User Tag List

Thread: CB gains with Cp-e Dump??

Default CB gains with Cp-e Dump??

Hey guys,

I installed the cp-e dumppipe and metallic cats some time ago. I chose not to install a CB exhaust due to sound levels and also due to the power gains mainly being attributed to the dump not the CB.

I would like to know if anybody has any idea of the possible power gains if-

1/ I now replace the stock muffler with something that has better flow.
    2/ I fit a CB to compliment the existing dump/cats.

I am aware that CB offer min gains on the stock dump but this would surely change once a New dump is installed, the CB would become a point of restriction yes?

I am not willing to go the cost if the gains are not noticeable and my dollars can buy more HP elsewhere.

Cheers Aaron
    08 VW GTI PIRELLI DSG - 1 OF 400
    S3 HEART WITH 229 kw OF APR GOODNESS

SOLD - 06 MPS3 / CPE CAI / CPE HKS BOV / CPE HV2 BELLMOUTH DUMP & METALLIC CAT / CPE MOUNT / COBB SUSPENSION / DBA SLOTTED ROTORS C/W HAWKS PADS

I dont think the stk CB system is that restrictive, its just got too many mufflers. I got rid of the small muffler near the tail pipe & also changed the large centre muffler & replaced it with a smaller one. All up that cost $120. As you already have the dump it can only compliment the system to change these few things.
    Off the shelf CB systems are wayyyy too expensive IMO.

Be glad you don't have dual exhausts, prices are stupidly expensive. As AD07 said, try a muffler delete, and weld in a better one or a straight pipe. Cheap mod and you'll get a change in tone which you may or may not like depending on your tastes.

After more performance than the improved tone guys.

Your not going to gain much, no matter what you do to a CB.....

+1

While the increased DP flow makes a huge difference due to the temperature and velocity of the exhaust gases being so high initially, they will have cooled considerably by the time they reach the exit. This denser air doesn't need as much flow or velocity which is why a catback is generally more of a sound thing than a performance gain. You may gain like 10-20 hp with a straight through, but it won't be road worthy then.

I have the full CPE Turbo-back on mine, and it made a huge difference, though from what i have read, most of the gains are due to the downpipe, not the CB.. It certainly cant hurt removing a muffler or two as others have suggested if you dont care too much about noise.

This is why I went for the dump and cats only. Im purely after performance not huge noise.

I may go for a better flowing muffler instead.

Oh well, where to get more performance now then??? Noticeable performance.

How many cats? Only the one? The dump pipe is the biggest restriction in the stock system because it contains a cat. Stock you have 2 cats, Removing 1 of these restrictions will improve performance. Check under your car, if your mufflers have hot spots in them, I'd try changing these, otherwise, the size of the factory system isn't a problem. It's all about the basics, the quicker and least restricted the air in and out is, the more power you are likely to make. You have the dump and intake, now its down to the small stuff (plugs etc.)or the big stuff (cams,rods etc and turbo and manifold)
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    How many cats? Only the one? The dump pipe is the biggest restriction in the stock system because it contains a cat. Stock you have 2 cats, Removing 1 of these restrictions will improve performance. Check under your car, if your mufflers have hot spots in them, I'd try changing these, otherwise, the size of the factory system isn't a problem. It's all about the basics, the quicker and least restricted the air in and out is, the more power you are likely to make. You have the dump and intake, now its down to the small stuff (plugs etc.)or the big stuff (cams,rods etc and turbo and manifold)
    Sorry, One metallic cat only.

Ok looks like I dont have to waste $ on the CBE which is great but leaves me with minimal good power adding mods that dont border on the risky (with all the popped MZRs out there).

Im thinking maybe a Turbinetech W2A Cooler or a CP-E FMIC but once again the gains over my ETS may not be worth the cost and effort. Meth with a different tuning solution is also an option.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by magoo; 05-04-2009 at 08:49 PM.
    08 VW GTI PIRELLI DSG - 1 OF 400
    S3 HEART WITH 229 kw OF APR GOODNESS

SOLD - 06 MPS3 / CPE CAI / CPE HKS BOV / CPE HV2 BELLMOUTH DUMP & METALLIC CAT / CPE MOUNT / COBB SUSPENSION / DBA SLOTTED ROTORS C/W HAWKS PADS