User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What could cause this?

Default What could cause this?

This morning on the way to work. was sitting in traffic for about 45 minutes. barely moving and when i did move it was just rolling the car slowly down a hill at 2km/h or so. Anyway broke free of traffic and accelerated. As i did a big puff of white smoke came out of the car, for the next 20 metres under acceleration white smoke would come out of the car, not insane amounts but visible none the less, and a fairly pungent smell would catch upto me when i stopped.

got onto open roads and kept driving. the smoke had dissapeared after the first 20 - 30 metres and the smell was diminishing, but it didnt really smell like fuel, it smelt pretty dirty.

Does anyone know what this could be? unburnt fuel coming out after sitting fairly stagnant for 45 minutes or something worse?

hope its nothing worse.

I actually feel a bit ill in the stomch after breathing in a bunch of those fumes. haha
    Last edited by tone; 03-04-2009 at 08:35 AM.

Did it smell like burnt plastic ?

Fuel will not be white if its coming out your exhaust, it will be brown....

---------- Post added at 10:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 AM ----------

white smoke would indicate moisture or something.... was your car garaged last night, or did it sit outside in the pouring rain?...Maybe water has some how mysteriously made its way into something?..... :-S

was garaged all last night.It did smell maybe like burnt plastic.

if there was moisture present woudlnt it have done it from the moment i took off. it probably happened 30 minutes into the drive. and only the once after sitting in traffic for ages

It's not moisture

could be turbo seal is car under warranty

the car is under warranty, but its definately not standard, which i guess sucks

put standard parts back on and take it back to dealer

It could also be coolant there was a recent thread on that here recently

or

read this thread and see if they have the same symptoms
    Stock smoking turbos? - Mazdaspeed Forums

hmm the smoke didnt seem blueish.It seemed more white but i didnt really get a good look as i drove off. Mazda would def void warranty woudlnt they as soon as they see TBE. id put the standard airbox and BOV back on. cant really hide the Xede hey

It could be the coolant
    I'll try to find the thread on here

if it is your turbo they say changing to thicker oil stops the problem

i changed to thicker oil on my last service and it stopped the smoking which i had then. before the oil change it would smoke most of the time at idle. I changed to thicker and it stopped the smoking all together.

It only did it this once in the morning, after sitting in traffic for a long time.

Is it possible to change the seals on the turbo rather then the entire turbo? or is it not worth it

entire turbo
    it you have done the oil
    it may be the coolant

ill have a look see. ill go for a drive at lunch and see if it does it anymore. if i get some wicked smoking. ill take it up pacific hwy to the city and back out maybe. Should i give mazda a call and ask them if they have had anyone else come in with this problem and/or ask them what it could be?

Definitely sounds like the turbo seal issue, the smoke is the coolant entering the exhaust housing directly (not oil as many believe) and it smells woeful.
    How difficult is it to demod the car for a trip to Mazda, otherwise you could try arguing the fact that there is a TSB out for this very issue.

BOV and CAI wouldnt be a problem.

just the TBE and Xede would be left. they woudlnt notice the Xede would they?

++ Matt

Quote Originally Posted by MattMPS3 View Post
    Definitely sounds like the turbo seal issue, the smoke is the coolant entering the exhaust housing directly (not oil as many believe) and it smells woeful.
    How difficult is it to demod the car for a trip to Mazda, otherwise you could try arguing the fact that there is a TSB out for this very issue.

Whats a TSB?

if they say warranty is void from TBE exhaust id hound them and tell them to prove to me how the exhaust willl cause that to happen.

Tech Service Bulletin, the one in question is - NS071_08.

The repalcement turbo part number is MZ3Y1-13-70ZC (I believe the C indicates the third revision of the part)

If you have no joy with Mazda an inlet pipe has been known to cure some cars, with the belief that the pressure within the turbo itself is better balanced after fitting one, and the seals are able to seat in their usual positions.

ok well i'll give mazda a call. and see what i can sus out. hopefully its do-able under wty

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast