User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brake light mod - cool and simple

1. Default

Righto guys, I've finally taken some pics of the wiring in the bootlid, as well as a couple of others to help with the brake light/tail light mod.

The instructions that EQ linked to are great but there a couple of things not mentioned:

1. You need to buy a pair of globle holders and dual filament globes for the inner tail lamps (I think the US Mazda6 already had the globes installed, they just weren't utilised). I purchased the holders and globes from Autobarn (Narva I think). I didn't use the OEM ones from Mazda because they didn't have any wires coming out of the globe holder like the Autobarn ones did. Having the wire coming out of the globe holder makes wiring easier. If you wanted to use the OEM globe holder you would also have to buy the harness from Mazda.

On a side note, there was no difference between in brightness/colour between the OEM globes and the Narva globes. Here is a pic of the globe holder and globe that I used (note wire coming out of the holders was originally 100mm long, but i stupidly cut them off too short when doing the LED install):

2. You need to drill a hole in the inner tail lamps to put the globes in. The hole I drilled was 21mm, to match the globe holder. This provided a snug, secure fit. For extra security I taped the globe holder to the tail lamp housing. You could glue it but then you're stuffed if you have to replace a globe. Note that if you are installing the LED tails you don't have to do this. Here is a pic of the hole:

3. The instructions only refer to wiring up for the brake light, not the tail lights. If you run an extra wire you can have the inner tail lights light up as well, when you turn your lights on (just like the original outer tail lights do)

So, the simplest thing to do is run an extra wire for the tail lights. Just follow the original instructions from Step 2 to Step 4 for the brake lights, then repeat these steps again but wire up for the tail lights.

Tap power for these tail lights from the wiring or the harness of the licence plate light. From memory, the circled wires in the pic below lead up to the licence plate harness, and the partially obscured white harness in the bottom right of the pic is the brake light harness (but I may have these two mixed up!) Just follow the wiring from either the spoiler brake light or the licence plate light and you'll soon work out which is which:

Here is a pic of the wiring when the install was finished. The red wire was the one used for the brake lights/tail lights:

So there are a couple of extra steps involved for the Oz-spec Mazda6. I hope what I've written here has made sense. If you have any other questions i'll try my best to help out.
    Last edited by nickows; 13-07-2009 at 12:53 AM.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by nickows View Post
    1. You need to buy a pair of globle holders and dual filament globes for the inner tail lamps (I think the US Mazda6 already had the globes installed, they just weren't utilised). I purchased the holders and globes from Autobarn (Narva I think). I didn't use the OEM ones from Mazda because they didn't have any wires coming out of the globe holder like the Autobarn ones did. Having the wire coming out of the globe holder makes wiring easier. If you wanted to use the OEM globe holder you would also have to buy the harness from Mazda.

On a side note, there was no difference between in brightness/colour between the OEM globes and the Narva globes. Here is a pic of the globe holder and globe that I used (note wire coming out of the holders was originally 100mm long, but i stupidly cut them off too short when doing the LED install):

2. You need to drill a hole in the inner tail lamps to put the globes in. The hole I drilled was 21mm, to match the globe holder. This provided a snug, secure fit. For extra security I taped the globe holder to the tail lamp housing. You could glue it but then you're stuffed if you have to replace a globe. Note that if you are installing the LED tails you don't have to do this.
    Does anybody have any photos of the kind of globes/holders you'd use for this?

Also, has anyone who's done this had issues with fuses blowing on the brake light/tail light circuit?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12