User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noob question?

Default Noob question?

Hi all,
    I do have a noob question most likely veryone here will know the answer to and it is stupid because the answer is probably wright in front of my eyes.. But where is the temperature gauge in the gen 2 Mazda 3 mps?
    Lol I can read up in the manual and mist likely find the answer but thought I may aswell post it up on here.
    Cheers

from memory there is a "your engine is cold" light that goes away when your engine is warm...

^This. You don't have one...The blue light is the once you watch.

If you really want to worry about temp, there are lots of after market devices to help with that.

Seriously, just watch the boost gauge, it's the best one

Ohhhh okay lol funny it doesnt have one..
    Yeldarb how do I kno if my engine is warm by turbo gauge?
    Sorry never had a turbo before.
    I mean I know where the turbo gauge is located and stuff but not sure how to tell if engine is warm by turbo gauge.
    Sorry

Hahah, he means the boost gauge is the most fun to watch. Nothing to do with whether the engine is up to temp or not

If you're worried about coldrunning your engine, then the best thing to do is let it idle til it comes down to about 1000rpm, then dont WOT (flat foot it), til the blue 'im too cold' light goes away. If you happen to get a red 'fark its hot in here' light, then turn it off, pop the bonnet, and rub ice over her nippl..... er.......... *cough*..... just turn it off!

With my oil temp guage installed, it takes at least 10 minutes of driving before it starts moving... However that's in the colder Scottish climate

Hehe, Thanks for the explanation Dan. My humor occasionally doesn't make sense.

My experience above, once the idle is down and the blue light is gone, you're probably good to go.

If you don't like the boost gauge you can deactivate it, but not sure why you'd do that :-/

These are modern cars, build to handle (to a point) people who go WOT as soon as they jump in. God knows the ramifications of that (doubt anyone will admit they do this), but I think you'll be fine if you follow the Blue light.
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

I always wait a few mins after the blue light goes out before I'll give it any serious beanage

Just me being conservative rather than having any actual scientific basis behind it.

On average it takes a car 7minutes for a car to reach operating temp.

If your really worried, get a scangauge or OBD2 Bluetooth adaptor and an app like "torque" that will monitor water temp and much more.

Lots of cars don't have normal temperature gauges anymore. I guess its because its not really needed anymore.
    If you do have a temperature related problem the ECU will put the car into limp mode before any damage occurs

Ohhhh okay lol so there's a light that means when I picked up my car from dealers they must of warmed the car up before I got inn as I didnt see any lights red or blue on the dash.
    Thanks again

I monitor temperature with my obd2 scanner. Other than that yea, no temp gauge, just a blue "cold" light and a red "too hot" one.

That's one thing I live about the gen 2 instruments, it doesn't burden you with too much information. And it's very clear when something is wrong.

I start and idle the car then walk to open my yard gates - by the time I have rolled through, stopped and got out to close the gates, then got back in and rolled down the drive, the temp guage has started to move. Usually in Perth ambient temps it has reached 50C by this time on the DashHawk. By the end of my suburban street it is at 60-65C and pretty good for modest power, but I won't WOT it. Normal running in traffic right now is between 75-82C, with a rise to 84C on prolonged idle at lights or waiting for the usual Perth turkeys to decide what they are supposed to be doing.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

75% of engine wear starts on engine start up!

The blue light goes off basically once oil is at full pressure and pumping everywhere. On my car its on for 60-90 sec, which is how long I wait until driving off from stone cold anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed3 View Post
    The blue light goes off basically once oil is at full pressure and pumping everywhere. On my car its on for 60-90 sec, which is how long I wait until driving off from stone cold anyway.
    +1

Peter "SLIXX"

Snapped by Tangcla - FB Page
    Currently RaydTuned
    Lots of love from 2XS Racing & Dan's Garage Detailing

yeah cool, basically my blue light turns of in about 3-5min i just start her up and have a smoke outside by the time i get back in she's all warmed up atleast this time of year most likely in winter on the cold mornings might take abit longer but yeah, thanks for the info. all

BMW always had a good warm up theory before getting too happy with the throttle, "10 miles or 10 minutes, whichever comes first"

Respect.

Quote Originally Posted by mpsexn View Post
    yeah cool, basically my blue light turns of in about 3-5min i just start her up and have a smoke outside by the time i get back in she's all warmed up atleast this time of year most likely in winter on the cold mornings might take abit longer but yeah, thanks for the info. all

Since I've quit smoking I just sit in my car and check the forums on my phone

Wifi extends to the garage

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast