User Tag List

Thread: Cleaning the Engine

Default Cleaning the Engine

Hey guys

I wanna clean my engine and I would like some advice of products, techniques, and things to look out for

Thanks

Peter "SLIXX"

Peter "SLIXX"

Hi Mate,

Unless the engine bay is incredibly dirty (eg you've had an oil spillage that's sprayed itself everywhere), I'd avoid using a hose, high-pressure or otherwise

You can do it if you use a high pressure sprayer (low water volume), you cover key electrics (coil packs etc), the intake and also avoid spraying these areas directly, however unless the engine bay is extremely bad you're better off avoiding it if you can. Less chance of issues afterwards.

Better to use a good plastic-friendly All Purpose Cleaner (APC), some cheap disposable paint brushes, and some equally cheap disposable cloths to work your way over the engine bay components methodically and carefully. You can also then use some plastic cleaners/rejuvinators on key plastics (engine/TMIC covers, battery box, intake box, plastic surrounding trim, hoses etc

It will take longer, but ultimately you'll not only end up with a better result, your car won't be in any danger of not starting afterward

Optimum Power Clean on full strength will make light work of crud in the engine bay: Optimum Power Clean All Purpose Cleaner 512ml

For additional cleaning on the plastics I use Pre Wow. Very easy to apply and whilst it comes in a small bottle, it can be used incredibly sparingly, with two or three squirts being able to clean the entire TMIC cover for example.

Pre-WOW Trim Cleaner & Wax Remover 119ml + FREE Trim Brush
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Good advice Dan.

As usual Dan
    Thank you

Peter "SLIXX"

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Fiend View Post
    Hi Mate,

Unless the engine bay is incredibly dirty (eg you've had an oil spillage that's sprayed itself everywhere), I'd avoid using a hose, high-pressure or otherwise

You can do it if you use a high pressure sprayer (low water volume), you cover key electrics (coil packs etc), the intake and also avoid spraying these areas directly, however unless the engine bay is extremely bad you're better off avoiding it if you can. Less chance of issues afterwards.

Better to use a good plastic-friendly All Purpose Cleaner (APC), some cheap disposable paint brushes, and some equally cheap disposable cloths to work your way over the engine bay components methodically and carefully. You can also then use some plastic cleaners/rejuvinators on key plastics (engine/TMIC covers, battery box, intake box, plastic surrounding trim, hoses etc

It will take longer, but ultimately you'll not only end up with a better result, your car won't be in any danger of not starting afterward

Optimum Power Clean on full strength will make light work of crud in the engine bay: Optimum Power Clean All Purpose Cleaner 512ml

For additional cleaning on the plastics I use Pre Wow. Very easy to apply and whilst it comes in a small bottle, it can be used incredibly sparingly, with two or three squirts being able to clean the entire TMIC cover for example.

Pre-WOW Trim Cleaner & Wax Remover 119ml + FREE Trim Brush

Peter "SLIXX"

Snapped by Tangcla - FB Page
    Currently RaydTuned
    Lots of love from 2XS Racing & Dan's Garage Detailing

All good mate. There are a few different ways to clean an engine bay. This is one way, and my personal preference

If you're starting out with a new car, all you need is water. People often comment on how clean my engine bay is. My car is over 6 years old and the engine bay is still spotless because I rinse it with water when I wash the car to prevent it getting dirty in the first place. The only thing I cover with plastic is the pod filter. It also helps if you keep the mechanicals in top condition so there are no fluid leaks.

If I was cleaning up a dirty engine bay, I would use kerosene which cleans, rejuvenates and prevents corrosion. You'll be amazed at how good plastic looks after a kero bath, and no it doesn't do any harm. In fact plastic treated with kero will last longer than plastic that isn't.
    Last edited by kmh001; 23-01-2012 at 10:55 PM.

Gone to Volvo

I always found Simple Green worked woronders on my old cars engine bays, I would spray over everything and then wipe clean with a rag etc. I have used pressure washers before but I would be skeptical to do this on a new car. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    If I was cleaning up a dirty engine bay, I would use kerosene which cleans, rejuvenates and prevents corrosion. You'll be amazed at how good plastic looks after a kero bath, and no it doesn't do any harm. In fact plastic treated with kero will last longer than plastic that isn't.
    I do the same, Kerosene, followed by a soapy wash after, comes up great

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Agree. Kero works great. It can pong a bit on start up but soon dissipates. I hate degreaser as it leaves bare metal surfaces grease free and prone to almost immediate rust. I also hate Armor-all on interior plastics - it gives them a horrible slippery, glossy cheap look. Reminds me of a Holden. After I wash my car externally, often some water has got in through the grille and spotted my nice polished alloy FMIC plumbing. I open up the engine bay and mop up all the stray droplets with dry soft cloth and run it over everything I can reach to dry and polish it. Occasional Meguiars plastic rejuvenator can tidy up some engine plastics nicely, as well as the external black trim around the lower grill, rear valance and mirror backs. If you worry about any wet electrics, you can use a light puff of non-colouring, non-staining water-repellant INOX lubricant. Avoid DWF and CRC as they leave clag behind.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

10. Default

Detail your engine in the morning.Detailer's Pro Series Engine Degreaser is an intense degreaser that works good on greasy engine bays. use wolfgang deep gloss paint sealen3.0 works good for the painted surface under the hood.

+1 for Simple Green. Great stuff, cheap, and eco friendly. Get it at Bunnings in the cleaning section.