User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tuning Solution for my MPS6??? Advice Needed...

Default Tuning Solution for my MPS6??? Advice Needed...

Im looking into geting my 6 tuned for a bit of extra power. I have only intake mods and I will only ever have intake mods as this is our Family car and i doant need or want to do the exhaust. Im not looking either to set the world on fire with a huge amount of power & torque just get the most from my mazda the way it is (reliably).

Some tuners advertise that gains of 20kw+ or 78hp+ from a stock pakage are easy to achieve.

I supose what I'm wanting to know is what is the safest, easyest & most cost efective way of doing this.
    I am a little confused by all the options out there.

Any and all opinions and advice are greatly appreciated.

Pete

Depending on your budget,

You can start with the tune in a box devices, such as the Hypertech ( around $400), which yields moderate hp & torque gains, and is still a very safe tune,
    also (currently in local testing) is the Cobb AP, similar to the Hypertech, but allows a far greater scope of tuning options in case the mod bug bites a bit harder, the AP also has numerous features that the Hypertech doesnt, like real time gauge, data logging, multiple map storage etc etc, these retail for around $600 US, and will hopefully support full custom tuning in the near future.

The next step is a custom dyno tune using a piggy back ECU device (Xede or cp-e) these are pretty cheap second hand these days, although you would typically pay around $500 for the dyno tuning. This option will allow the tuner to customise timing, fuelling and boost (to an extent) to give you MOAR POWAH

Then you can go a full ECUTEK tune (~$2000) these tunes will be custom matched to your car on a dyno, and can adjust just about every parameter the ECU has an option for, expensive, but in the current environment the best tuning option available, at least until the Cobb AP custom tuning is supported.

Do a search on the Hypertech and AP threads and you should find most of the info you need to make a decision.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you want to test a man's character - give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln

that ^ basically...

Given that you're in Perth, the only option you have right now for a custom tune is Versatune. I'm using it and I'm immensely satisfied with the software and the results I'm getting from tuning using real-world data logging instead of the heat-soaked environment of a dyno room (which has proven to be a power killer for these cars). If you search around there is some info here on the Versatune package and the support is first class. Another advantage of Versatune is that it transcends geographic isolation. My car is in Perth, but the guy tuning my car is in Canada, and I highly recommend his services Stratified Automotive Controls

If you chose Versatune and have someone like Alex tune it, you will spend less than the custom tuning alternatives and in my view probably get a better result. In terms of safety, I'm very comfortable with Versatune. I would regularly experience knock retard with the stock tune and it was constant with the Hypertech tune installed. Of course it depends on who tunes your car and how it's tuned, but I don't think i've experienced any knock retard since I installed Versatune, which gives me confidence in the base tune and confidence in the iterative process Alex is using to develop a custom tune for my car.

Good luck with the decision, make sure you do a good bit of research and dig below the surface of any advertising claims. Tuning is a high-risk activity, especially if the tuner makes a mistake. There are European forums with good advice for MPS owners which are worth a look.
    Last edited by kmh001; 15-02-2012 at 07:51 PM.

Gone to Volvo

Thanks Mal,

I had over looked the Versatune option.

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    Given that you're in Perth, the only option you have right now for a custom tune is Versatune. I'm using it and I'm immensely satisfied with the software and the results I'm getting from tuning using real-world data logging instead of the heat-soaked environment of a dyno room (which has proven to be a power killer for these cars). If you search around there is some info here on the Versatune package and the support is first class. Another advantage of Versatune is that it transcends geographic isolation. My car is in Perth, but the guy tuning my car is in Canada, and I highly recommend his services Stratified Automotive Controls

If you chose Versatune and have someone like Alex tune it, you will spend less than the custom tuning alternatives and in my view probably get a better result. In terms of safety, I'm very comfortable with Versatune. I would regularly experience knock retard with the stock tune and it was constant with the Hypertech tune installed. Of course it depends on who tunes your car and how it's tuned, but I don't think i've experienced any knock retard since I installed Versatune, which gives me confidence in the base tune and confidence in the iterative process Alex is using to develop a custom tune for my car.

Good luck with the decision, make sure you do a good bit of research and dig below the surface of any advertising claims. Tuning is a high-risk activity, especially if the tuner makes a mistake. There are European forums with good advice for MPS owners which are worth a look.
    What's this worth mal

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    What's this worth mal

it's $399 for software
    $150-200 for cable
    then you need a laptop/netbook in car to do logging etc.... which is the one area that AP>versatune
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

I meant for the tuning.
    I wouldn't tune myself.. for the same reasons I wouldn't trust my accountant to fix my computer.

i would wait for the ap for sure.

Im leaning towards versatune myself, Gen 2 mps3 is not available YET !!

What's this worth mal

With Stratified CAD$200 buys a month of e-tuning service, during which you do the data logging then email the logs to the tuner and he emails back a new tune. The tune is done one cautious step at a time, which is why I'm comfortable with it. The aim is to complete the tune within five iterations. Alex is very prompt so as long as you don't hold things up at your end you can expect to complete the tuning process within this time frame.

If at a later time you make a significant hardware change and want to update the tune, instead of paying for another expensive dyno session, you just buy another $200 block of tuning time and go through the steps again. I reckon this arrangement is bloody brilliant.

In my case I broke a rear axle while preparing to data log on the second iteration (too much power already!). Alex very graciously stopped the tuning clock while I went about the process of repairing the car, which took a lot longer than a month. I can't speak highly enough of the service and advice I've received from Stratified.

