User Tag List

Thread: Do u or don,t u Replacing spark plugs

Default Do u or don,t u Replacing spark plugs

Re mass purchase of Denso Iridium plugs ,a very Contencious issue . Do u anti seize your new plugs .

Denso literature says NO.
    Ngk literature says NO,but Ngk are pre coated with their own AS.

Anti seize ,a very small amount ,is supposed to assist in removal from aluminium heads , but can also cause u to have incorrect torque specification,leading to incorrect seating .

Also as a side note do u check the gap and adjust even though the new plugs are pre gapped at Denso?????? Again very contencious issue.

Both these issues would welcome a Poll!!!
    Last edited by Oldhead; 13-02-2012 at 11:19 PM.
    Way to many mods, way too much money spent,way way too much time spent = the wifes no 1 Enemy.
    But i,m Smiling

OK I'll bite:

"Anti seize ,a very small amount ,is supposed to assist in removal from aluminium heads , but can also cause u to have incorrect torque specification,leading to incorrect seating"
    - Sure that's *possible*. But thinking pragmatically, surely any difference would be so negligible as to fall inside of the +/- % of the torque wrench you're using anyway...

"Also as a side note do u check the gap even though the new plugs are pre gapped at Denso?????? Again very contencious issue."
    - Do I?? No. But then, my plugs haven't needed changing yet! What could possibly be bad about confirming they we're correctly gapped from factory?

Also remember that a spark plug requires a good electrical connection to the head.

Anti-seize could potentially affect this... Obviously the copper based ones are not an issue here.

Cheers,

Chris.

No to anti-seize and yes to checking the gap.

Quote Originally Posted by TD View Post
    No to anti-seize and yes to checking the gap.
    +1 to this

Do not use any antisieze with graphite base as this will corrode aluminium very quickly.
    The point of this post is to try and get a diffinative answer as there seems to be a lot of conjecture as to correct proceedure.

Typical (Denso says No, yet NGK apply factory treatment) and i used to anti-seize with cast iron V8 and 6cyc.

---------- Post added at 11:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 PM ----------

Sorry my bad!! Should have read ( do u check gap and change gap even though they are factory pre gapped) .

Editing first post.

Anti seize can effect the torque spec by as much as 30% and that is way above the +/- of a torque wrench.
    Way to many mods, way too much money spent,way way too much time spent = the wifes no 1 Enemy.
    But i,m Smiling