User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brake light mod - cool and simple

Default Brake light mod - cool and simple

]Hey all, I found this on a USA forum and thought it looked really cool and easy - I might get to it this weekend, if anyone beats me to it, just let me know how it goes

This DIY as is, has been done on all 1st gen 6i, 6s (including hatch backs), and Mazdaspeed 6. But you must have a spoiler with a 3rd brake light.

(Hatchback version of this DIY can be found here.... DIY: Brake Light Mod (Hatchback) 2003-2008 - 6Crew.com Forum)

Here are before and after pics for those who may not know what this mod is.

after

Tools you may need
    16ga wire, Electrical tape/solder, Flat head screwdriver, wire stripper (knife in this case) For a noob it would be worth a couple dollars to get the proper tool for wire stripping. I can be found at any hardware store.

1) In order to remove the fasteners use the flathead screwdriver to pop up the center locking mechanism then pull fastener out. Remove all plastic fasteners from top of trunk in order to remove the carpet.

2) Take about 4feet of 16ga wire, strip the one end, strip enough to fold over the end making the wire twice as thick.

3) Find the harness of the running light you want to make a brake light.

Stick the wire in the open slot of the harness.

Give a light tug to make sure it is secure and has made a connection.
    Tape this new wire to the other two for more added security.

4) Now take the other end of the wire and run it to the other running light you want to be a brake light and connect the same way you did in step 3.

5) Now, find the harness for the Third brake light that you have in your spoiler.

Much like you did with the tail lights you are going to strip one end of the wire, and stick the wire into the harness. Only this time do not fold the end of the wire over 'cuase you will be sharing the slot this time. Stick the new wire in the same slot as the black and white wire already in the harness. This should be a much shorter piece than what you used the first time. Read step 6 before you cut this piece of wire.

6) Now the other end of the wire you just striped is going to tap into the first wire you ran. In the center of the first wire, strip a small section exposing the wire. If this is too difficult, just cut the first wire into two pieces and strip both new ends. Take the wire from the 3rd brake light and run it to the bare section in the first wire or if you cut your piece tie all three pieces together

Tape up or solder your exposed wire. Tape/secure your new wire to the trunk lid anyway you like for a clean install.

7) Before you put everything back together close the trunk and check that the new brake lights do indeed work.

8) If everything works out good, close it up and go for a drive
    Last edited by EQ; 02-04-2009 at 08:18 PM.

2. Default

ohhh yeh thats what I want

EXACTLY what I thought when I saw it...

4. Default

but we dont have a globe or anything in the inner 'light' ??

oh....well if thats the case that a bugger!

6. Default

i think there's a thread floating around OMC and u have to drill a hole in the 'fake' light and put a globe in .... Nickows has done it maybe he can put down some steps for that part for us

Found it - seems easy just search on brake light mod and it comes right up. Get to the wreckers and get hold of a set of globe holders and globes, drill hole and wire up!

Just buy the LED tail lights
    they have the extra brake light in them

I'll have to check how i hooked it up because i forget! I did this mod about 2.5 years ago. I dont even remember where i got the globe holders and globes from. I know it wasnt from Mazda. I'll check and get back to you

GOOD mode to go with black out look i had some drama's getting the boot handle out. IT slides left to right about 5 mil so it would seem to pop out but i didn't want to force the issue, so i have left that mode till some-one can give more information ....

11. Default

Sorry guys, I've been a slacko when it comes to checking how I wired up my tail lights. Does anybody still need some help on wiring/installation, or have you found the info elsewhere? I'm about to purchase some LED tail lights, so if anyone still needs help with the brake light mod I can take some photos prior to installing the LEDs.

12. Default

Yes Nick photos please

+1.

Nick...thought you wernt spending any more cash on the beast....

14. Default

Quote Originally Posted by EQ View Post
    +1.

Nick...thought you wernt spending any more cash on the beast....
    I thought so too! But there's just so many mods you can do to this car. Just can't help myself

Does anyone have any pics of this mod? Where can I get a center LED?

Where are the Pics AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!?

oops - deleted them from my mazspace! Here's the link to the US Forum

DIY: Brake Light Mod - 6Crew.com Forum

Cool Has anyone converted their 6 tail lights to LED?

19. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mps666 View Post
    Cool Has anyone converted their 6 tail lights to LED?

Nickows maybe ... hows it going Nick ... pics of that
    Taken my boring, bland, lame Subaru and my fat ass and driven off into the sunset with a smile on my face

20. Default

I have LED tails on order, no ETA ATM. Will post pics when i get them installed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast