User Tag List

Thread: Fuel consumption after ecu reset?

Default Fuel consumption after ecu reset?

Hi all, i just put in some new spark plugs and gave the intercooler a general clean etc.. How long does it take for the avg fuel consumption figures to even out? I seem to be sitting on 14 after new plugs, cleaning the intercooler and maf sensor etc... Done about 50kms and still sitting at 14-15l/100 around town? Have noticed the intercooler is alot cooler after giving it a clean. Car is completely stock btw.
    Last edited by dazza; 16-01-2012 at 03:18 PM.

Hard to answer without more details but I'd say it's high for an MPS6 if you're driving "normally" (i.e not in city traffic and flogging it hard all the time), especially if you had lower figures before. If it doesn't settle down to your previous experience in 100-200kms then you might have overlooked something in your reassembly, such as under-tightened hose-clamps, leaky MAF sensor gasket, etc. Make the MAF is installed so the air-flow is in the right direction. It's pretty hard to get that wrong as the lead length makes it pretty obvious which way it needs to go, but it can happen.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_MPS6 View Post
    Hard to answer without more details but I'd say it's high for an MPS6 if you're driving "normally" (i.e not in city traffic and flogging it hard all the time), especially if you had lower figures before. If it doesn't settle down to your previous experience in 100-200kms then you might have overlooked something in your reassembly, such as under-tightened hose-clamps, leaky MAF sensor gasket, etc. Make the MAF is installed so the air-flow is in the right direction. It's pretty hard to get that wrong as the lead length makes it pretty obvious which way it needs to go, but it can happen.
    Hmm well before i changed the plugs etc it was avg ~ 12 city driving. Might check the spark plug gaps etc and put the old ones back in if it doesnt change, although I wouldnt of thought that would affect mileage. I tightened all the hoses really well, maf housing screws seem quite loose feels like they were overtightened from prior experience. Might just be coincidence but Ive only noticed this after my last fill with vortex 98. Every other time I've used BP 98 unless I got a dodgy tank.
    Last edited by dazza; 16-01-2012 at 04:59 PM.

I generally get 550-600km for 50 litres. I had a tank of vortex a couple of weeks ago which gave me 482km for 52 litres. I normally use BP or Shell and the milage is pretty consistent.
    Maybe vortex is shit at the moment.

14 or 15 Litres per 100 miles is good going.... Always best to fill car up then see how much fuel used per milage though.... 55 litres of fuel will always give me over 300 miles, 'normally' about 330

Quote Originally Posted by kevstewart View Post
    14 or 15 Litres per 100 miles is good going.... Always best to fill car up then see how much fuel used per milage though.... 55 litres of fuel will always give me over 300 miles, 'normally' about 330
    Its kilometers
    100k =60miles

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

The fuel trims should have settled around 50km after a reset, but if you're referring to the 'average' fuel consumption indication on the dash, it will take several hundred km for the number to reflect a significant change in consumption because, well, it's an average.

Ok thanks guys I will keep an eye on it

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    Its kilometers
    100k =60miles

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Not quite sam.. 62.1 mph = 100kph

---------- Post added at 07:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:48 PM ----------

I notice a massive increase from 95 to 98..
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

i sit at 14.0-14.5 l/100 pure city driving, day in day out, week in week out. its like clockwork.

i only fill up from the one servo. i had quite an improvement using an aftermarket SRI, around 13l/100, but it upset the car and made it jerk at cruising speed, so it had to come off.

straight back to 14.5l/100 again :P

Ice

Blog Entries

I think mine takes as much as 1000k to finish tuning itself after a reset/reflash. (Using hypetech tune)
    Don't know if it does, but it seems to chew more for the first couple of tanks.