User Tag List

Thread: Using Oil

1. Angry Using Oil

just approaching 40k kms on my gen 2, upon random inspection, oil level is sitting on the low mark on the dipstick....

at 20k service it was a little below the full, enquired, was told it was normal, at 30k service it was about half way between the full and low marks, was told it was 'normal' for a turbocharged engine to use oil - how much is normal however?

is going in for service next week, sick of hearing that it's 'normal' - a new car requiring significant oil top up between services?

haven't noticed any white smoke, just the typical black unburnt fuel spray..

thoughts? experiences?

My 6 uses no oil between services... These cars are not known for using oil although different factors for different people. If you use the car for commuting to work, low speeds, stop start driving then oil usage would be greater than mainly 'motorway miles'. I will never use my car for short journeys and usually used weekends only - 5000 miles per year.

The level on the dipstick typically only shows about 6-700 ml of the total sump volume, so you aren't burning through litres of the stuff, modern engines, the MPS included use bore squirter's, which spray a tiny amount of oil onto the cylinder walls to aid with lubrication and cooling, I wouldn't really get too concerned, you will also find that thinner oils have more of a tendency to migrate past seals etc, so that can account for some of the consumption, what oil are you running ?

Are you checking the oil with the car in the same place, car warmed up etc, even the slightest of angles on the car can affect the readings.

Did you check the level the last time the car was serviced, or have you taken the mechanics word that the oil was full.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you want to test a man's character - give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by kevstewart View Post
    My 6 uses no oil between services... These cars are not known for using oil although different factors for different people. If you use the car for commuting to work, low speeds, stop start driving then oil usage would be greater than mainly 'motorway miles'. I will never use my car for short journeys and usually used weekends only - 5000 miles per year.
    You live in Scotland and you only do 5000 miles a year, I was there a number of years ago and the (I think you refer to them as) B roads are magic, nice winding country roads, sure they are a little narrow, and the dry stone walls can be a little off putting, but would be fun in the MPS none the less.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you want to test a man's character - give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln

Yeah it's all B roads round by me, I'm 20 miles to nearest main road... It's hard to find suitable roads for doing my Versatune logs - straight&flat is rare. I live up in the highlands, some awesome roads but I'm quite a carefull driver - especially with my partner nagging me!!
    i've just ordered up front and rear strut braces to improve my handling too
    Versatune, BNR turbo, 3" catted downpipe, HTP 3" turbo inlet, CPE diff brace/intercooler/intake/enginemount/towplate, Autotech fuel pump, Sure juggernaught, Eibach springs, oil/boost gauges, JBR EGR delete/catch can/Wheel spacers, Corksport boost tubes/rad cap/strut brace/clutch line, NGK iridium IX Plugs, De-cat&custom exhaust, Turbosmart BPV, VG Sharkfin, Snow stage 2 meth with aquamist jet/parts
    301whp 341 lb/ft at the moment

6. Default

Using castrol edge sport 0W-40 as per the dealership. I've checke after the services and it's always been full, so fairly confident it's used the oil. Even with bore squirters, should the oil level drop to 'below' the low mark? The low mark is designed for lae people to panic somewhat and seek help assuming something is wrong... ??