User Tag List

Thread: South African MPS6 Owner

1. Default South African MPS6 Owner

Hi all, new to the forum, all the way in South Africa
    I have had my MPS6 for a couple of months now and I love it. I will post some pics this weekend.
    I bought it second hand, one owner before me, and it was babied, so in great condition mechanically, just a few minor bumps and scratches. The MPS here is not as potent as your Aussie versions, because of the fuel we get here, but still goes like the clappers
    I am starting to mod the car, but here in SA parts are a problem, not getting them, but the price. It is expensive here to do anything. So I am starting slowly.
    So far I have bought the following, Corcksport TIP, Fujitsu CAI, and a custom blow off valve. I have only installed the TIP. Reason being I live on dirt road and want the best possible filtration, and havent installed the BOV as I have read the standard one is really good anyway.
    Well thats my story and I hope to pick up some good tips from you guys.
    Cheers for now

Nice work and welcome.

Re: Expensive parts, we have the same problem. Shit here costs too much and most of us these days are importing all of our own bits. It's still nearly always cheaper to pay for international postage on items than it is to buy from any of the Australian stores.

Thats thanks to the exchange rate being favourable for us at the moment as well, I have no idea how your currency stacks up against the $US atm so it might be a diff story.

Hey hey, that sounds close to home!! Welcome mate! Keen to see those pics. Where about in SA are you?

to the forums
    as has been said, it's often cheaper for us to buy direct from the states than to buy locally (go figure...)
    for parts, try these guys: Mazdaspeed, Subaru, Mitsubishi, Honda, Nissan, VW, BMW, Hyundai, and more Performance and Aftermarket Parts | Sport Compact and Tuner Aftermarket Performance Car Parts quite a few of us have bought off them, and they've been fantastic
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Welcome!!

6. Default

Yeah well we have a major problem here. Shipping to Africa cost alot and our Rand (currency) isnt great. At the moment we hitting about 8 Rand to 1 US dollar, so make its difficult. We also have a huge problem with customs here. you never know what duty they going to hit you with once your item arrives. So importing is risky

Rogwick - I am from Johannesburg originally but have moved to Rustenburg for work. Where you from

Quote Originally Posted by BazzaR View Post
    Rogwick - I am from Johannesburg originally but have moved to Rustenburg for work. Where you from
    From Zimbabwe actually. My parents didn't want to die so came to Aus when I was 3. I have family in Johannesburg.

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

8. Default

HA HA, didnt want to die!!!
    Good move cause Zim has really turned out crap. Its apparently getting better now days.

It'll only get better (maybe) if Mugabe dies, he's long overdue for a bullet. My dad is Rhodesian and was in the military. Back when Rhodesia was a great nation under Ian Smith (not that I know much as it was before my time)
    It went down hill fast when Mugabe came into power (The modern day Hitler)

lols

Welcome mate, keen to see some photos
    The SA car market has always interested me, have been wanting to get my hands on a SA r31 for some time (leather from the factory etc)

Good luck with the 6 dude, you must be loving it on the dirt roads

11. Default

Ha Ha, love the dirt. It is awesome how well the 4 wheel drive works, with traction control off. Can believe the grip.
    What is a r31?

Quote Originally Posted by BazzaR View Post
    What is a r31?

Welcome aboard !

Nice to have representation from all around the globe !

Looking forward to the pikchas !

Hey BazzaR....howzit ! Fellow South African here as well ...from Cape Town originally.

I can vouch for stuff being very expensive in South Africa. My cousin was into car audio and getting gear sent from the USA was ridiculous ! That's if it made it past customs or got stolen at the docks ! I think the importers are out to make money and the bad exchange rate 8-1 doesn't help.

European cars appear to be priced much better in SA than in OZ. Our 'luxury car tax' kils us ! When I mention Japanese cars to my SA relatives they say that's too expensive and yet they're driving around in BMW and Audis ! Go figure !

Keen to see some photos !
    Trying to keep it subtle ... | COBB AccessPort | COBB DP | CP-e HPFP | CorkSport TMIC | TurboSmart BPV | Denso ITV22| CorkSport Boost Tubes | SURE Full3 Aeros | SURE REM (Street) | SURE AGS SS Shift Knob | 2XS SSP + SURE CounterShift | Speedline Front Strut Brace | Whiteline RSB | Prima Paint Protection

15. Default

Dont know if this is the right place to post pics, but here they are.
    Ignore the Focus in the background, and sorry 6 was a bit dirty
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	259.3 KB 
ID:	10200   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	242.3 KB 
ID:	10201   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	242.4 KB 
ID:	10202  

Know many other SA folks with MPS's mate? Seen many on the roads?

17. Default

There are quite a few MPS's on the road. More 3's than 6.
    The MPS didnt sell here that great, not badly but not as good as the Focus St or Golf GTI. plenty of them running around.
    Thats why we have a problem with getting our MPS's tuned, as not many guys have alot of experience with them, also our fuel is not up to scratch all the time. Can only get 95 RON maximum!

Welcome mate! Enjoy the site, plenty of great info on here!

Cheers Lee