User Tag List

Thread: 2006 MPS 6 strange clutch behavior/sticking down on first start of the day

Default 2006 MPS 6 strange clutch behavior/sticking down on first start of the day

heya all!

not sure who to ask about this one, but im sure a mechanic/ally minded person may be able to start me off.

car is a 2006 GG Mazda 6 MPS

recently installed new DBA 4000s slotted rotors and remsa pads, and at the same time had a full brake/clutch flush with nulon super dot 4. also had corksport braided clutch line installed at same time.

install was done by a trusted local mechanic, and has been bled 3 times now to no avail.

on the first run of the day, or after been sitting for hours, the clutch pedal will stick to the bottom of the floor. i have to nip it up with my toe and pump it a few times. pedal feels "sandy/scratchy" until warmed up too. clutch still engages only it has 1 cm of pedal movement. the clutch returns to normal after say 3 mins of driving and feels actually rather good, and has softened the engagement of what was a rather foul and snatchy clutch.

brake pedal also feels perhaps a little soft but very smooth very progressive.

mechanic isnt sure, whats going on without tearing the car apart.

few mechanically minded friends are thinking that the new clutch line and better fluid may have created more pressure than what the car is used to and over extended the piston in the clutch slave or master cyl and popped a seal.

its also possible tho unconfirmed at this stage the car is using/losing clutch/brake fluid (albiet very slowly if it is)

any ideas from anyone? any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Ice

Check all lines, including brake-lines for leaks before you do anything else. Check for progressive fluid loss in the reservoir. Make sure all nipples are fully tightened. Some fluid will appear to be "lost" as the new brake pads bed in. Examine clutch slave cylinder while someone else presses the pedal down, checking for leaks from the slave and any over-travel or restrictions in the linkage. Check under the panel above the clutch pedal for clutch master cylinder leaks into the cabin and any sticking mechanicals or piston over-travel or restrictions. If all these appear fine then you can start to examine the problem further but not until these basics are done.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Quote Originally Posted by IceValk85 View Post
    ... and at the same time had a full brake/clutch flush with nulon super dot 4. also had corksport braided clutch line installed at same time.

install was done by a trusted local mechanic, and has been bled 3 times now to no avail.

on the first run of the day, or after been sitting for hours, the clutch pedal will stick to the bottom of the floor. i have to nip it up with my toe and pump it a few times. pedal feels "sandy/scratchy" until warmed up too. clutch still engages only it has 1 cm of pedal movement. the clutch returns to normal after say 3 mins of driving and feels actually rather good, and has softened the engagement of what was a rather foul and snatchy clutch.
    I had exactly the same symptoms in my 6MPS a couple of months after new HD clutch install...

Bled with Nulon Super DOT4, and things were good for a day or two, then got Waaay worse...

Turned out to be the flexible clutch line... fix was to replace with corksport braided line...

But you have already done that so must either be master or slave cylinders... or a dodgy corksport line?

Chris.
    '05 MPS 6, Liquid Silver Metallic, Leather, Sunroof.

DashHawk, TurboSmart Dualport, COBB SF SRI and TIP, CPe REM, 2XS Titanium SSP, Coolant bypass,
    Exedy OEM spec clutch, Corksport SS Braided Clutch Line, ROH Mantis 18*7.5+45.

Growing old is compulsory... Growing up is optional...

turns out to be the brand new (and 40$ i might add) corksport braided clutch line. doug_MPS twigged me into thinking of checking the resovoir and sure enough, it was halfway down.

car died on the mechanics driveway this morning, no clutch engagement at all. pedal GLUED to floor. just managed to limp there, cut one car off on a roundabout on the way, cause the clutch wouldn't disengage lol.

Where the braided line connected to the slave, the flywheel nut/connector has a bad seal, allowing fluid to leak out behind said connector. mechanic used a mirror to spot it, as it was on the bottom hiding itself from view.

refitted OEM rubber hose and rebled system, seems to be holding now. although the pedal is very soft. it works properly, just has alot less overall travel than ever before (id say about 2/3rds) and is half the weight required to push down. my mates honda jazz has more travel and weight now and one toe can operate it :P

with a bit of luck for now it will hold up until the replacement braided line from distributer is sent up. bloody cars.

will update when replacement line goes on.

Ice
    Last edited by IceValk85; 24-01-2012 at 10:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IceValk85 View Post
    turns out to be the brand new (and 40$ i might add) corksport braided clutch line. doug_MPS twigged me into thinking of checking the resovoir and sure enough, it was halfway down.

car died on the mechanics driveway this morning, no clutch engagement at all. pedal GLUED to floor. just managed to limp there, cut one car off on a roundabout on the way, cause the clutch wouldn't disengage lol.

Where the braided line connected to the slave, the flywheel nut/connector has a bad seal, allowing fluid to leak out behind said connector. mechanic used a mirror to spot it, as it was on the bottom hiding itself from view.

refitted OEM rubber hose and rebled system, seems to be holding now. although the pedal is very soft. it works properly, just has alot less overall travel than ever before (id say about 2/3rds) and is half the weight required to push down. my mates honda jazz has more travel and weight now and one toe can operate it :P

with a bit of luck for now it will hold up until the replacement braided line from distributer is sent up. bloody cars.

will update when replacement line goes on.

Ice
    Wow unlucky man, :S Now I'm thinking if I should install the braided line or not ...

Unreal.. Good to see you got it sorted

Glad something worked out. It's a pest when you check everything you can and still can't find a reason for a problem.

i wouldnt stop anyone installing a braided line, thats for sure. the pedal feel with the braided line was much better.... only it sprung a leak lol

just check the lines when your installing them.

ill be refitting with a new cable thats for sure!

Ice