User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Squealing on Boost

Doesn't sound a major issue if your still running good.
    Your car will be much better once you get your tune set up for your mods
    off topic - what mass airflow figures are you getting? Peak Maf g/s... I get about 270, I'm just curious what other guys are getting... 3rd or 4th gear.
    Also are you getting much Knock, worth keeping an eye on it with your DH, especially with fuel trims being a bit off.
    Versatune, BNR turbo, 3" catted downpipe, HTP 3" turbo inlet, CPE diff brace/intercooler/intake/enginemount/towplate, Autotech fuel pump, Sure juggernaught, Eibach springs, oil/boost gauges, JBR EGR delete/catch can/Wheel spacers, Corksport boost tubes/rad cap/strut brace/clutch line, NGK iridium IX Plugs, De-cat&custom exhaust, Turbosmart BPV, VG Sharkfin, Snow stage 2 meth with aquamist jet/parts
    301whp 341 lb/ft at the moment

Zero knock, i've only log knock ratings of 0.7 after a gear change or coming on boost and thats been for about 0.1 seconds. I'll look and MAF G/S at wot later today lol.

Its running ok, and either the leak is affect fuel trims and causing the car to close the throttle or the fuel pump is no suffiecent enough anymore, cause i've logged when the Fuel PSI has dropped to 1200 at WOT recently and i've felt and logged it died of in all gears 1 -4 at about 3,500 - 5000 rpm then pick up again.
    MPSX-treme

2006 MPS Sports True Red - HP-F Mazedit tune + Other go fast bits - DGR Coilovers + Semi Slicks - Numerous Sure Motorsport Additions - Dashhawk

MAF G/S i got was about 250 - 260 G/S.

I also noticed that once the car was warm/hot the LTFT figure went out to 14.1% which would mean that the leak is greater when the pipes are hot... Which should rule out the attachments around the intercooler core and the cold side piping. Leaving the hot side piping which i think is fine, the TIP and the Exhaust...

4. Default

Here is what us old farts would do. Spray aerostart onto all the joints before the turbo at idle and listen for an engine knock as you give it a rev. this indicates a suction leak. ( not likely as it is a squeal but worth checking) Spray a mixture of detergent and water on the joints after the turbo. look for bubbles. spray dertergent onto intercooler,then all polution control hoses and egr valves brake booster hoses etc looking for the leak. Still no luck spray a little crc onto the inside of the multi veebelt and test drive. any change then go looking at the water pump, drive tensioner or idler. still the same remove turbo inlet and give the rotor a spin by hand while pulling it towards the inlet side. You will feel and hear the chra touching the compressor housing. That should take about 3 beers before moving onto stage 2 of finding the fault.good luck

Thanks Bazzad i tried this on the joints but couldn't find anything , i don't have the time or the resources to trail the other methods you mentioned either.

I'll be contacting HP-F tomorrow and see if they can fix it and install fuel pump internals + re-tune.

The leak has been getting worst the LTFT has reached 20.3%... It grows each time after i drive for more then 15 min but once it went down :S
    MPSX-treme

2006 MPS Sports True Red - HP-F Mazedit tune + Other go fast bits - DGR Coilovers + Semi Slicks - Numerous Sure Motorsport Additions - Dashhawk

I had my best mate buy a new MY11 WRX late last year and after doing a few mods to his he got a almightly squeal on boost as well, he described it as a cat under his hood.
    He did some research and found out that it may have been is turbo actuator......funny enough he got an aftermarket HKS one and got a bracket made and walla....squeal was gone. I know they are 2 very different cars but sounds like a similar thing.

Ok guys i got the boost leak looked at by HP-F as well as installed new fuel pump internals, braided lines and brake fluid and a re tune.

The boost leak was from the Bypass valve but the squeal is still there and the showed me everything that they did, air pressure and smoke tested it and still nothing from the intake side of things at all.

They said to find out it will need to come apart but they said I should worry about it too much is drive 100% perfectly fine and pulls harder now then ever. They said the leak would be a pin sized hole anywhere from dump to inlet manifold or exhaust manifold

For laughs this is the dyno graph before and after they fix the leak and installed fuel pump internals and retuned for the FMIC...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0354.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	184.6 KB 
ID:	10637
    MPSX-treme

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Ok guys i got the boost leak looked at by HP-F as well as installed new fuel pump internals, braided lines and brake fluid and a re tune.

The boost leak was from the Bypass valve but the squeal is still there and the showed me everything that they did, air pressure and smoke tested it and still nothing from the intake side of things at all.

They said to find out it will need to come apart but they said I should worry about it too much is drive 100% perfectly fine and pulls harder now then ever. They said the leak would be a pin sized hole anywhere from dump to inlet manifold or exhaust manifold

For laughs this is the dyno graph before and after they fix the leak and installed fuel pump internals and retuned for the FMIC...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0354.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	184.6 KB 
ID:	10637
    that looks a bit better
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

tell me about it... I think a potato would of look as good as before

As MATT says, no one should have been near the turbo or hoses when fixing the belt tensioner. If a squeal develops after someone has been playing with the belts, it seems almost odds-on it will be belt squeal. But for a belt to squeal it either has to be loose so the pulleys don't engage it properly, or it has to be meeting excessive resistance. It may help to check the free rotation of all the accessories on the belt line, such as aircon compressor jam or something else seizing up, including your new tensioner pulley.

A belt squeal sounds way different to compressed-air squeal anyway. Your nose might help you distinguish them too. Slipping belts smell bad!
    Last edited by Doug_MPS6; 23-03-2012 at 12:03 PM.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Back on this topic, still haven't fixed or been able to find that issue. Been looking at Short Term Fuel Trims and wow i'm not sure what the figures should be on a perfectly stock or healthy MPS but for a reference to mine are as follows:

@ Idle i see 0.0% when i first turn it on and on other occasions.

The other times at idle i've seen it at 18.7% then drop in increments of 0.7% to as low as -5.5%. And also it occurs sometimes going in the other direction starting as low as -8.8% to 12.5%...

While driving around varies around -8% - 8% on a low throttle percentage.

On some WOT or even 2/3 throttle runs seeing sometimes over 40% STFT!

I've done a little re-search and what i've read is that the higher the number the richer the car runs to keep the AFR at the level desired?

If it helps my LTFT vary from 11-18% at idle and then 4.7-8.2% when throttle is applied.

Also i've never had CEL appear regarding Fuel Trims... I've gathered there is a leak post Turbo Charger but would there be also one pre-turbo and what about downpipe?

Keep the suggestions coming guys i want this issue fixed

Cheers James
    MPSX-treme

Bump for any advice?

If not maybe in a couple of days i'll make a thread just to deal with STFT and LTFT issues.

Cheers Guys

Default Re: Squealing on Boost

Stft at wot, don't worry too Much about that...

Ideally ltft should be -/+ 5% but as you got a one off tune, you are unable to readjust you MAF calibration to different weather conditions

>20% either way would suggest either a boost or intake leak

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    Stft at wot, don't worry too Much about that...

Ideally ltft should be -/+ 5% but as you got a one off tune, you are unable to readjust you MAF calibration to different weather conditions

>20% either way would suggest either a boost or intake leak

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    O ok yeah i've got some goodies coming for Sure, HPFP and JBR that will be installed soon and while everything is off i'll be having a good look at it , thanks man
    MPSX-treme

Well I found the boost leak , haven't been able to fix it since it is on the cold side of the intercooler (connector) and need to remove the front bumper to fix it . That will be done this weekend and then another test once the bumper is off the confirm it's fixed.

Hopefully that solves the issues... Strange that 2 different workshops with good rep's have been able to find the leak before though.

Will keep this thread up dated
    MPSX-treme

excuse me if I missed this through the thread and its already been tried... however this type of squealing under boost is usually the upper intake manifold not being torqued down properly and the metal gasket is loose at one section... Under pressure...i.e on boost, this loose part of the gasket vibrates as air rushes by escaping from the UIM... hence the squealing sound under boost

The pressure and smoke test won't show anything unless you're hitting more than.. 12Psi...

My money is on that!

Quote Originally Posted by Bensai View Post
    excuse me if I missed this through the thread and its already been tried... however this type of squealing under boost is usually the upper intake manifold not being torqued down properly and the metal gasket is loose at one section... Under pressure...i.e on boost, this loose part of the gasket vibrates as air rushes by escaping from the UIM... hence the squealing sound under boost

The pressure and smoke test won't show anything unless you're hitting more than.. 12Psi...

My money is on that!
    Nope this is a new idea of what it could be , i'll be fixing the leak tomorrow and if the noise goes away and the car hits 17.5psi all will be solved.

If not i've already got a new intake manifold gasket coming from HPFP so that will solve that aswell, currently its a stock intake manifold and gaskets.

Thank for the input and hopefully it's answered tomorrow.

Question if it's a pin hole leak would smoke still escape through it?
    MPSX-treme

A pin hole leak in a vacuum line will show up in a smoke test, it may be hard to find, but you should be able to find it....

Your squealing sound under boost is definitely a metal gasket!, my second guess would be the turbo manifold gasket, however you would usually hear an exhaust tick at idle with that one.

Will find out tomorrow , i'm excitied lol been 9 months with a leak lol.

How'd you go? Find the problem?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast