User Tag List

Thread: Does anyone how what's this? Doesn't it blocks the air??

Default Does anyone how what's this? Doesn't it blocks the air??

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0277.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	153.5 KB 
ID:	10448 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0278.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	137.2 KB 
ID:	10449 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0279.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	123.5 KB 
ID:	10450

Hi boys and girls,

does anyone know what is this box used for?
    it's located between the front bumper and the front passenger side tyre.
    it's also underneath the stock air box. the hose shows in the 1st picture which joint the pipe of the stock air box.
    this thing is enclosed. so how does the air come into this box and goes up to the upper air box and then though the TIP into the engine?

is this a necessary part of the air intake? coz i just took it out and hope there will be more air sucking in.

cheers,
    ryan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0277.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	343.7 KB 
ID:	10447  

Its like a muffler for your intake, throw it in the bin.

^^ yep, called a resonator it gets rid of the AWSOME "ssssssshhhhhHHHHHH" intake sound

Do you need to repipe anything or can you just leave the stock airbox pipe leading... Nowhere?

Thank you guys.

, weight reduction and more air
    WIN WIN!

Its actually in the instructions to remove this for most aftermarket intakes anyways

are there any possibility that water can gets into the intake in heavy rain?

Quote Originally Posted by ryancn View Post
    are there any possibility that water can gets into the intake in heavy rain?
    CAI most definately, SRI (or stock) - no (best to use)

A really good way to suck in a serious amount of dust is to remove the resonator box without blanking off the the air-box port that links with the resonator.
    Last edited by Doug_MPS6; 21-02-2012 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_MPS6 View Post
    A really good way to suck in a serious amount of dust is to remove the resonator box without blanking off the the air-box port that links with the resonator.
    why is that...?

Hi Ryan, I'm not sure if your question is tongue in cheek or not but will assume it is genuine. If you remove the resonator, all that is left is the air-filter box, with its open port underneath that used to communicate with the resonator. If the port in the bottom of the filter box isn't blocked off, then dust is ingested into the filter box. You will see that the point of union between them is protected by a foam gasket for this reason. Considering this resonator and the associated port is in about the dustiest location imaginable, namely behind the wheel arch and low down, with venting in the front valance area, it is guaranteed to suck in everything around.

Unless you plan on installing a CAI or SRI, then I'd recommend leaving the resonator in place until such time as you do. My views on CAI's are well known here, although I know not everyone agrees with me. The SRI is simpler, has a shorter air-path and is less prone to a variety of troubles, including pipe vibration and cracking, including its mounts, more heat soak due to longer plumbing, and potential for water ingestion. Frankly, I think they are a pain in the butt and just take up engine bay space to little or no distinct advantage.

And s I have noted elsewhere, removing the resonator just to produce "noise" seems senseless. Modify for true functionality, not rubbish cosmetic effects.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_MPS6 View Post
    Hi Ryan, I'm not sure if your question is tongue in cheek or not but will assume it is genuine. If you remove the resonator, all that is left is the air-filter box, with its open port underneath that used to communicate with the resonator. If the port in the bottom of the filter box isn't blocked off, then dust is ingested into the filter box. You will see that the point of union between them is protected by a foam gasket for this reason. Considering this resonator and the associated port is in about the dustiest location imaginable, namely behind the wheel arch and low down, with venting in the front valance area, it is guaranteed to suck in everything around.

Unless you plan on installing a CAI or SRI, then I'd recommend leaving the resonator in place until such time as you do. My views on CAI's are well known here, although I know not everyone agrees with me. The SRI is simpler, has a shorter air-path and is less prone to a variety of troubles, including pipe vibration and cracking, including its mounts, more heat soak due to longer plumbing, and potential for water ingestion. Frankly, I think they are a pain in the butt and just take up engine bay space to little or no distinct advantage.

And s I have noted elsewhere, removing the resonator just to produce "noise" seems senseless. Modify for true functionality, not rubbish cosmetic effects.

Sorry mate, I misunderstand your words in the previous post.

I removed the resonator is not for the sound but air. Coz with the resonator on, i can't see where the air goes into the air filter box..
    I was thinking to get a SRI or CAI for my mps, but CAI seems to risky in wet. And with out a right heat shield, the SRI will sucks all hot air which is not good too.
    Please correct me if im wrong. In my opinion, even if i get a SRI with a good shield. it still seems like a air filter sits in a box which works similar to the standard air box?
    that's why i end up with a K&N panel air filter and removed the resonator.

So in this case i need to cut of the air-box port to prevent sucking dust from the bottom?

Thank you for your advises mate!!

Yes Ryan, I meant to mention that the other reason I don't like CAI's is the proximity of their pod filters to the biggest source of dust around. And the location is a daft place to get to to service the pod filter. That is another reason to prefer the SRI. Easy to service and stays cleaner longer. Folks make a big deal about the SRI "getting hot air" but I have run comparison temp readings on the inlet pipes standard and with my first mod which was an SRI and one could not be definitive about any great differences, certainly not when running free on an open road when a tonne of air is washing through the engine bay. To be sure, a neat little airbox around the SRI would help a bit as long as air was ducted to it from the grill area. But I never figured it was worth cluttering up my engine bay with, considering the modest returns on effort.

The air does not go in through the bottom of the air-filter box. That hole is just a passive aperture to enable the flux of air pressure to oscillate back and forth between resonator and air-filter box. The induction air is taken through a funny little vertical snorkel into the side of the air-filter box. It has a sort of fixed plastic flap over the top, near and below the front bonnet lip, so inattentive types don't drop bits into the intake accidentally.

Regardless of what you do with your current stock filter, (and a K&N lifetime replacement is a good idea), if you remove the resonator you must blank off the intake pipe in the bottom of the air-filter box or you will suck dust. But remember to make sure the K&N is fitted with a good edge seal, and to service the K&N occasionally following the instructions, and make sure the dealer or service centre doesn't toss your K&N filter at service time! It happens!

Cheers
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Really?? I thought SRI without heat shield should gets much warmer air then the stock intake does.
    Damn.. i should have got a SRI install instead of the panel filter then.

Despite the SRI, i thought a K&N panel filter with the resonator removed will works similar with the CAI (except CAI sucks more air) which will only cause the air filter to get dirty easier therefore brings the need to serve it earlier? but the filter can still stops dust from getting into the engine with or without blocking the air intake port?
    It does gain a little bit more power since i took off the resonator. So unless it causes any damage to my car, otherwise I'm not really willing to blank off the port...

I've had water on my SRI, got a CEL on a rainy day... Does the water get in from wheel arch area or does it get in through a gap between headlight and bonnet?
    I bought one of those Pre-filters/element shield and have had no more CEL's but I can see all the crap on it after a wet day.

Must be a design issue, Kev. More likely headlight/bonnet gap. I've had my engine running in a "touch-free" car wash with high pressure jets playing on the bonnet lip at all angles and never had a stumble out of mine. It'd be easy to shroud anyway. And unless you totally swamped it, you'd be unlikely to get a hydraulicking issue with it, unlike with a lot of CAI set-ups I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by kevstewart View Post
    I've had water on my SRI, got a CEL on a rainy day... Does the water get in from wheel arch area or does it get in through a gap between headlight and bonnet?
    I bought one of those Pre-filters/element shield and have had no more CEL's but I can see all the crap on it after a wet day.
    I'd be confident the water is entering via the wheel arch. I have removed part of the rubber seal between the bonnet and headlight to increase airflow to the SRI and never had water problems. I have however had water enter through the wheel arch when I was running the stock airbox without a resonator, it saturated the paper element and shorted out the MAF sensor causing a CEL. Adding to what Doug said about dust, obviously water gets in there also. But I would point out that the water doesn't find its own way in, it's pulled in when the engine is under load and taking a very deep breath.

Gone to Volvo