User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel- United Petroleum 100 octane

Default Fuel- United Petroleum 100 octane

Ok, so I have just had a United Petroleum been put up near me.
    They sell E85 and I beleive they have the 100 octane premium there.
    Any of you fuel gurus know if the 100 is good? Or anyone tried it?
    Thanks.

100RON is avaliable in Japan.
    Should obviously be better than 98. On the assumption your car is tuned for it. Otherwise, i don't think it will make a huge difference.
    Unless of cause you car is already out of tune (older cars - not really a new car problem)

Reduce the chance of detonation but I think it raises combustion and operating temps at the same time, so is a bit of a double edged sword. At least that's what race fuel apparently does.

Unless you are approaching detonation or excessively advanced ignition, the 100 should not raise temps. I used to run my Maserati on 130 Aviation gasoline with no troubles, no higher temps, a noticeable boost in perfromance and a nice clean engine as a side benefit. With the modifiable ECU's a lot of us run, it should be possible to tweak your advance to optimize this fuel.

Shell used to have 100 octane available at limited locations in Sydney but it was discontinued, probably due to insufficient demand. I ran it in the MPS a few times and it didn't offer any advantage because I didn't have a problem with detonation. In fact the car was less potent with the Shell 100 octane, which from memory had a high proportion of ethanol in it (ie less energy). I also suspected that it had a large amount of anti-knock additive to achieve 100 octane that was displacing the energy producing part of the fuel. It felt like there wasn't a lot of petrol in that petrol. But that's just speculation.

This may be a marketing strategy by United related to the NSW government banning 91 octane fuel.

Gone to Volvo

^Its true, The 100 octane has 10% ethanol in it. which the gen 2 anyway, is made to cope with.
    The Ethanol bumps up the octane rating. Not sure about it having less energy? Ethanol has alot more Oxygen in the fuel, this creates a cleaner burning fuel.
    E85 for instance has alot of oxygen in the fuel. This creates more power. But obviously needs to be tuned for.
    I have heard that 100 octane pump fuel can alter the AFR by up to half a point. due to the ethanol.

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    This may be a marketing strategy by United related to the NSW government banning 91 octane fuel.
    Or more likely, a marketing stratergy to appeal to those that know little about fuel. 100RON is more than 98RON so it must be better and will make my car go faster

Way back when I first had my MPS we had a dyno day on Brisbane. I was running Shell V Power 100RON, others were running various flavours of 98RON.

I dynoed 14kw atw higher on average. Same dyno, same conditions against other stock MPS's. Read into that what you will.

While on alcohol-added fuels, you may be interested in this recent item:

Green fuel fails to meet emissions standards

Green fuel fails to meet emissions standards
    James Robertson, Jessica Wright
    January 17, 2012

THE NSW government's plan to ban regular unleaded fuel has been thrown into doubt by the revelation that the state's only ethanol producer, Manildra, has failed the government's clean fuel test, with its ethanol producing more greenhouse gas emissions than previously thought.

New modelling by the Productivity Commission has shown the ethanol produced by the Manildra Group is only 42 per cent more efficient than unleaded petrol, falling short of the target set by the government regulator, Office of Biofuels, which says ethanol should have 50 per cent lower greenhouse gas emissions than fossil fuels.

Manildra maintains its ethanol is produced from waste products and therefore virtually emissions-free, a line supported by the previous NSW Labor government which originally legislated to replace unleaded fuel with ethanol blended fuel. Advertisement: Story continues below

But evidence has emerged to suggest Manildra's production of ethanol has increasingly relied on the use of food products grown by the company, which the Productivity Commission says accounts for the growth in emissions.

According to the NSW Supreme Court, between 2006 and 2009, while the amount of flour Manildra manufactured for export fell 50 per cent, the amount it put into ethanol increased by 80 per cent.

The Department of Planning approved Manildra's 2008 application to more than double the capacity of its ethanol plant at Nowra on the basis of an environmental assessment that its ethanol was 65 per cent waste.

But the report was based on figures provided by Manildra. The consultants, GHD, who wrote the document, stated it ''[did] not represent, warrant or guarantee the assessment''.

The Office of Biofuels said Manildra told it 80 per cent of its ethanol was made from waste last year but admitted that Manildra's ethanol has never been independently audited.

The new figures from the Productivity Commission contradict Manildra's estimates, which were largely relied on in the former government's decision-making process to phase out regular unleaded petrol.

