User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to paint badges black

Default How to paint badges black

This is how I removed, painted black and refitted my front bumper Mazda badge. This is easiest done with the front bar removed, but can be done with the front bar fitted. May require a small mirror for some help. You all know what it looks like as standard chrome (no pics attached)

Tools required:
    Small flat screwdriver (for the clips on the badge) approx. 5cm long
    Philips head screwdriver (for the vents/diffusers)
    Small mirror
    1000 grit sandpaper (wet or dry)
    Paint colour of your choice (plastic adhesive style paint) I chose satin black
    1 carton of (insert refreshing beverage here)

Time: 2hrs 30 mins:

Based on 29 mins of removal and painting and 2 hrs for the paint to dry and consumption of said beverage and 1 min to refit.

1: Removal of the vents/diffuser:

Remove the vents from the front bar to crossmember. Undo the Philips head clips and remove the centre of the clip, then remove the clip. Repeat this step until you have removed all 4 clips then remove the vent/diffuser. Repeat for the other side. Now you have access to the back of the badge.

2: Removal of the badge:

The badge contains 5 clips for removal, 1 at the top, 1 on either side and 2 at the bottom. With the screwdriver, press the clips inwards slowly, one at a time. Do not force the badge or it will break the clips (as seen in one of my clips, lol)

What the bar looks like when removed. Only the chrome badge is removed.

3: Preparing the badge:

First I lightly sanded the badge with 1000 grit paper, so as not to remove the chrome. Clean the badge with some "Prepsol" or wax and grease remover. Now you're ready to paint.

4: Painting the badge:

Open the lid, and paint. If you don't know how to do this, STOP READING NOW.
    No pics needed.

5: Refit the badge: (When it's dry)

Press the badge gently back into the front bar. Stand back and admire you're handy work. lol

Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

Nice guide, might do mine one quiet weekend..

nice as... saw awesome variation to this where a red coat was applied under the black... then as a final touch the front edges were lghtly sanded back to reveal a red lip.. was mad as... !!

nice work

noice. That says it all.

When I did mine I used a tinting spray,
    I also hit the SP23 badges with the tinting spray then as it was drying rubbed it back making the red SP in the badge a dark red instead of a real bright colour, personally I think it looks awsome.

.....or you can buy the blacked out badges and avoid getting your hands dirty

AWESOME GUIDE, 2XS!!
    Are you planning to do the badges on the back of the car as well?
    I will be interested to know if you will remove the badges off the car to paint them, and if so, what kind of adhesive needed to stick them back on?
    Last edited by Taz; 03-04-2009 at 12:30 PM.

Rear badges this weekend maybe. And yes I could have just bought them too. But wheres the fun in that. This way you can get creative or changes the colours whenever you feel. lol. Maybe pink, Dotty?

i see this will be a job for me when i get home.

Blog Entries

Gave you a thanks for that one!

And a sticky

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvandan View Post
    .....or you can buy the blacked out badges and avoid getting your hands dirty

What

Quote Originally Posted by armthehomeless View Post
    Gave you a thanks for that one!

And a sticky
    Thanks! for that.

Wondering the crews thoughts - yay or neigh

Instead of painting i am thinking about getting some carbonfibre vinyl/adhesive and blacking out the badges with that.

I have a Black 2010 Lux due min/late May so will look into it more then, but i think it would be HOT

That could be interesting Dices.

Keep us posted on that.

Couple of Q's.

2XS - did you primer and or clear coat?
    - how many coats of each did you use to get that effect??

Has anyone tackled the rear badges yet?
    If so how did you re attach them??

--> Ive ordered some carbon fibre vinyl to do the front badge, will look at blackifying the rear badges and hope they turn out as nicely as 2XS's

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by Dices View Post
    Couple of Q's.

2XS - did you primer and or clear coat?
    - how many coats of each did you use to get that effect??

Has anyone tackled the rear badges yet?
    If so how did you re attach them??

--> Ive ordered some carbon fibre vinyl to do the front badge, will look at blackifying the rear badges and hope they turn out as nicely as 2XS's

Cheers,
    No primer. The plastic paint has a flexible self priming aditive in it. No clear, I wanted a satin look.

I've removed the rear badges to piant, and, I like the back without the badges so much, I'm going to have the holes filled instead.
    Achievements
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

I was thinking of removing the badges at the back too... Which one has the holes? and how did you remove them?

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    I was thinking of removing the badges at the back too... Which one has the holes? and how did you remove them?
    The Flying "M" symbol in the centre has 2 holes and the "MAZDA" on the left has 3 holes. The "3" has no holes and the "MPS" has no holes.

I pryed them off with a giant metal bar, gouging the paint as I went, not. I used a heatgun to soften the double-sided tape and pulled them off with just my fingers. The ones with the holes, I pushed from the inside aswell.
    Achievements
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Yep. I used a hairdryer and it softened it enough to pull off. Where it cought a little I dragged some thin fishing line under the badge and it came off super easy
    Then I did the 'evil M' badge treatment for the rear badge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast