white smoke screen.

New turbo is awesome, new part number, spools earlier and pulls to 6000rpm. Love it, worth the $0 I spent, best mod in the world
    I agree the new turbos do spool earlier
    I found the same thing when mine was replaced

Quote Originally Posted by Nuliaj View Post
    Need help making my turbo smoke! I want a new turbo!
    When you find out, let me know too

Teedee, did you have both the 6 and CX-7 turbos replaced or just the 6?
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

Quote Originally Posted by shakespeare View Post
    When you find out, let me know too

Teedee, did you have both the 6 and CX-7 turbos replaced or just the 6?
    Only the 6 it is an 07 model
    the cx7 is an 08 model

8. Default

hmmmm interesting read there ...

well ... my car is a late Feb 2007 build and was delivered at the start of June 2007 with 27km on the clock ...

i just had the 20000km service done not long before, and when I lifted off in second was greeted by a cloud of white smoke that would have done Q proud ...

anyhow ... intermitantly i would get a big old puff of smoke but it would pass ... but hadn't seen any problems for about 6 months

about 3 months ago i had a cat back system installed (custom) and had nothing till a month ago when it came back ... since then i've had it happen twice and it happened when i've let the car idle for a couple of minutes ...

so ... it's happened before and after my cat back was fitted ... and from the looks of the polls, not having an after market exhaust fitted is no protection against shot seals .. at this point 12 shot, 11 healthy, and of the shot it's an even split between exhaust and no exhaust ... mind you, my point should be split between cat back and standard ... it did it before and since

time to give the dealership a call and get me a new turbo

9. Default

Aleks mine is getting done at Slaven

Mine has smoked, but not as much as mentioned here... come to think of it, it was probably because it was a cold morning lol

11. Default

For those of you who havent seen it, heres a vid of mine smoking on the weekend. It was after a day of heavy driving the previous day, but the morning this was taken the car was still fairly cold, had been driving very calmly and it started smoking when I was stopped idling. Car is starting to smell quite bad and now feels a bit sick to drive

YouTube - Blackbetty's smokin Ride
    Last edited by blackbetty; 15-04-2009 at 07:51 AM.
    Taken my boring, bland, lame Subaru and my fat ass and driven off into the sunset with a smile on my face

I can confirm she was driving like a nanna that morning, this was taken about 11am. TG and I met her at her work (assuming she had only driven from home to work) and had breakfast, so the car had been sitting for at least 90 minutes (more so because she was there before us) we had only driven approx 8km and were under the speed limit the whole way before we stopped for photo's in the park where the video was filmed.

Blog Entries

far out!!! thats crazy!! the MPS's turbo seals are turning out like the Maz 3's 3rd gear...always problems.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tricache View Post
    far out!!! thats crazy!! the MPS's turbo seals are turning out like the Maz 3's 3rd gear...always problems.
    Perhaps your gearbox isn't worn-in yet? Since ~28,000K, poss earlier with the penrite SYN 75W90 (?) alternative oil, mine's been slick. Only notice it being notchy when cold now, and quickly warms. It did take a long time to wear in. Really happy with the feel of mine these days.

Certainly a 50% failure rate from those responding to the poll is unexpectedly high and obviously doesn't seem to be related to exhaust mods etc. I think in the past, it's the modders who are more likely to be online talking about it and hence that's why there's been an appearance of it being a mod problem.

Does anyone want another similar thread discussing the third gear "issue"?
    If you've found this thread informative, I'd be inclined to run a small number of others on issues that are common enough to warrant it.

Blog Entries

the 3rd gear "issue" is an old "issue" I think its got to do with the Maz gearbox itself, I have 58,000K on the clock and a fair amount of those KMs was done with a TWM Short Shifter and I haven't had a issue...yet....

*back on topic*
    has this turbo seal problem been more with the 3's or has it been all the way through the turbo maz range? (MPS6, CX7 & CX9)

Quote Originally Posted by tricache View Post
    the 3rd gear "issue" is an old "issue" I think its got to do with the Maz gearbox itself, I have 58,000K on the clock and a fair amount of those KMs was done with a TWM Short Shifter and I haven't had a issue...yet....

*back on topic*
    has this turbo seal problem been more with the 3's or has it been all the way through the turbo maz range? (MPS6, CX7 & CX9)

I'd be very surprised if a CX9 had a turbo issue

BB Has a 6 MPS

What exactly is the 3rd gear issue?

Guys, If you have any other possible warranty issues other than the smoking turbo, please post here
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/tech-...nty-fixes.html

Out of interest...my smoker started at 30,000 literally a few days after a service. During a really really hot period of QLD weather - is extreme heat a possible starter?

Hmmm...biiigger inteercooooleeeer

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast