User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help installing boost gauge

1. Default Need help installing boost gauge

Hi guys, I'm new here havering only owned my gen1 mps3 for about a month so I'm still learning bits and pieces.

I bought a turbosmart boost gauge and want to install it on the top of the dash beside my a pillar. I have been searching these forums and haven't found anything to help me feed the vac line up on top of the dash.

Can someone please help me or link me to anything they've found helpful???

Thanks

I've tapped the boost line from the Bov, but I've got a defi so don't have to run the line all the way back to the cabin. I've read that you can tap the boost from the turbo itself, the wastegate I believe, which is closer to the cabin.

hopefully someone can confirm that before you start

I have a Prosport Boost Guage which just ducts boost to the sensor unit bolted onto the firewall and then electric leads run to the dash mounted guage.

But there is no problem running the boost vac line from the BOV cap to the back of a guage via a small hole drilled in the LH bulkhead behind the glovebox then across the dash over the "transmission hump" and up the RH side of the dash to the A-pillar. All my other stuff follows that route and is easily hidden behind the door frame rubber. Be careful not to kink or restrict the vacuum line though. This LH route keeps the line away from the hotter side of the engine bay and provides easier access to drill a small grommeted port to pass the line through. If you keep the line cooler it is less likely to kink or collapse. I must admit I prefer the electric connection as it reduces the length of the vac line.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

That's the difference between electric and mechanical boost gauges...

BTW, if you fit any gear next to the A-pillar, make sure it is a soft mount or it will interfere with airbag deployment. I use double sided tape and set up the instruments so that hopefully they will be displaced laterally. Even so, I think there is still a risk of getting a new guage inserted forcibly into one's forehead at 300km/hr in the event of an accident that deploys the bag. A novel look at a fancy dress party!

Pierce a hole (large enough to fit the boost line) in the large rubber grommet on the firewall behind the battery box.
    Feed the boost line through it.

I see you have a Gen 1. You have 2 options for mounting.
    1. RH air vent pod mount.
    2. Triple gauge pod. Available for the centre top dash replacement.

Streetunit for the triple gauge pod RHD Gauge Pod: Mazdaspeed 3
    eBay for the airvent pod.

In the MPS 6 there is also a blank factory grommet not used behind the accelerator as our cars are DBW and i guess the standard Mazda 6's arent?
    i used this route then ducted it up behind the exhaust shields to Wastegate/ Turbo

get a T-piece and install it in the bov vac line and run it to your gauge, do not use the turbo vac lines as this can cause your EBC to lose full control of your boost also you wont get a vacuum reading from the turbo vac lines it will just be boost and it wont be accurate +/- 1-4psi variance that will constantly change

---------- Post added at 10:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 AM ----------

A Mechanical gauge - this type of gauge uses no external electronic sensor to tell it the boost level the internal mechanical pressure sensor run's directly off the vac line - go buy an air compressor gauge and take it apart its similar to how a mechanical gauge works
    An Electronic gauge - uses an electronic pressure sensor mounted externally to the gauge and the sensor send the info via wire to the gauge, similar to your map sensor's job of informing the ecu of boost levels
    05 VR 6 MPS LUXURY - WHATS STOCK????
    Winner of Most modified @ Smokeys car meet
    UP an coming events: Winton Track day 17th December

Remember pay by the 16th of November and get free lunch and drinks on day
    Next install: New Head, ARP Studs, Upgraded VVT, BSD, Mazdaspeed Coil Cover, Injector seals + studs

Is it better to splice the T connector for the preassure sender close to the BOV or farther away?

I imagine it makes little difference but throw it out there any.

I would want to splice somewhere that can be easily hidden personally.

thats completely up to you where you put it as i doesnt really matter where it goes along the line

---------- Post added at 07:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:05 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_MPS6 View Post
    BTW, if you fit any gear next to the A-pillar, make sure it is a soft mount or it will interfere with airbag deployment. I use double sided tape and set up the instruments so that hopefully they will be displaced laterally. Even so, I think there is still a risk of getting a new guage inserted forcibly into one's forehead at 300km/hr in the event of an accident that deploys the bag. A novel look at a fancy dress party!
    yeah bingo right there do not get a A-pillar gauge pod on our cars as in every air bag there is the equivalent to a shotgun shell worth of explosive that explodes to fill the bag up this is why they sometimes kill baby's, break peoples necks and can propel a dash mounted gps/phone/AP/whatever into you and kill you with ease, i don't think anyone wants a couple of gauges flying around at 1000ft/second in their car in the already cataclysmic event of an accident so don't mount anything near or around a air bag

Next install: New Head, ARP Studs, Upgraded VVT, BSD, Mazdaspeed Coil Cover, Injector seals + studs

What im wanting to know as well is what are peoples thoughts on electrical or mechanical and which in their mind is the better option for accuracy, longevity, etc

Also how much clearance would we want from the a pillar?
    Still like to place on the dash, but not to close to the a pillar that the gauge would be taken out if the bag deployed.

On the topic of installing a boost gauge and i know its not a defi gauge im talking about and ive posted this in my thread but no one has commented so i thought here might be easier but this was my post in regards to the wiring. It's a Prosport electronic boost gauge BTW.

The first pic are all the wires from the sender and the attachment that goes from the gauge to the sender and other such. ( i bought another half meter of each of the wires in the same colour as well if i need it)

The second pic is what connects to what....
    In regards to the red wire which the the '12v accessory wire) where do you attach that one to?

Also the white wire fromt he part that u plug into the gauge is also a '12v accessory wire and where do you attach that one to?

The orange wire i know is for the illumination but where do u attach this to?? As in so during the day with the lights off the gauge is white and with lights on the gauge is amber.
    BUT most of the time i drive with my angel eyes on which are attached to the parkers and also the fog lights on. What i want to do is to still be able to run my parkers(angel eyes) and fog lights on with the gauge still been white but when i turn my headlights on, that's when the gauge turns amber.
    SO i want to know if that's possible and also where i would have to attach the orange illumination wire to??

Sorry for so many questions.

theres an orange wire that plugs into the stereo and also goes to the dash display thats the illumination wire on the 6MPS see pic below, 1E illumination +ve, 1R is Accessories

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Setreo wires.jpg 
Views:	288 
Size:	159.7 KB 
ID:	11777
    Last edited by Axspeed6; 29-07-2012 at 05:55 AM.

i dont know about the 3's

might connect the orange illumination wire direct to the headlights so the gauge stays white while i have my parkers/fogs on then go amber as i turn my headlights on

Quote Originally Posted by STEALTH_MPS View Post
    might connect the orange illumination wire direct to the headlights so the gauge stays white while i have my parkers/fogs on then go amber as i turn my headlights on
    Go from the fuse box, tap into the headlights from there

engine fuse box or passenger side fuse box??

Quote Originally Posted by STEALTH_MPS View Post
    engine fuse box or passenger side fuse box??
    not sure how it is on the 3, but just check to see which one has the headlight fuse on it.

ok i kinda have the wiring figured out...what i want to know now is for the red wire from the gauge to the sender to u have to get another piece of wire from that same sport and connect it to the 12v constant and likewise for the ground????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast