User Tag List

Thread: Turbo Upgrade Cheetah by Garrett GT2871r Ball Bearing

Default Turbo Upgrade Cheetah by Garrett GT2871r Ball Bearing

Hi Guys (and Gals too),
    I was looking into upgrading the turbo on my Gen 1 MPS to the Garrett GT2871r. I had considered the BNR stage 3 but without a ball bearing centre and $100 difference i prefer the garrett.
    I had a ball bearing centred turbo on a previous car and liked its low spool up time better hi psi support plus the added advantage of its ability to withstand oil pressure drops (premature shutdown for example).
    As yet i can't find anyone who has used this unit and am concerned it will be not appropriate and a waste of time.
    My goals with this are simple, I would like to run lower boost psi than stock turbo does keeping the same power and torque levels (which with this unit i believe is possible) and then having a higher boost setting for fun times at or slightly above 15-17 psi (big boost psi concerns me greatly). Last vehicle had same boost as stock MPS and only 2.0 litres but output same kW at the wheels compared to flywheel for the MPS. Is any of this possible or am i just chasing my tail.
    Currently have CAI and catback exhaust both for the noise and a cp-e standback and PnP harness for later tuning.
    Considering along with turbo a turbo inlet upgrade (a must for the GT2871r), a dump pipe and mid pipe (not sure which yet Cobb, cp-e or mrt?) and a corksport TMIC for stock look.
    All to be hopefully fitted at home by me and tuned locally in Wollongong
    Thanks

Speak to some shops mate get some builders opinions

Nothing wrong with the GT2871r but if you want to run lower boost then stock and still have a similar output i would think you'd need something a little bigger. atleast a 3071. As of last night i've been running 19.5psi on my stock internals and haven't blown yet... still early days though

also not a fan of the standback. I got one to tune my BNR stage 3 but couldn't get the thing to work.

Can't comment on the turbo., but tuning in wollongong I can STRONGLY reccomend Suothern Motor Works in Albion Park, go down and have a chat.

Also, no CPE standback or PnP cables needed, sell it and pay for tuning only.

Here's the thread I made:

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/dyno-...tor-works.html

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy22587 View Post
    Nothing wrong with the GT2871r but if you want to run lower boost then stock and still have a similar output i would think you'd need something a little bigger. atleast a 3071. As of last night i've been running 19.5psi on my stock internals and haven't blown yet... still early days though

also not a fan of the standback. I got one to tune my BNR stage 3 but couldn't get the thing to work.
    Lol.
    ^^^The message is up there stupid^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy22587 View Post

Once you get an upgraded fuel pump you should be safe though yeah? With a nice tune?

Your current mods are basically what i've got planned for my 3 but the BNR3 and Downpipe will be the last thinks to add
    MPSX-treme

2006 MPS Sports True Red - HP-F Mazedit tune + Other go fast bits - DGR Coilovers + Semi Slicks - Numerous Sure Motorsport Additions - Dashhawk

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Once you get an upgraded fuel pump you should be safe though yeah? With a nice tune?

Your current mods are basically what i've got planned for my 3 but the BNR3 and Downpipe will be the last thinks to add
    My new fuel pump is on the way

However i've reviewed the data from my current setup and it manages to hold 1700psi of fuel pressure from about 3500rpm onwards while running a 11.8 AFR so its not too bad but i'd like it to have more pressure before 3000rpm.

Should also be known that i'm running meth with this tune so thats probably playing a big part in not blowing up