From July, NSW petrol stations will no longer be permitted to sell regular unleaded petrol because the government wants to promote renewable biofuels. The decision has divided experts over its benefits.

An Australian Competition and Consumer Commission report last month warned of a ''significant impact'' on consumers, particularly those whose cars could not run on ethanol-blended petrol and were forced to use more expensive premium unleaded petrol. Motoring experts say it is still a more expensive option because it is less fuel efficient over a given distance than regular unleaded.

Manildra has commissioned a review, to be conducted by consultants NCS International, to determine whether its ethanol meets the 50 per cent standard. The findings are expected to be made public in the coming weeks.

A spokesman for the Energy Minister, Chris Hartcher, said the government would continue with its plans to ban unleaded petrol from July.

Manildra did not return requests for comment.

Read more: Green fuel fails to meet emissions standards

=====================

Manildra (Dick Honan) arranged deals with the Carr Govt to produce alcohol from various fermented wastes - initially at Nowra. To force Ethanol onto all users of petroleum (any blend) is a recipe for disaster for vehicles not designed to handle the fuel. Issues ranging from the fuel tank itself, to the lines, to the flexible components, injectors and pumps - and so on - ALL require far more expensive parts and engineering, and when the fuel kills cars? The big question then will be - WHO WILL PAY?

I know! THE GREENS! (not)........ :-(
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

It's ok, manildra group will just increase their "political contributions" and magically the fuel will pass all of the governments tests

Sorry to hijack, but does anyone know who United uses to supply their 98 in WA? Is it still BP holding the monopoly here?

Hi. I have a 2008 Mazda 3 MPS with a standard computer. When Shell used to sell that V Power Racing 100 octane I ran the car on it all the time and there was a very noticeable improvement in power, but shell took it off. However just last week I started using 100 octane fuel from United 24 petrol station (100 Premium) and I think that it is just as good if not better in performance than V Power Racing in the past. I can also say that if I knew that 100 octane fuel will be avaliable back again and it will make such a improvement I wouldn't buy that bloody fmic from HDI, which will be installed in a few weeks.

Paul, with the addition of intake mods (more air, cooler intake charge), and a propper tune for 98/100 ron insead of 95/98, you'll see massive improvements in torque. Don't write off your fmic yet

I've been running bp ultimate for one year on a HYpertech , with occasional pinging . I changed to caltex 98 and now ping alot less . After I finish this current tank I'm going to give the united 100 a go . Clearly the hypertech was tuned on 91 (95 Ron), which explains why the tune is so sensitive to petrol I use .

I have found BP 98 or caltex 98 in both my MPS's works best. I tryed the 100oct and didnt run as well

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    That ban has since been overturned, although the requirement for 6% of all fuel sold in NSW to contain 10% ethanol remains: Premier bows to motorists on unleaded fuel

17. Default

Shit did i just find out the difference between BP98 and United 100, my car was tuned by Rayd using 100 and did 2 3rd gear pulls today when it was low on fuel max KR it hit was 0 to 0.7 from 4400 to 5600 rpm, put 20 lts of BP98 and drove it round abit, went to the same exact place and same map 2 more 3rd gear pulls and around the same rpm range it's hitting KR 2.1 to 3.1 !! all the way trough the same rpms. When the ECU pulls 2 degrees of timing it's a hefty power hit, God bless united 100. Of course meth or an e85 blend would eliminate this but wanted to see the difference from the pump.
    MPS Gen 2 2012 - i think i have Ebola

United 100 = 10% e...
    So, it's effectively an e85 blend just at a lower percentage than most (20-45% ethanol)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yep, I luv the stuff too. I only put in 100 and am trying to dial in the tune for it.

20. Default

I know, i meant i could use the e85 pump and throw some in to do an e30 mix to get rid of any knock with the same map, i was expecting the 98 to maybe hit 1.5 knock, i am not game enough to try a 4th gear pull with it, the knock in 3rd with 100 is only there for about 300 rpm 5000-5300 and possibly noise it usually runs 0 in 3rd and a 0.7 for a couple of hundred rpms in a 4th gear pull, 4400rpm to 5600rpm 3rd gear with 98 it sees 2.1 and increasing to 3.1 through the whole rev range.
    if anyone wants a free 25litres of BP98 you are welcome to come suck it out of my tank lol.
    MPS Gen 2 2012 - i think i have Ebola

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast