User Tag List

Thread: Mazda 626 Turbo

Default Mazda 626 Turbo

Hi all
    Not sure whether anyone on this forum owns the old school MX6 turbos or has an imported M626 turbo, but I am one of the few who does. It started as a regular Mazda 626, but was converted into a mazda 626 turbo from a written off MX6 turbo.. Probably not in line with todays Mazda sports cars but has run 15.0 @ 92mph at the motorplex, which was running 11psi..

That's not a bad time for one of the ol GD's. The F2 motor was a solid bit of kit too. I have driven a couple, they are amazing for there age. Welcome

Hi and Welcome.

Pics?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by M626turbo View Post
    Hi all
    Not sure whether anyone on this forum owns the old school MX6 turbos or has an imported M626 turbo, but I am one of the few who does. It started as a regular Mazda 626, but was converted into a mazda 626 turbo from a written off MX6 turbo.. Probably not in line with todays Mazda sports cars but has run 15.0 @ 92mph at the motorplex, which was running 11psi..
    MmmX-6... Traded one in on my MPS...

Had 355,000K's on the clock, but would still keep up with a VT Senator, and would still pull l;ike a steam train to it's limiter (180kmh)...

And it felt faster than the MPS, even though performance testing shows that the MPS is in fact MUCH faster.

But it was light and agile in a way that the portly MPS6 is not

I Still have some bits (stock springs, brand new lifters, power window regs, odd dash switches, factory mags, airflow meter) laying round if you need spares, but they are in Melb...

Cheers,

Chris.
    '05 MPS 6, Liquid Silver Metallic, Leather, Sunroof.

DashHawk, TurboSmart Dualport, COBB SF SRI and TIP, CPe REM, 2XS Titanium SSP, Coolant bypass,
    Exedy OEM spec clutch, Corksport SS Braided Clutch Line, ROH Mantis 18*7.5+45.

Growing old is compulsory... Growing up is optional...

Not a bad time! What sort of power are you getting any idea?

Welcome btw! Enjoy the forum, get yourself an MPS sometime!

Hello and welcome

Awwwwweeeesome cars. Dad had one when I was a kid. Mazda had zoom well before the marketing dept. found out

Thanks for the welcome guys
    Yeh they pull very nicely, not huge on power but big on torques Very fun for an 18 year old, got it when I was 17, gearbox (diff) blew up after 5 weeks on the road, with these old cars its cheaper to buy an entire unregistered car and use the parts haha, so bought a car for $400, took the gearbox from it, bought a Mfactory LSD, installed the LSD and has been running for 6 months on 11psi now, just clicked over 10'000kms since it came into my possession.. It keeps up with older 5L V8s from holden, eats all of the V6s (not sure of the new SV6), and doesn't par too badly against 200sx's, silvia's, skylines, honda's, people don't know what they're getting into when they pull up next to me. I guess a good part of that is I don't get any extra police attention, and i've never had a police officer question my car in any way

Also, only imports had the 180km/h speed restrictor, mines australian standard (if thats what you call it)

Nice work on the box i have one of them myself... i did a lot more to the diff gears though...

Hope to see you out and about

Nice work, the actual pin (most of the terms I use are probably wrong lol) that holds onto the spider snapped on mine spitting parts in a few directions, It was weird really because I was in heavy traffic doing 60km/h in 5th, I knew something was wrong (after the large explosion) when a trail of transmission oil was following me as I changed lanes to double check :P I have tuned EPROM chips to handle up to 16psi (Zombie/Probinator/Woo), next step is to modify the computer for the chips to go onto, though 16psi in an old girl like that may not be so very wise (265'000kms)...

265,000? Only a baby

As I said mine had 355,000 on it and still pulled like a teenager to redline, I was only running ~9PSI boost though...

Someone else told me once that it was a JDM import, cause the taillights were different. Never found out for sure.

Chris.

Yes I do (hope) the engine is quite strong, the turbo is only little and haven't ever had problems with my engine, only my gearbox when it exploded :P
    Hope to see it pass 300'000kms

3 and a half years ago I sold my 626T, I still miss that little go getter

Uploaded with ImageShack.usUploaded with ImageShack.usUploaded with ImageShack.us
    Last edited by MZSPD6; 10-02-2012 at 07:14 PM.

How do the new MPS 6's go? They're quite alot heavier, but 17 years newer.. Seems all sports cars these days are 1500 - 1600kg, evo's especially, was reading on some forum not long ago that the MPS6 runs 15.7psi boost factory? lol

They are still pretty brisk for their size, and still 300kg less than a current tubbo falcon. interiors are a VERY nice place to be, great for distance too.
    Biggest problem I have with them is they are all out of ideas by 6000rpm, which is fine if you are used to a F2, but the ZE in my 626 revs out to 8 happily. Flash tune opens them up a bit though. They also have a nice hit of torque (or maybe I am just used to the old car...)

I was iffy on them, until I drove one, then I decided I needed one.
    1993 KL-ZE 626 - Written off
    2005 MPS6 - Me Boosta, GTX2867 Freektuned

With the extra boost my car is pretty happy until the 6300rpm cut out, the engine lights up to 5500rpm, holds whilst the road catches up with my wheels then makes it way up slower.. Definately engines built for torque which I guess is better, as it is more use able

Quote Originally Posted by M626turbo View Post
    .. Definately engines built for torque which I guess is better, as it is more use able
    Lol, the F2T, the SOHC 3 valve engine used in the GD MX-6 and 626 was commonly referred to as 'a truck engine' because of it's good bottom end torque but anaemic top end.

The same engine, with no turbo and setup for RWD, was used in the bravo utes.

The MPS motor is only 100cc bigger but makes a lot more grunt.

Chris
    '05 MPS 6, Liquid Silver Metallic, Leather, Sunroof.

DashHawk, TurboSmart Dualport, COBB SF SRI and TIP, CPe REM, 2XS Titanium SSP, Coolant bypass,
    Exedy OEM spec clutch, Corksport SS Braided Clutch Line, ROH Mantis 18*7.5+45.

Growing old is compulsory... Growing up is optional...

Yeh it would, alot newer, DOHC, plus runs alot more boost stock, no doubt I could tune my engine to smash most stock cars out there but it comes a point where I say whats the point, I could put those thousands of dollars towards a newer nicer mazda :P

Very sensible (whispers "sell the 626")