User Tag List

Thread: Where to start on detailing my new 2006 Black MPS sports

Default Where to start on detailing my new 2006 Black MPS sports

Hi,

I have just purchased a 2006 Black MPS 3 Sports. Litterlally yesterday, Just like some advise on where you would start on detailing the car.

To give a brief description of the current paint. The doors and fenders front and rear look very good. The bonnet shows a few sign on rain marks and the roof is similar when you look at it under artificial light. To the naked eye it is very good. I may just be picky here though, but I want a perfect finish.

I dont think it has been detailed in a while as when I washed it yesterday for the first time and there was little water beading going on.

I dont have any types of orbital polishers and wanted to just do it by hand.

What would you do?

I looked on the Zas website site and was going to look at buying the Prima kit but it is showing as out of stock.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers
    Chris

Hi and Welcome Chris

The Prima Paint Protection kit is a good product. I highly recommend it, having applied it to a number of customer cars, not the least of which my own.

It is however only as good as the prep work you do prior to the kit being applied. By that I mean the quality of the paint/clearcoat surface.

You've mentioned you've had a look on ZAS, and that's a terrific place to start. If you haven't seen it already, have a look at the Detailing Library Joel (ZAS) has set up. It's very informative:

ZAS Car Detailing Products : Detailing Library - Detailing Guides & Tutorials

As a starting point, my recommendation would always be to decontaminate and then paint correct the surface prior to any paint protection going down

By decontamination, I mean at the minimum a claybar (such as: Prima Clay Kit)

Paint correction can be done by hand, however you'll be limited in what you'll be able to do without a machine polish.

For hand paint correction, I would recommend the following:

Meguiar's Ultimate Compound 450ml G17216

and

Lake Country CCS Foam Hand Pad Orange

Basically if it doesn't come out with those, you'll need to resort to machine polishing (which is a very real probability if you want to obtain as clear and swirl-free finish as possible)

I would also pick up several good microfiber towels: ZAS 40x60cm Plush Microfibre Towel

Ultimately though, I would recommend you speak with someone about getting the car professionally paint corrected. This will then give you the best possible base to build off.

I know that Jason (LittleRedMPS) here on the site has started offering paint correction services to people in NSW in the same way as I do for people down here in Vic. I would perhaps get in contact with him and have a chat about some options.

Cheers and good luck

Dan
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Thanks Dan.

Hi Chris, feel free to get in touch with me if you need some work done on your pride and joy.

Cheers,

Jace

This is the most unbeleivable detail job..

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=81391

Lukey, it may disturb you to find out that, engine bay fabrication aside, the decontamination, multi-stage paint correction, and glazing/waxing is very similar to what I do as par for the course with my customer's cars and my own

Including isopropyl alcohol and also demineralised water wipe downs

That guy has just taken more photos than I normally do

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Caffeine Fiend; 02-02-2012 at 05:44 PM.

Thanks for the welcome Dan.

Thanks for the advise you have given, I might give what you have suggested a try first before seeking help from Jason. Thanks for the offer Jason, I may be in touch.

I will put an order in for some products from ZAS and give it a go.
    I will let you all know how it turns out.

So just to get it right. You would recommed
    -a full wash and dry
    -Clay bar the complete car
    -paint correction using Meguiar's Ultimate Compound 450ml G17216
    what steps or products would you recommend next?

-Thanks

Chris

I would only use compound if you really have to Chris.

If the paint marking or scratching is not bad you can probably get away with a lighter cutting polish, instead of a hard cutting compound.

Always start with the gentlest option, and increase with lack of results only.

If you need to compound, you will also need to use a lighter cutting polish afterwards, or you are likely to have marring on the clearcoat surface. This will produce weird effects on the paint surface when you wax, and reduce ultimate shine.

After using a lighter polish there are a few different options. You can either use a glaze, such as Amigo, or a fine finishing polish (of which there is a multitude).

If you want a longer lasting protection, you should look at using a sealant, such as Epic or Opti Seal, though Opti Seal will apparently not bond to the Prima Amigo Glaze.

After all this you can look at either a carnuba wax to bring up a nice finishing shine and depth, or possibly a carnuba/polymer wax blend that has a better lifespan, but at the sacrifice of ultimate shine and depth.

Im sort of trying to put a story into a few paragraphs, and the options for products is almost endless.

Just be aware that if you try polishing or compound correction by hand, the results could vary wildly, as these products require heat to break down and work properly.
    Last edited by RadiantKnackers; 02-02-2012 at 08:50 PM.
    MPS is gone. Ghey Trail enabled....Not Happy. MPS 6 to come

In a 'Pro' grade compound Jace you're dead right. They're designed chemically to really require a machine to work correctly. However Megs Ultimate Compound(UC) is more of a consumer grade product and responds very well to being used by hand, as most home users don't have access to RO, DA or rotary polishers (or, with all due respect, the ability to use them confidently and effectively)

Before moving to machine polishing I started out with UC and an orange hand pad. It was long and laborious, but it gave me reasonable results with minimal risk of damage to paintwork. I still use it for areas a machine can't get to such as under door handles etc.

It will never get near a proper staged machine polish though, but it can still achieve reasonable results

Dan

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Ok thanks guys. Now I am really confused.
    Looks like there are a lot of different methods and products.
    I want to start with the most gentlest method as I do not want to stuff the paint work up as it is not too bad the way it is. Just wanted to try and make it a bit better.

Hey Chris, Joel (from ZAS), Dan and Jason are fanatics when it comes to this stuff. I have a tentative booking with Dan sometime this year to get paint correction done, and I'm in Brisbane.!!!

You're a lot closer than me, might be worth the trip

Chris, if you're doing it yourself, go with the Ultimate Compound and Orange Hand pad option as I have suggested. It won't give you the same result as a machine polish, but it may be adequate for what you're after.

Otherwise, have a chat with someone (Jace) around having a machine polish done.

Not having seen the car I can't really make any further recommendation.

Cheers,

Dan

Ok thanks alot guys.

much appreciated

Also an update on this one.

I detailed my MPS 3 the other day. Here is what I did

-Washed the car with Meguires Gold class wash and fully dried
    -Fully clayed the entire car with the Meguires Clay kit to remove all contaminents
    -Washed the car again and dried
    -Applied Meguires Ultimate Compound to the roof and bonnet where you can see the rain etching in the right light, I could not find the Lake county Orange pad anywhere so used the Meguires Even coat applicator pad (After this stage the marks were still visible when looked at at the right angle)
    -Applied Meguires Deep Crystal Paint cleaner to the rest of the car
    -Applied Meguires Deep Crystal Polish to the entire car
    -Applied Meguires Deep Crystal Canuba Wax to the entire car

I was a bit annoyed that the rain marks could still be seen on the roof and bonnet after the ultimate compound, Should I retry this when I buy a lake county Orange pad? Or should I just take it to a Pro? Jason how much would you charge to do a paint restoration job?

Thanks
    Chris

Hi,

The Megs Even Coat Applicator is used mainly for waxes, glazes and LSPs (Last Step Polishes). Ie the sort of thing you actually don't want any cut from

I suspect that's where there might be an issue. Ultimate Compound needs something like the the hand pad to work to the best of its ability (you can get them from ZAS via the link I posted in my thread above)

Ultimately though, if you take it to someone like Jason you will get a much better result.