User Tag List

Thread: Possible Fuel Pump Issues?

Default Possible Fuel Pump Issues?

Hey guys after reading through a few dead threads on here i think i've got a fuel pump issue. I also quickly posted in the Versatune thread a picture of a dashhawk readout and got a few quick responses saying fuel pump as well.

I took some more readings the second picture was from the other thread i just reposted and the other 2 were taken the other night.

Look at the end of the first one for the main story behind it throttle started closing up as I hit a hill so pressure dropped it was quite noticeable in the car aswell and its starting to become more noticeable going up hills.

The final readout i'm pretty happy with this was taken only minutes before the first one and was on a flat bit of road.

All were 3rd gear 2,000 - 6,500rpm.

If a fuel pump is the issue i've already decided on redoing the internals mainly cause the extra $600 for a CP-E fuel pump is a too much $$ atm.

Anyone have an recommendations?

I've got a few which i've sniped from other members posts listed here:
    KMD Tuning 2.0T FSI High Pressure Fuel Pump Kit for VW and Audi 2.0T FSI Vehicles, Fuel Management, Engine, KMD Tuning Products & Other Performance Aftermarket Auto Parts - North American Motorsports
    Autotech Hi Volume Fuel Pump Upgrade HPFP Internals Mazdaspeed 3 6 MS3 MS6
    Any others?

Sidenote as well the car has received a FMIC since the tune was done... Not sure if this could affect the Fuel Pressure this dramatically.

Thanks for all the help
    James
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fuel Pressure Run & AFR 3rd.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	140.0 KB 
ID:	10279   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fuel Pressure Run 1 3rd.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	156.9 KB 
ID:	10278   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fuel Pressure Run & Pedal Position 3rd.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	138.3 KB 
ID:	10280  
    MPSX-treme

2006 MPS Sports True Red - HP-F Mazedit tune + Other go fast bits - DGR Coilovers + Semi Slicks - Numerous Sure Motorsport Additions - Dashhawk

I'm the first person (that I know of) to do internals, luke, mitch and jase all went the cpe full replacement...

After reading up on mazdaspeedforums, I went with auto tech... there has been a couple of bad batches of kmd... also, autotech customer service is heaps better (apparently)

There seems to be more big turbo guys running auto tech than KMD...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    I'm the first person (that I know of) to do internals, luke, mitch and jase all went the cpe full replacement...

After reading up on mazdaspeedforums, I went with auto tech... there has been a couple of bad batches of kmd... also, autotech customer service is heaps better (apparently)

There seems to be more big turbo guys running auto tech than KMD...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Yeah i found your post in the chat and had a look at it seemed good . Is there a wear-in method or do autotech do that in factory to ensure they work?
    MPSX-treme

2006 MPS Sports True Red - HP-F Mazedit tune + Other go fast bits - DGR Coilovers + Semi Slicks - Numerous Sure Motorsport Additions - Dashhawk

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Yeah i found your post in the chat and had a look at it seemed good . Is there a wear-in method or do autotech do that in factory to ensure they work?
    Mine went WOT after about 70km so, no idea... was pretty nice to them for next 600k's tho

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using drunken fingers on Tapatalk
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

I have no FP internals, but if i was going to, id go with the Autotech through EdgeAutosport.
    And yes the FMIC can affect your Fuel pressure, you now have less restriction, , meaning more air flow. And your pump just cant keep up with it.
    Go the Autotech...
    Keep in mind youll need to retune with the HPFP internals. here is why,

"A potential issue is that fuel pump bore and stroke have to be properly sized in the ecu for the ecu to be able to understand how to apply the fuel.
    Essentially, the ecu uses a calculation based on hpfp size to determine how long to fire the solenoid on the pump to get the proper amount of fuel delivery to the rail."

And from COBB,
    "These vehicles are particularly sensitive to hardware changes. For instance, if you
    install an aftermarket CDFP or a different intake system, the MAF calibration will
    need to be modified. Please be sure to reflash the calibration that is best suited
    for your vehicle's modifications and the fuel quality you are running."

Quote Originally Posted by Cton View Post
    I have no FP internals, but if i was going to, id go with the Autotech through EdgeAutosport.
    And yes the FMIC can affect your Fuel pressure, you now have less restriction, , meaning more air flow. And your pump just cant keep up with it.
    Go the Autotech...
    Keep in mind youll need to retune with the HPFP internals. here is why,

"A potential issue is that fuel pump bore and stroke have to be properly sized in the ecu for the ecu to be able to understand how to apply the fuel.
    Essentially, the ecu uses a calculation based on hpfp size to determine how long to fire the solenoid on the pump to get the proper amount of fuel delivery to the rail."

And from COBB,
    "These vehicles are particularly sensitive to hardware changes. For instance, if you
    install an aftermarket CDFP or a different intake system, the MAF calibration will
    need to be modified. Please be sure to reflash the calibration that is best suited
    for your vehicle's modifications and the fuel quality you are running."

Yeah i'm pretty close on deciding on the Autotech through EdgeAutosport.

If the cooler was affecting the tune and dropping the pressure, i'd retune it but if then it turned out to be the Pump aswell just a waste of money on the original tune as i'd have to get the car tuned again.
    MPSX-treme