If you add up the Versatune software, cable and e-tuning you should get a tune for just under AUD$800.
    Last edited by kmh001; 15-02-2012 at 11:47 PM.

Gone to Volvo

Can't recommend Versatune highly enough.... Love it

Quote Originally Posted by kevstewart View Post
    Can't recommend Versatune highly enough.... Love it
    Hi Kev

Did you also get Alex from Stratafied to do the tune?
    (Apologies for thread hijack, but it is related).

Quote Originally Posted by Jrbris View Post
    i would wait for the ap for sure.
    Based on what?

Based on what?
    Im using it as part of the alpha test.

Im using it as part of the alpha test.
    , thats not a reason as to why someone should skip on versatune for the AP.
    Maybe the other reason is 'because its cool'.

Why is it better? Why should someone skip versatune for the AP and vice versa?
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

, thats not a reason as to why someone should skip on versatune for the AP.
    Maybe the other reason is 'because its cool'.

Why is it better? Why should someone skip versatune for the AP and vice versa?
    versatune is for more advanced people when the AP is more of a plug and play within 30 mins ur up and running.

once the ap has the tuner software available it will be of the same tuning ability. and the gen 2 is in testing on the ap so it will suport all the platforms here 6 gen 1 3 and genpoo 3 & the mps6
    M P S - 3 - | K&N Filter | AEM CAI | CES Racing TIP | CES Racing Dumppipe | CES Racing 3" Stainless Exhaust | | 200CEL CAT | Pedders XA Extreme Coilovers | JBR REM | Painted Badges | COBB AP Stage 2 | JBR Heavy Gear Shit | FMIC |

versatune is for more advanced people when the AP is more of a plug and play within 30 mins ur up and running.

once the ap has the tuner software available it will be of the same tuning ability. and the gen 2 is in testing on the ap so it will suport all the platforms here 6 gen 1 3 and genpoo 3 & the mps6
    actually, this is not entirely true...
    versatuner has the option for "base maps" much like the AP does... not sure how extensive it is though... i cant comment too much on versatune as i havent looked into it...

the big things (for me) is the amount of information i can find on MSF in regards to the AP, much of the guides etc are written for it, and there is a bunch of helpful people there to give advice etc...

i KNOW the AP has fast map switching, easy logging, and can display 1 data set... it also supports gen 2's... (yes justin, know you dont have a gen 2 in the house)
    the biggest "issue" for me with VT was that you need a laptop in the car to do logs etc...

at the end of the day, i dont know if one is more comprehensive than the other... once we have ATR, i'll see if i can hit up mitch (who's going with VT) and see what the difference in software is...

right now, for 99% of people, the difference between the 2 is as follows:
    VT is available NOW, AP isnt just yet...
    VT requires laptop for logging, AP is all self contained

other than that, there isnt much more to it...
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

While I am not entirely up to speed on the Versatune, here is more info on the AP,

The AP offers, (and will hopefully offer here soon as well)
    -Tunes out of the box (plug and play), with the ability to download and store multiple tune files from Cobb, or one of their approved vendors.
    -Tunes can be swapped in around 2-3 minutes using the hand held AP device, e.g valet and security tunes can be installed when and if required.
    -One custom digital gauge display on the device while driving, this gauge can be selected from the menu and show minimum & peak values, also features a shift light (via flashing display).
    -One touch, fast data logging from multiple PIDs, logs are then viewable in excel as csv files.
    -Flat foot shifting, Launch control & rev limiter, again user adjustable.
    -Pressure based tuning vs load based tuning, not sure exactly how this affect things from a tuning perspective, but it is a big selling point from Cobbs point of view.
    -With the ATR software (free), custom dyno tunes or custom tuning via datalogging and email.

I have played with ATR, and its a little scary to see how much can be changed on these ECUs.

I would like to see some comments along these lines in here from the Versatune crowd, it also seems to be a great product and Verstune offer excellent customer support, as we have seen in the forum.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you want to test a man's character - give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by MattMPS3 View Post
    While I am not entirely up to speed on the Versatune, here is more info on the AP,

The AP offers, (and will hopefully offer here soon as well)
    -Tunes out of the box (plug and play), with the ability to download and store multiple tune files from Cobb, or one of their approved vendors.
    -Tunes can be swapped in around 2-3 minutes using the hand held AP device, e.g valet and security tunes can be installed when and if required.
    -One custom digital gauge display on the device while driving, this gauge can be selected from the menu and show minimum & peak values, also features a shift light (via flashing display).
    -One touch, fast data logging from multiple PIDs, logs are then viewable in excel as csv files.
    -Flat foot shifting, Launch control & rev limiter, again user adjustable.
    -Pressure based tuning vs load based tuning, not sure exactly how this affect things from a tuning perspective, but it is a big selling point from Cobbs point of view.
    -With the ATR software (free), custom dyno tunes or custom tuning via datalogging and email.

I have played with ATR, and its a little scary to see how much can be changed on these ECUs.

I would like to see some comments along these lines in here from the Versatune crowd, it also seems to be a great product and Verstune offer excellent customer support, as we have seen in the forum.
    VT does much the same thing with the same features. The biggest difference to the AP appears to be load based tuning, the use of a laptop and as SarcasticOne pointed out, VT is available now. Perhaps the other difference is that AP may allow home tuners to do more, I don't know. Whereas I would describe VT as more suited to professional tuning because you definitely need a level of expertise. Beyond configuring launch control and other settings I certainly wouldn't have the courage to attempt to tune it myself.

Perhaps the VT guys will give a more detailed response.

Gone to Volvo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast