User Tag List

Thread: Shudder when turning in reverse

Default Shudder when turning in reverse

Morning guys

I've got a strange intermittent shuddering that occurs in my mps6 when I'm reversing around a corner.
    There is noticable play in the diff (knocking etc), however when I reverse straight it seems normal enough, but occasionally when I turn 90 degrees while in reverse, it starts doing this horrible shuddering, that feels like something catching (almost like tyres rubbing and catching in the guards - however this isn't the case). It happens while the clutch is in or out, doesn't matter, and has done it once with the handbrake up one click.

Would this be something caused by the diff mounts failing? Or something more serious like uni joints etc?

Cheers fellas

Aaron

EDIT: lol, five seconds after posting I find an answer. For those searching:
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/gener...reversing.html
    Last edited by MadAussie; 20-02-2012 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAussie View Post
    Morning guys

I've got a strange intermittent shuddering that occurs in my mps6 when I'm reversing around a corner.
    There is noticable play in the diff (knocking etc), however when I reverse straight it seems normal enough, but occasionally when I turn 90 degrees while in reverse, it starts doing this horrible shuddering, that feels like something catching (almost like tyres rubbing and catching in the guards - however this isn't the case). It happens while the clutch is in or out, doesn't matter, and has done it once with the handbrake up one click.

Would this be something caused by the diff mounts failing? Or something more serious like uni joints etc?

Cheers fellas

Aaron

EDIT: lol, five seconds after posting I find an answer. For those searching:
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/gener...reversing.html
    Aaah, the beauty of the search function.
    FWIW, mine does exactly the same, and will stall if I'm not careful.

It is the differential lock and it's relationship with the AWD system. It often occurs when executing a tight turn, uphill, in reverse, on a hard surface. You will find that it will not occur on loose surfaces such as gravel, as the tyres can slip and relieve the transmission wind-up. Often it depends on the way you entered the manoeuvre or the way your turned in and parked before commencing the reverse. If you turn in sharp one way and then try to exit on the opposite lock, the transmission had already got itself well wound-up and this makes it most prone to the problem. The forces involved are huge and can stall your motor. It does get better as the car ages and the diff plates and springs free up a bit. Best solution is to be aware of it and ease the car forward one way to relieve the loads before commencing the reverse. Or if commencing a reverse and experiencing it, stop and move forward again to relieve the load and make your turn in two bites, as if doing a three point turn. It sounds a daunting thing but I find it no real issue. You learn to accommodate it. I have written on this elsewhere in this forum but haven't had time to find it.

FWIW, my AWD Toyota Landcruiser 80-series does exactly the same thing. It has a diff lock and is Full time 4WD. It only did it on a hard reverse turn on a steep slope like my old driveway, when backing out onto the street and when the axle was cold. Once warmed up and the lube has circulated the diff plates, it rarely did it.
    Last edited by Doug_MPS6; 20-02-2012 at 02:03 PM.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18