User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Telstra... Vodafone... Optus... Advice Required...

Default Telstra... Vodafone... Optus... Advice Required...

So, after 2 months of complaining, Telstra have let me out of my Mobile contract 12 months early.

It appears in Eagle Street, Brisbane, there is no 3G services - or poor at best.

Usually average ping rates of >500ms and 0.10Mbs downloads and uploads at 0.01Mbs.

Telstra aside, what are peoples experience with Optus, or Vodafone?

I was with Vodafone 12months ago, it was appalling. Have they fixed their shit yet?

vodaphone is still crap as they bought out 3 mobile and their network dont support great speeds. i was optus before telstra and i found alot of dead spots in the city, but more useable than vodaphone.

A mate was testing the new HTC 4G Velocity on Telstra in Brisbane yesterday. Sent me a sppedtest pic of 34 ping, 54.16Mbps down and 18.32Mbps up. They launch on Tuesday.

We're upgrading Vodafones network. Before the upgrade they where using sub-e1 bandwidth on some sites, equivalent to ADSL. Their focus is coverage, not experience. They claim they will be IP in 3 years.

Optus has IP (Optical GigE links) sites now, primarily in the Metro areas.

But if you want speed, coverage and an almost LTE (we're building that one too) network, it's Telstra, sorry
    Last edited by Yeldarb; 18-01-2012 at 05:13 PM.

Optus is very poor where I live Dan, can't even get 3G coverage. And it's just down the road from you...

Same situation at my work.

I'm going through the process of getting out of my Optus contract to move to Telstra.

Im surprised you left Telstra, i was with Vodafone for 3 weeks before i had to file with the ombudsmen to be let out of contract. They even offered free service for a few months.
    Vodafone was crap. i moved to Telstra and its the best thing Ive done phone related.

Quote Originally Posted by Cton View Post
    Im surprised you left Telstra, i was with Vodafone for 3 weeks before i had to file with the ombudsmen to be let out of contract. They even offered free service for a few months.
    Vodafone was crap. i moved to Telstra and its the best thing Ive done phone related.
    went from a phone that wasnt nextG (ie piggybacked on 3) and moved to one that supported nextG... night and day... 15-20x the speed...
    am amazed you're getting poor speeds on telstra though...
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Once upon a time i was with optus, in sydney i would get perfect reception in the house, my uncle who i was living with at the time couldn't get any signal with telstra in the house, would have to go outside.
    Living back in country NSW now and soon as you would leave town, no signal.
    After many many arguments with Optus about the poor service, i found that some of their towers operate on a lower frequency than the majority of new smartphones work on, resulting in slow, or no signal at all.
    At one point i rang them to complain about having no signal on my phone, i used dads telstra phone. Tech support said i must be too far from a tower. Imagine their surprise when i said i'm sitting on it.
    Anyway. Eventually they let me out of my contract, went to telstra, far better signal, have not had any drop outs (everytime there was a storm i'd lose signal for a day with optus) and far faster phone internet.

My mobile wireless internet was with dodo (uses optus network) the accounts girl said when i was cancelling my contract again for poor service that optus is useless in NSW, lots of prone drop out spots. I got telstra and my download speeds have gone from 0.3mps to 7.7mps on average.

If telstra is not suiting you, i don't know what will. Even optus didn't suit what i needed, it might suit you. I had no personal issues with the service they gave me, its just not good in country NSW. At least you can try and they say they let you out of a contract or give you your money back if your not happy after a certain time. Worth a shot, nothing to lose

I am with Voda and it's truely hit and miss. Sometimes it works really well, others not so good. The only reason I am with them is that they include calls to the UK for me.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Next time you look at your Optus or Vodafone Bill, look at the locations where you made the call. If it has a "-V" it's a Vodafone build site. The rest are Optus sites that Vodafone shares the tower and the Antenna system. Before that they were sharing the base station as well, but Optus said up yours, you're dragging us down. So Optus installed modern Nokia and Huawai kit, with 2x back haul to each site. Lots more reasons to avoid Vodafone.

Our work was with optus. Terrible coverage on 3G. Call dropouts all the time. Couldn't handle the frustration anymore so we switched to Telstra.

More expensive but the best coverage.

At home I unfortunately when upgrading my 3 phone had to switch to vodafail to get a new phone. Network is terrible. Have to go outside the house to make calls.

At least with 3 I had 1 or 2 bars of coverage. Not sure why vodafail does not use the 3 network which seems to work better.

3 Network is also known as 3GIS in our work. It was completely separate to Vodafone, but a recent deal meant that Telstra are getting 50%, Vodafone the other 50%. This will definitely help Vodafone, they'll eventually upgrade their network into the old 3GIS sites. Still, Telstra is the best solution for speed.

Don't discount Optus, their still spending big, they'll be LTE in a couple of years.
    Last edited by Yeldarb; 19-01-2012 at 06:57 AM.

I was suprised this morning - my housemate uses Vodafone - Ping 127ms, Download 4.73Mbs, upload 1.72Mbs.

Telstra, Ping 178ms, Download 1.01Mbs, upload 0.78Mbs.

Silly question, could the radio in your phone be defective?

Do other telstra users with same phone suffer similar issues in your building?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Both iPhones....

Telstra has the best network by such a ridiculous margin. If you were dissapointed in them, you will hate the others.

^^ Completely true.

As far as general base capacity goes; the average Telstra metro site has wayyyyy more capacity then the other carriers. Now that they're running 2 3G technologies and LTE the gap is only going to get wider and wider. Although once the Optus LTE network gets moving, which should be happening very soon they will be a nice alternative. But if you're after speed and reliability, Telstra are pretty hard to pass up... Voda have so much catching up to do it's scary.

There are a lot of sites around Eagle Street though because Telstra have a lot of corporate clients in at area, so it's ether something effecting/blocking signal in your immediate vicinity (metallic external cladding on some buildings have a Faraday cage effect) or maybe an issue with your device.

Depends on the state. Optus is great here in Vic but voda and 3 are rubbish. Telstra 3g speeds are average but that could be because my telstra some is in an ifail

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

I use my Telstra sim in my GNex and have no issues anywhere.

I was with Vodafone for 16 yrs. they have rubbish service and signal.

I would check your phone personally.

Happy Motoring
    duglet

Sent from my Olivetti typewriter

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    Depends on the state. Optus is great here in Vic but voda and 3 are rubbish. Telstra 3g speeds are average but that could be because my telstra some is in an ifail

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    possibly...
    SGS2/GN: 21mbps HSDPA
    iphone4S: 14.4mbps HSDPA
    iphone4/3GS: 7.2mbps HSDPA
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast