User Tag List

Thread: New tyres soon, recommendations?

Default New tyres soon, recommendations?

Hi all,

I know this has probably been answered before, but I will ask nonetheless.. I'm due for some new tyres on my MPS6 soon, and will be sticking with the stock rims for the time being. I will be getting coilovers soon and plan to dump it so keep that in mind...

I don't want to spend a great deal on tyres, looking at the Kumho KU31s or Falken FK452. I run the Kumhos on my Subie and find them great, but haven't had any experience with the Falkens. Car currently has Pirelli P Zero Rossos on there, seem to be pretty noisy to me but they are a tad worn.

In regards to tyre size, would it hurt running 225/40 18 on the stock rims? I know standard is 215/45 18 so obviously my speedo will be a bit off but they are quite a bit cheaper than the rest. I could always go 225/45 18 but wondering if im lowering the car whether the 40 will let me get a bit lower or not.

Cheers!
    Darren
    Last edited by dazza; 11-01-2012 at 01:57 PM.

Look at my signature. I'm very happy with these Sumitomos on stock rims.

I ran both the tyres you're looking at on a 3 MPS, the KU31's were much better suited to it than the FK452's. Not sure if that helps with your decision for a 6 MPS but can't hurt.

4. Default

I have recently put on a set of Achillies 225/40/18 and they are fantastic. I was really surprised at how quiet they were on a MPS6 compared to the old KU36. And i have to say that so far the grip is fantastic, could not ask for more from a tyre for under $150 each!!

Quote Originally Posted by Millsy View Post
    I have recently put on a set of Achillies 225/40/18 and they are fantastic. I was really surprised at how quiet they were on a MPS6 compared to the old KU36. And i have to say that so far the grip is fantastic, could not ask for more from a tyre for under $150 each!!
    What is the model of those ones? Was that fitted per corner?
    I think ill stick with the Kumho KU31s at ~$130 corner. The 36s look a bit slicky to me!
    Last edited by dazza; 11-01-2012 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xliquidx View Post
    What is the model of those ones? Was that fitted per corner?
    I think ill stick with the Kumho KU31s at ~$130 corner. The 36s look a bit slicky to me!
    Where can you get the KU31s for $130 each.
    I've had the Achilles, and they're not bad.
    I have Falkens at the moment, and I can't wait to get rid of them.

Thanks BB

Best site I have found for comparative tyre info is Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_MPS6 View Post
    Look at my signature. I'm very happy with these Sumitomos on stock rims.
    I can't get the size here anymore (225/45R18) or I'd be riding on htrz3 myself.