User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modding time already!!!

Default Modding time already!!!

The time has come, to mod the MPS (I think) hehehe....
    now, because it will be my first time ever modding an engine I've done suspension and wheels and that sort of stuff to other cars but have never touched an engine bay hehe...
    anyway, what's everyone's opinion on what to do first, obviously im after power gains would love to get a better 0-100km/h time so has that got to do with Kw or torque whatever it is, i want more of hehehe...
    anyway ill be outright and honestly speaking at the moment have a max. of $500 to spend bit low on $$ at the moment seeing i just bought the car anyway,
    what's my first step? what do i get for the car first?
    I do have a good friend who's a pretty good mechanic so he can install whatever it is i get hehehe...
    So if anybody could give me their opinions and how much it would cost and how much power gains it would give approx.
    that would be very much appreciated.

Thank you all.

For that sort of budget, I would recommend a Hypertech tuner, or save up a bit more (while we are waiting for its official release) and buy a Cobb AP, both will give you best BFYB in that price bracket, and will support most future mods, the AP will deliver more value than the Hypertech in the long term though.

Few options up your sleeve mate. If I were you I'd probably look into intake. Something to give it a bit of induction sound is nice. It provides a means for a great set-up for future mods (it all starts with air intake to produce power) A Sri or CAI (have a search into which on the forum, plenty of discussion on this) and if you can squeeze some more funds maybe a TIP too.

If you plan to keep the stock turbo, I think Hypertech might have a GenII flash released now. Get rid of that 0-60 restriction and reduced boost in first few gears.

Downpipe will blow your budget but another mod to consider down the track

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Quote Originally Posted by MattMPS3 View Post
    I would recommend a Hypertech tuner, or save up a bit more (while we are waiting for its official release)
    I thought GenII hypertech tune was released a while ago? Thought a few members expressed interest and they said it'll be soon (that was months ago)

M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

ok cool thanks guys,
    now, could one of use point me in the right direction for a cai or sri, as in were to get it from (so i dont get ripped off) how much i'd expect to spend on it and will i get a noticeable power difference?

Also what does a "TIP" stand for? and what doe sit do, and how much?

I know they are stupid questions, but hey if i dont ask i will never find out.

so yeahhh

thanks again

---------- Post added at 01:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 PM ----------

i know its asking abit much, but if anyone here is local to me as in south eastern side of melb. and has a couple of mods done to there MPS3 want to meet up somewhere so i could have a look at the mods use have done and get a better understanding of it..
    thaknks

---------- Post added at 01:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 PM ----------

guys i have just found this, is it worth me getting now or no?
    CPE Top Mount Intercooler MS3 MS6

TIP = Turbo Inlet Pipe.

There is no point in getting an intercooler until you have upgraded other parts. Get a Dump Pipe and Intake before worrying about a new intercooler.

I will be in Melbourne this coming weekend and we are trying to organize a little get together for friday night. Watch this thread: http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/club-...tml#post206349

Part of the fun is the research. Best bet is to search the forum (Check out the intake threads), this will give you an idea as to what people are using. Then, once you have a couple of intakes in mind, search youtube to give you an idea as to the sound each intake offers.

Your choices are between an SRI (Short Ram Intake) or CAI (Cold Air Intake). I'm not an expert on the pro's and con's, but one thing you need to be careful of with a CAI is water intake (the filter element is situated towards the bottom of your engine bay - behind the front bumper, while the SRI sits higher.

I am running a Corksport SRI and TIP (TIP is the Turbo Intake Pipe - the factory one restrictive).

As for power gains, if you recieve any, they will be minimal. But this is a good starting point for further mods (plus, you get a sweet new sound coming from your engine bay!!)

I'm in the Western suburbs, so not really that close, and at the moment, engine-wise, only my intake has been modded. Welcome to check it out for yourself though.

cool cool, okay guys so im looking at an SRI and TIP and ill get back to use when i have found something hehe. thanks for the info.
    Reedy, yeah i saw that post befor and i will most likely be heading down towards there for a little meet up.
    thkans

Quote Originally Posted by rogwick View Post
    I thought GenII hypertech tune was released a while ago? Thought a few members expressed interest and they said it'll be soon (that was months ago)
    You didn't quote my entire sentence Andre, I was suggesting that the OP wait for the AP to be officially launched.

For that sort of budget, I would recommend a Hypertech tuner, or save up a bit more (while we are waiting for its official release) and buy a Cobb AP

If you are after fancy noises and a bit of performance buy an SRI or CAI and a bov, don't waste your money on a TIP until you have sorted out a lot of other breathing mods,

If you are after the maximum power return on your specified budget, buy a tune, the tune will make the car a lot more enjoyable, as this is the only way to remove the power restrictions present in the lower gears, as well as giving you a bit more boost etc, the AP will also give you the advantages of Launch control, Flat foot shifting, data logging & code clearing and a virtual gauge (of your choice) with shift light.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you want to test a man's character - give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln

ok MattMPS3,
    so with the tune, they will boost my turbo? if so is this safe? and were can i go to get a tune? and how much would that cost me?
    and a SRI only cost $150 to $250 so if the tune is at $500 i can pull another $250 out heheh... the mod bug is a crzy thing, i can already feel its getting the better of me hehehe

I was referring to either the Hypertech, or preferably the Cobb AP tune in a box devices (a custom dyno tune currently is around the 2k mark), the AP retails for $595 US (+ delivery). Both devices support the majority of after market intake kits available so you aren't tied down to any particular brand in parts choices. I would recommend that you choose an intake with air straighteners before the MAF sensor, these ensure that the ECU is reading the true air stream and is not affected by turbulent air flow.

You didn't quote my entire sentence Andre, I was suggesting that the OP wait for the AP to be officially launched.
    I just shortened it, you were referring to waiting for the other tune (being the wait) misunderstood and thought you meant waiting for the hypertech to be released.
    You move onto a new point after the (,) now I get ya! So hypertech is available for the GenII, cool

M P S

[/COLOR]SURE Motorsports | SURE Motorsports
    Areos + Sidewinder. Sound and sucking up hot air unless you also build a nice CAI set up.

Or
    Best Brands, Best Service, Best Prices have a good special on turbosmart BOVs at the moment. For sound and hold some more boost

If improving 0-100 time is what your after, I suggest investing in better tyres.
    You will also get a better handling and safer car as an added bonus.
    Plenty of very modified cars that struggle to match a stock car purely because they can't get grip.

But if you do feel the need for power, hypertech tuner is a good cheap start.
    However once you start getting more serious its ability runs out quick. So in the long term, if you plan to mod more the Cobb AP would be better value even at the extra cost

Everything that Matt says is spot on. If my budget was only $500 to start with, getting a Hypertech or stretching to a Cobb AP when they're released would be the go.

If it was my money, I'd keep saving and get a Cobb AP (prob $625-650 landed?) when they're officially released for the Australian market, then grab an intake after that. Next step after that would be a downpipe. Enjoy modding!

Breathing mods for power.
    Intake, as suggested. $150-$400 depending on what you want.
    SRI without a box is useless.
    REM (Rear engine mount) It'll put more power to the ground. $150-$250

Play with tyre pressures, it's free and you'll learn alot about what works better for you and your driving style.

Get a second job, forget weekends with the girlfriend , buy her a playstation to play with, become best mates with the bank manager,go to Las Vegas and get lucky.
    Your now screwed

okay cool so im getting the drift thanks guys... so first things first ill go for the hypertech tuner, but can somebody point me in the right direction on who to call or where to get it done?? iim in mlebourne.
    and how much $$ it will cost.

thanks all

Quote Originally Posted by Oldhead View Post
    Get a second job, forget weekends with the girlfriend , buy her a playstation to play with, become best mates with the bank manager,go to Las Vegas and get lucky.
    Your now screwed
    Why the hell do you think I'm detailing cars on my weekends?!?
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

I'm in the south eastern, even though I have an mps6 you can get some rough ideas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast