User Tag List

Thread: Airbox mod?

Default Airbox mod?

Hey guys,

What's this airbox mod the mazdaspeed guys are talking about? All the photo guides are dead... Is it basically pulling out the resonator under the stock airbox cause I've already done that...
    Is it worth removing the snorkel in front of the airbox? What else needs to be done? I don't believe the MPS has the 'flapper' in the airbox either?
    I'm getting an aftermarket intake soon but felt like doing this in the mean time....

Cheers.

Resonator removal yes.
    Snorkel removal no point.
    Cutting holes - noise = power right?

Gen I or 2? The snorkel on the Gen 2 is a cold air feed, you'd be mad to remove it.

From all reports you get basically all the power gains from simply using a hi flow filter.

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    Gen I or 2? The snorkel on the Gen 2 is a cold air feed, you'd be mad to remove it.

From all reports you get basically all the power gains from simply using a hi flow filter.
    Liquid drives a 6 MPS
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Quote Originally Posted by xliquidx View Post
    I don't believe the MPS has the 'flapper' in the airbox either?
    Mine had a 'flapper' - a sort of plastic covering that I found really hard to take off without breaking stuff, so in the end I just put on a SRI and TIP. Much more whoosh now

Quote Originally Posted by tomithy View Post
    Mine had a 'flapper' - a sort of plastic covering that I found really hard to take off without breaking stuff, so in the end I just put on a SRI and TIP. Much more whoosh now
    Yeah I ended up gutting it, saw the bottom of the airbox has a bit you can remove its clipped in and a bit of a bitch to remove but I got it, can hear the turbo now, was fun until my SRI arrives