User Tag List

Thread: Dealer using Semi-Synthetic Oils

1. Default Dealer using Semi-Synthetic Oils

Hey Guys,

I've just had my BL MPS serviced and I noticed that my dealer used the Magnatec Professional Semi-Syn oils. This is my 3rd turbo car and all the dealers from other brands usually put in fully synthetic oil in the cars.

I asked them about it and they said they put in the same oils for all the Mazda's (Exc. Rotary and Diesel). There is nothing from Mazda to say Fully synthetic oils is needed.

I car doesn't feel as smooth on idle after the service and I was just wondering if this is the only dealer that is doing that or are all other dealers putting in semi-synthetic oils in the MPS's?

I won't name the dealer as other than that, they have been excellent. Just wanted to get an indication if I should be changing the oils at home before the next service.

Have a look at the manual.. 99 percent sure it states full synthetic

As long as the viscosity is at least 5w-30 (pref 5w-40) you have little to worry about. I'd definitely prefer full synthetic but it's a cost decision to make. The oil I use costs like $80 for 6L and that ain't cheap.
    Last edited by Reedy; 16-02-2012 at 06:03 PM.

My mechanic puts Magnatec in my MPS, however I think its fully synthetic

Yeah it's only Fully Synthetic i believe, i've always put in fully synthetic and apparently mazda use a special type of Castrol Edge which you cant find on the self but it's fully synthetic.

Have a look at your dealers part section they have the oils there and just ask 1 of them which oil the MPS takes he should say the Castrol Fully Synthetic.. That's what they said at my local dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    As long as the viscosity is at least 5w-30 (pref 5w-40) you have little to worry about. I'd definitely prefer full synthetic but it's a cost decision to make. The oil I use costs like $80 for 6L and that ain't cheap.
    Both the 6 and the 3 are running Mobil 1 here
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

It's up the service manager what brand/grade/type of oil his workshop uses, as long as it meets the specification. Before moving to WA the service manager at my local Mazda dealer used only mineral oils, so I always supplied my own fully synthetic oil.

Just because it semi-synthetic doesn't mean there's going to be a problem. As long as it is the correct viscosity and meets Mazda's recommended specifications then it is fine.

Yea the warranty info only refers to viscosity, basically if you use oil that is below 5w-30 then your warranty can be voided. It doesn't refer to whether or not it needs to be synthetic.

The dealership I use (Garry & Warren Smith) uses 10W-30 Magnatec, I don't see the problem. Then again I'm not an oil fanboy and have no data to base preference on.

11. Default

Thanks guys

Cost wise, its going to only cost me an extra $50 every 6 months so I am not too worried about that. I might bring my own oils next time. I'm not fussed over brands, its just that I've always had fully synthetic in my cars (previous VW dealer used Helix Ultra on my GTI and same goes for STi Docklands).

Might just bring my own Castrol EDGE or Mobil1 the next time I service.

Since I clicked over 60k's I been using this one, got to say, am not disappointed

Sent from my iPhone
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1329431627.379257.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	10384  

Quote Originally Posted by andyhui01 View Post
    Thanks guys

Might just bring my own Castrol EDGE or Mobil1 the next time I service.
    Good idea. There are significant advantages with synthetic which make it well worth the extra effort.

Gone to Volvo

14. Default

Try and use Castrol Fully Synthetic 5W40 as that is what is specified in the manual. Also that what is being used at the dealersip i go to. With this oil my has been good so far. Only drawback is you can only by this oil in a 20L drum or pay $79 for 5L at mazda. But, the MPS gen1 takes up 5.7L which means you have to buy 2 cans!!
    I would realy like to know if anyone else is using anyother oil with the same viscosity and how it fares on the car.

Quote Originally Posted by dar_vedar View Post
    Try and use Castrol Fully Synthetic 5W40 as that is what is specified in the manual. Also that what is being used at the dealersip i go to. With this oil my has been good so far. Only drawback is you can only by this oil in a 20L drum or pay $79 for 5L at mazda. But, the MPS gen1 takes up 5.7L which means you have to buy 2 cans!!
    I would realy like to know if anyone else is using anyother oil with the same viscosity and how it fares on the car.
    You can now buy this at your local auto store such as supercheap,repco etc. It comes in a 5L bottle called Castrol Edge 5W-40 with Titanium Fluid Strength Tech.

In saying this, the genuine Mazda Oil is Castrol Magnatec Prof 5W-40 only available in 20L drums or in 5L from your dealer as mentioned in previous posts.

I recently did an oil change myself with Castrol Edge 5W-40, Bought it from Supercheap Auto. It looks like you can't get it in 1L bottles tho like you can most others so I had to get 2 5L ones.

Depends how the car is driven...

I've been told if the car is being raced at a track where the engine and its oil are under demanding conditions, then a Fully Synthetic oil would be the go.
    For most of normal day to day driving, then a Semi Synthetic oil would be fine, so long as it meets the grade recommended by Mazda.

Also, the age of the engine, most dealers like to bed the engine in using a mineral oil or there abouts.

18. Default

so is the genuine mazda oil fully synthetic? becasue that what i thought i saw on the can.
    also, i once tried 0w40 castrol edge sport or something like that and the engine was noticibly louder than before.. any of you gguys experienced anything similar??

Sort of half related to topic here but my time spent working at Honda motorcycles (left a while ago), they run new bikes on mineral oils (run-in) to 6,000kms then switch to Honda synthetic oils. The same goes with cars (might be on 5 or 10,000 service when they switch over) we had a customer at Honda cars (the guys were telling me, as I was in bikes) who bought a Honda Jazz, brand spankin'. The guy was much like all of us and passionate about cars (although he bought a Jazz?! go figure) and put the good stuff in on a brand new engine. The thing was blowing smoke at less than 1,000kms and rooted the engine. Felt sorry for a guy who thinks he's taking extra care putting good oils in and turns out wrecked his car

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

20. Default

I go to Max Kirwan Mazda.. They use 10-30 shell helix semi synthetic, also got my wifes mazda 3 neo serviced ther which they also used the same oil.