User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mps engine blew

no nothing, just a hole in the engine. AAMI said, no water in intercooler or the SUMP or cylinders so no claim.

---------- Post added at 11:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 AM ----------

no nothing, just a hole in the engine. AAMI said, no water in intercooler or the SUMP or cylinders so no claim.

2. Default

If there was any water in the sump or oil would have gone milky & there would be condensation under your oil cap.

does water have to get into there? :S

4. Default

Water can be in a number of places, Since the floods in Qld & Vic we have had insurance companies contact us left, right & center.
    It really depends on the blow up. But with seeing any photos or the vehicle, having a hole in the block wouldn't be flood related.

having a hole in the block wouldn't be flood related?

Yeah, the fact that you started the car and drove it would give insurance companies enough of a reason to not pay out.
    You could fight it, but it would work out cheaper and quicker to cop it on the chin and fix it yourself.
    Sucks yes, but that's how it is with huge companies with lots of money

Water dmg like that usually indicates hydro-lock. In short car wont run. POTENTIALLY, yours ingested SOME water but not enough to lock which COULD have bent a rod and eventually led to the catastrophic failure you had.

All just possibilities, all very hard to prove to an insurance company after the fact.

Quote Originally Posted by mpsgarage View Post
    Series 1 engines run a very flat top piston (BK & GG)
    Series 2 have a small dish piston top (BK & GG)
    Series 3 have a larger dish piston top (BL)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanC View Post
    Well that was clear as mud! lol.
    The first part is actually rather interesting

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Michael

Suggest you also lodge with IDR (Internal Dispute Resolution).

They will take up the complaint regarding the denied claim. If you further disagree, you can speak with the Ombudsman.

Well the local mazda wrecker guy is putting a new engine in for me. Only costing $5500 with 58k k's (Compared to Mazdas $16k brand new) So I'm going to pay for it out of my own pocket. Put a complaint in with the Ombudsman, if i get the money back through insurance i get it, if not oh well life goes on!

still fighting AAMI with the Ombudsman. This is the response from their Mechanic who claims 'over revving' was to blame.

[B]From:*****
    Sent: Friday, 3 August 2012 1:49 PM
    To: **** name deleted ****[/FONT]

To ****** Regarding the applicants claim that he continued to drive a further 500mts after the initial incident, it is possible that the insured kept driving however we would have still been able to find water in the crankcase and/or manifold. Water when induced bends conrods as water does not compress, the damage with this piston is that the head has broken off typical of an over revved engine as momentum drives the force upwards and lets go, with all the water damaged engines we have repaired they have bent conrods which have caused engine failure, all the mazdas / fords we have repaired have had this issue, they also leave the engine bores rusty and in this case there was also no rust evident

Regards Michael K
    Cheltenham Vehicle Inspections
    VACC Accredited Repairer

****** edited to remove names *******
    Last edited by Caffeine Fiend; 24-09-2012 at 07:02 PM.

Out of interest sake what happened to the engine you blew?

If you made it 500m I would expect there to be signs of water in the intake system still, wet air cleaner, some stains... It is possible that you injested enough to cause an event that damaged your rods and further driving allowed that to **** shit up, If You didn't intially injest enough water to stall the engine its possible that driving cleared enough moisture out and assuming your engine was hot it would also evaperate alot of moisture but would still expect to see a sign of water.
    The volume that went in is unknown at the end of the day.
    Every man should have a V8 ute.....with a Chev badge.....and a Southern Cross sticker! Mods? What mods?

the engine was inspected about 2 weeks after the incident which was in summer during a heat wave.....What does he mean about the pistons typical of an 'over revved' engine? Can you even Over rev an mps engine?

Rev limiters can be easily defeated, the limiter will only limit controlled acceleration of the engine, it cant however stop over-revving caused by inertia, i.e driving at 5000rpm in 4th, dropping the car into second gear and side stepping the clutch will almost certainly cause the engine to rev well beyond its recommended mechanical tolerances.

Moral Is carry bottle of Mt Franklin, open cap and fill lol.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 using crapatalk

Over rev would prob leave signs of valve damage and id over rev enough to bend rods your face would leave impression on the windscreen

Please tell us, without naming names how they linked your vehicle to your membership. I am interested to know.

Default Mps engine blew

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    Please tell us, without naming names how they linked your vehicle to your membership. I am interested to know.
    I did a google search on my email address and google linked the "Peter" and the "SLIXX" in my signature

But this wouldn't be 100% proof that my email address and the forums are linked

Peter "SLIXX"

Snapped by Tangcla - FB Page
    Currently RaydTuned
    Lots of love from 2XS Racing & Dan's Garage Detailing

It's interesting that this discussion was used in the insurance communications but I don't think the talk here is necessarily damaging to his case. A lot of the knowledge here could be used to benefit members claims.

The way they describe the piston failure and typical water related engine blow ups is pretty clear cut. If they see no evidence of water then they are within their rights to deny the claim, even if it was the cause.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast