User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CP-E Turbo Inlet installed, impressions

Just a silicon based lubricant spray, most auto shops should sell it

Cobb inlet installed today, more info to come including WOT impression once the LTFTs settle.

No comments about the dust on the battery necessary

Keen to hear how this goes. Would love a sound clip...

+ 1 for soundclip

Took it out for a bit of a drive last night and today. It's done about 50km since getting installed.

Install
    The install took about 2 hours with the hardest part taking out the stock inlet pipe. There were cables on one side which made it really hard to pull out of its position and required a bit of squirming and twisting around. The stock inlet slid off the turbo very easily surprisingly. I didn't need to buy any new cables but the silicon spray definately helped. The new inlet slid into place easily, the intake and the recirculation hose took abit more effort. It took me a while to tighten the clamps around where the inlet connects to the turbo due to the tiny amount of space. Overall anyone should be able to do it with a bit of effort and the right tools.

Sound
    I'm running a Cobb intake as well as the inlet pipe and compared to the stock inlet pipe it seems louder during spool. The HKS BOV also sounds louder when releasing the accelerator and sounds quite nice (in a ricey kinda way). Atm there seems to be a thunk sound when shifting at WOT which might or might not be related to my coilovers, but wasn't there with the stock inlet...

Performance
    There seems to be a SOTP increase in acceleration. Spooling seems to happen a couple of hundred rpm lower too. WOT pulls I felt a stronger shove into the seat, not quite the level of a DP but I would say it's noticeable. I'm not the kind of person who feels small gains - I never felt an improvement going from stock intake to SRIs so it says something about the gains here. One thing I did notice is a significant decrease in knock retardation. My Dashhawk is permanantly attached and I noticed that probably due to the better LTFTs (closer to 0) I've only experienced a knock of 2 (my DH is set to beep and flash green) twice in the 50km of driving, both times around 4-6k rpm at WOT. Previously with the stock inlet I would experience KR all over the place including 3-4k rpm knock at low/mid throttle. I don't think it's the fuel as I always fill up at the same place with the same octane, but you can never discount it.

Overall
    I'm very happy to have this mod done, if only for the fact that it completes the full intake. The gains were as expected and I like the sound. It's quite pricey but I would definately buy this mod if I had to again. If buying an intake and inlet pipe, I would suggest either getting the same brands and not mixing and matching. Of course this is not an issue with the Corksport intake/inlet. As Matt said before, probably not the first mod you should buy, but I think if you're going to get an intake whether it be CAI or SRI you should get the inlet pipe as it's a pretty big restriction. My rating: 8/10.
    Nuliaj: Hatches are only really half a car anyway.
    shinslinger66: And you forgot to add that they are also a girls car!

Great write up

Bump

Got mine CP-e TIP installed on the weekend and so far Im not liking it. My car has lost pull, SRI lost induction noise and BOV is very very quiet too.

Im hoping all this is just about the ECU taking its time to learn the new mod and the car will come back to his old psychopath self.

If car stays like this, I will be very tempted to pull the TIP out and put the stock piece back on.
    Last edited by Nirvandan; 19-04-2010 at 08:36 PM.

if you want louder.. get a stainless or aluminum one... will sound like a gas turbine engine starting up

yeh maybe reset the ecu and leave the car running for a few minutes and see how u go...find it hard to see that it has reduced power unless its an ecu problem...keep us updated as i am looking to purchase on of these soon!!Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvandan View Post
    Bump

Got mine CP-e TIP installed on the weekend and so far Im not liking it. My car has lost pull, SRI lost induction noise and BOV is very very quiet too.

Im hoping all this is just about the ECU taking its time to learn the new mod and the car will come back to his old psychopath self.

If car stays like this, I will be very tempted to pull the TIP out and put the stock piece back on.
    Are you sure you didn't put it in backwards Al?
    Turbosmart SU BPV // MZR Performance Intake // Medieval Inlet pipe // Medieval rear engine mount // RKM shifter Bushings // SLS Racepipe // Eyelids

p.s if u decide to pull out let me know.i may be interested in purchasing it

Angry Tip = loss of power !!!!

Bump

Ok Al before you throw the baby out with the bath water can I suggest checking the hose clamps madaz would not pull more than 12psi of boost obvious loss of power .The Cobb TIP clamp at the turbo had come very loose when it was tightend walla 20 psi boost and madaz was back to its psychpathic responsive self hope this helps also bov & sri sounded good again (loud ) believe me there is no logical reason why you should loose power with a silicone TIP .
    Col
    THE COLON FILES
    Coming soon

^what he said

Thanks for all your opinions.

I will have a look tomorrow and check the clamps, I did think there might be air leaking somewhere but if there was I thought I would get a CEL.

Cheers

Thanks for all your opinions.

I will have a look tomorrow and check the clamps, I did think there might be air leaking somewhere but if there was I thought I would get a CEL.

Cheers
    I had Major boost leaks after the exhaust shop failed to tighten my intercooler on both inlet and outlet. The car did not throw a cel, based on that I doubt youll throw one with a smaller leak.
    08 VW GTI PIRELLI DSG - 1 OF 400
    S3 HEART WITH 229 kw OF APR GOODNESS

SOLD - 06 MPS3 / CPE CAI / CPE HKS BOV / CPE HV2 BELLMOUTH DUMP & METALLIC CAT / CPE MOUNT / COBB SUSPENSION / DBA SLOTTED ROTORS C/W HAWKS PADS

Today I pulled the whole thing apart and did a re-install, will see how it goes. What I did notice was that I got back my Boost Temp reading in my dash-hawk, after the first install I was getting "N/A" no Boost Temp readings.

that doesnt sound good...

Yup when I noticed I wasnt getting any Boost Temp readings I thought it was weird, its back on now so should be alright.

..erh.. .. boost temp is through the MAP sensor from what i remember... (anyone ..correct me if im wrong).. you shouldnt be anywhere near thatr with this install.......
    sounds like youve not put a connector back on correctly. (but where?!.. *head scratch*) or youve pulled a wire.

Very strange.. Keep an eye on it. and Everything else for that matter

Yeah most likely disconnected something to make room or to reach something else.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast