User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help installing boost gauge

you can connect the constant to any wire that runs off the battery or the battery itself just make sure it has a fuse and as for the -ve any where on the body/engine will do if mounting on to a painted surface scratch the paint under the bolt a little to ensure good contact, in the 6 most of the constant +ve wire's are light blue with a red strip

Quote Originally Posted by rayd View Post
    Go from the fuse box, tap into the headlights from there
    i'd use a relay to switch it on just so it doesnt effect the power supply to the lights here: get a 30 amp 87a relay from jaycar and follow below (must be fused)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	simple remote turn on diagram.jpg 
Views:	332 
Size:	17.2 KB 
ID:	11781
    Last edited by Axspeed6; 29-07-2012 at 05:02 PM.
    05 VR 6 MPS LUXURY - WHATS STOCK????
    Winner of Most modified @ Smokeys car meet
    UP an coming events: Winton Track day 17th December

Remember pay by the 16th of November and get free lunch and drinks on day
    Next install: New Head, ARP Studs, Upgraded VVT, BSD, Mazdaspeed Coil Cover, Injector seals + studs

Speaking of gauges This is my new prototype gauge pod design for the 6

Name:	gauge pod.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	266.6 KB 
ID:	11783Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gauge pod top.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	134.3 KB 
ID:	11784

And this is it installed in the car

Name:	pod in dash.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	194.1 KB 
ID:	11785Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pod in dash 2.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	155.6 KB 
ID:	11786

No more sun glare on my gauges whoo

Next install: New Head, ARP Studs, Upgraded VVT, BSD, Mazdaspeed Coil Cover, Injector seals + studs

So this is my theory on how to wire everything up. Is this correct or am i way off? What can i change?
    Anyone from sydney free tomorrow that could give a hand.Will pay as well.

gen 1 or 2 mps?? i will download the manual and sort out the wiring for you if you like

sorry gen 1 mps 3..just really want to do this on my own as i want the experience and know-how so sorry for sooooo many questions lol.
    A diagram like i did would be awesome if possible.

ps to wire them in i bought a whole bunch of different amp fuses with wires from them to attach other accessories tot hem..basicall same as those 'Add-A-Fuse'

here is a setup that will work (please note that i do not own a 3 and cant go and check the wire's colors, so all wire colors are going via a online source and may not be correct) take a pic of the plugs wires and that would help a lot (both side's)

Name:	boost gauge installdia.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	11790

with this setup your gauge will change when the parkers go on, if i had a 3 i could help you more i just dont know the colors so its hard for me to 100% give a answer
    Last edited by Axspeed6; 29-07-2012 at 11:57 PM.

Thanks heaps man.....yea ill have to double check the wiring colours but other then that what i was concerned about and could find anywhere was how to install the sender wires whether the gauge ground and sender ground had to both be conected then reconected to a bolt or do each seperately
    thanks for that though...will help heaps...makes me want to go out and do it all now lol

remember to fuse both +ve's with a 5/10 amp fuse (should be plenty as i have 4 running off a single 20 amp fuse)

it a hell of alot easier to just use the wires inside the cabin with the factory relay setup then running a wire with a fuse or a custom relay setup to trigger it off a certain switch in the car

Quote Originally Posted by STEALTH_MPS View Post
    What im wanting to know as well is what are peoples thoughts on electrical or mechanical and which in their mind is the better option for accuracy, longevity, etc
    @STEALTH_MPS they both have good and bad properties but i lean towards electronic just for the fact that its cheaper to replace a sensor rather then the whole gauge also less vacuum lining as too much can affect performance of the parts attached to the modified vac line eg your bov might now blow off quite right or ebc might not read correctly etc, but if you have a dedicated vac outlet for your mechanical gauge then its fine put it on the manifold to give you the best reading <<< this method is best for all boost gauge's because it allows the gauge to read the amount of pressure going into the motor not the pressure being controlled by the ebc if its attach to the turbo vac line <<< these two sources of vac/boost can read completely different values in our cars my gauge hooked up to the turbo vac lines never showed vac just boost and when it did show boost it only went to 12 psi 14 if i was lucky even tho the turbo could of been over boosting at 20psi and i wouldn't of known but on bov line and vac readings straight away and accurate boost redings
    Last edited by Axspeed6; 01-08-2012 at 08:12 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12