User Tag List

Thread: Is new ECU really required after Cat-back upgraded?

Default Is new ECU really required after Cat-back upgraded?

Recently I had my stock cat-back upgraded in Castle Hill for $950. The exhaust sound is substantially throatier and deeper from idle to high rpm which is quite good for $950. However, when i took my car to MRT, they suggested i should have the ECU upgraded ($1500-$1700) so i can get the most out of my new cat-back, such as to allow more air flow as stock ECU dont recognise this modification. Also MRT mentioned if ECU is not upgraded, it might have negative effect on the engine management in future. I'm not a hard driver and not quite financially prepared to spend another grand on getting that 15% power increase unless it is really gonna do damage to the engine. Appreciate all opinions from members. Thanks in advance!

From all the research I have done, with a cat back exhaust system you should not need to have your ECU upgraded or re-tuned, the main bottle kneck in the exhaust system on the MPS's are the Cat's so if you have just gone cat back I don't believe there will be any problems for you staying with the stock tune.

As far as ECU tunes go, if i was you I would wait a little longer and in the meantime do some research on the Cobb AccessPORT, this tuning device is currently in testing for the Australian market and is one of the prefered tuning choices in the USA for the Mazdaspeed platform (MPS3 & 6 in Australia) the great thing with this device is you will be able to flash a tune to your ECU and also edit the tune or have it edited by professional tuners and it will also allow you to monitor whats going on in your ECU all this with some substantial change out of the price that you quoted in your post above. Hope this helps you out. Cheers
    GENII 2009 MPS LUX

Parting Out

No, Catback does SFA.. its replacing the pipe AFTER the restriction which is..uhhh the cat
    MRT are FOS. You dont NEED a tune for any of the bolt on mods bar a turbo.
    Sounds like scare tactics to me, id be skeptical of ANY difference from only a catback, other than some ear pleasure.

Of course though, to make the most of your mods you should look into getting one, mainly after intake + dump pipe, then id recommend a tune.
    Even a tune on an otherwise stock car is a benefit, but you dont need to (or will you) make any more power because of the catback.

Besides, if you are after an ECUTek tune, go and see Tunehouse, they are forum sponsors and are trusted by the fussiest MPS owners here
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Appreciate your honest and sound advice. I'm quite new to the mods world but am doing wide readings as much as i can. Definitely need advices from people whose best interest is not making sh!t loads of money out of customers.

---------- Post added at 11:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    No, Catback does SFA.. its replacing the pipe AFTER the restriction which is..uhhh the cat
    MRT are FOS. You dont NEED a tune for any of the bolt on mods bar a turbo.
    Sounds like scare tactics to me, id be skeptical of ANY difference from only a catback, other than some ear pleasure.

Of course though, to make the most of your mods you should look into getting one, mainly after intake + dump pipe, then id recommend a tune.
    Even a tune on an otherwise stock car is a benefit, but you dont need to (or will you) make any more power because of the catback.

Besides, if you are after an ECUTek tune, go and see Tunehouse, they are forum sponsors and are trusted by the fussiest MPS owners here

If they want to throw thousands dollars to my face, i better seek public opinion of nonprofits. If i understand correctly, tune is recommended for turbo-back mods, but not cat-back.

Quote Originally Posted by throaty6MPS View Post
    Appreciate your honest and sound advice. I'm quite new to the mods world but am doing wide readings as much as i can. Definitely need advices from people whose best interest is not making sh!t loads of money out of customers.

---------- Post added at 11:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 PM ----------

If they want to throw thousands dollars to my face, i better seek public opinion of nonprofits. If i understand correctly, tune is recommended for turbo-back mods, but not cat-back.
    it's suggested, wouldnt say you HAVE to get it though....
    and as has been said above, no need for tune for a cat back... it's just sound, doesnt do much for power etc
    honestly, if you gained 1% extra power from a cat back, would be amazed
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    it's suggested, wouldnt say you HAVE to get it though....
    and as has been said above, no need for tune for a cat back... it's just sound, doesnt do much for power etc
    honestly, if you gained 1% extra power from a cat back, would be amazed
    I'm quite happy with current power output, and 6 MPS has lot of torque! The only downside is that stock exhaust is rather quiet, so i think modified cat-back is enough for the time being. Next upgrade is probably CSA rims, lol. do i have a poor taste or what?