User Tag List

Thread: DCR VVT actuator

Default DCR VVT actuator

Dont assume that these VVT units are the "ducks nuts" compaired too the revised factory parts from mazda. Even though its known that the factory VVT's fail, keep in mind how much time, money and examination mazda (car manufacturers) put into re designing parts they know are failing compared to small fish in the seas attempt at creating a reliable alternative.
    Another good example to follow is "If it aint broke, dont fix it" being to carefull sometimes doesn't workout!

Buying such parts that can cause severe engine damage from over seas means your pretty much all alone.
    Every man should have a V8 ute.....with a Chev badge.....and a Southern Cross sticker! Mods? What mods?

Is there a story to this post michy bum

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Definitely sounds like there's a story attached to this

Quote Originally Posted by MPS2NV View Post
    Dont assume that these VVT units are the "ducks nuts" compaired too the revised factory parts from mazda. Even though its known that the factory VVT's fail, keep in mind how much time, money and examination mazda (car manufacturers) put into re designing parts they know are failing compared to small fish in the seas attempt at creating a reliable alternative.
    Another good example to follow is "If it aint broke, dont fix it" being to carefull sometimes doesn't workout!

Buying such parts that can cause severe engine damage from over seas means your pretty much all alone.
    Mazda couldn't give a rats ass about sorting out this issue once and for all.

Fact is the Mazda VVT actuator even factoring in the "redesign" which is purely just a heat treatment on certain components of the original design is still a piece of shit, Mazda have absolutely no idea how to fix these annoying rattles eminating from certain 2.3 DISI engines.

I've personally wasted thousands at Mazda dealers trying to sort this out and fact is even with a Mazda Japan engineer involved they have no idea how to fix this issue - its a joke.

The DCR actuator is a viable option for those sick of dealing with Mazda - check the US forums its well documented how well these units perform.

You should justify your statements on a public forum such as this.

In the event that something goes wrong the 2 problems you will face is that 'A' the repairer can just blame a part for failure meaning you are left proving that the part is ok and 'B' the over seas seller really doesn't have to do anything if they dont wish too.
    Thats a nice risk to take on some items that may not be better then a dealer supplied part and in the event of a failure the workshop and part supplier would be obligated to you to settle the matter between them. I assume this would also mean that fair trading could also stamp their feet as well.
    Every man should have a V8 ute.....with a Chev badge.....and a Southern Cross sticker! Mods? What mods?

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    I've personally wasted thousands at Mazda dealers trying to sort this out and fact is even with a Mazda Japan engineer involved they have no idea how to fix this issue - its a joke.
    I just had the Timing Chain, Chain Tensioner and VVT Actuator on my car replaced at my own request. Noises are all gone... The VVT Actuator didn't even need to be replaced, I just had it done while they were working on it.

What have you had replaced and what sort of noises are you talking about?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jeev View Post
    I just had the Timing Chain, Chain Tensioner and VVT Actuator on my car replaced at my own request. Noises are all gone... The VVT Actuator didn't even need to be replaced, I just had it done while they were working on it.

Considering the same service myself. Have had a single instance of cold start rattles, and the rest of the time there seems to be just a little bit of noise, and occasionally it'l have a bit of tick/rattle on start. Settles quickly. Only just started making these noises. 145,000K

Any risk to the internals from VVT actuator failures?
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x8.5+44 SSR GTX01 - 235/40R18 Michelin PS5 - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - Corksport turbo manifold - HT 98 octane tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - Bespoke Raspberry Pi Android based GPS/Carplay and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 -225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - COBB inlet - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
    Considering the same service myself. Have had a single instance of cold start rattles, and the rest of the time there seems to be just a little bit of noise, and occasionally it'l have a bit of tick/rattle on start. Settles quickly. Only just started making these noises. 145,000K

It's possible, but I'd be more worried about the risk posed by the chain and tensioner. All work completed including labour and parts were $1650 and I had it done at 154,000kms.

May have to look into it lol

I have 192000kms and counting

Happy Motoring
    duglet

Sent from my Olivetti typewriter

Quote Originally Posted by duglet View Post
    May have to look into it lol

I have 192000kms and counting

I've also heard that your car now sounds a little agricultural

11. Default

I have read on US forums that they are extending the warranty for this issue?
    Attached Files Attached Files

From what info is available to me and discussions I have had with my mazda mate short answer is no. The unit is designed to retard inlet cam timing only and is apparently fail safe in regards to the unit being advanced in the event of a failure providing initial cam timing was set correctly. With the examples of VVT noises on youtube it would be fair say that is pretty true as the cars more then likely get repaired asap! I would expect engine damage if you ignored the serious noises as something in the timing train would eventually fail and severe engine damage would occur!

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus View Post

Your cars nickname "Sleeve of Wizard" is hereby revoked.

*Jeev puts on his robe and wizard hat*

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    Your cars nickname "Sleeve of Wizard" is hereby revoked.
    Indeed. I went for a bit of a cannonball run with the PF guys and got a "That thing is a beast comment"

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Fiend View Post
    *Jeev puts on his robe and wizard hat*

Blog Entries

It's possible, but I'd be more worried about the risk posed by the chain and tensioner. All work completed including labour and parts were $1650 and I had it done at 154,000kms.
    As soon as I said it I thought the timing chain's the bigger worry.
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x8.5+44 SSR GTX01 - 235/40R18 Michelin PS5 - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - Corksport turbo manifold - HT 98 octane tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - Bespoke Raspberry Pi Android based GPS/Carplay and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 -225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - COBB inlet - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold.

I've replaced all three- VVT actuator, timing chain and the tensioner and the same rattle noise on start-up was still there.

Without hearing it myself, it's too hard to say if it's bottom end, top end or something loose. It could just be something really simple, but easy to overlook