User Tag List

Thread: Eibach Springs for MPS 6 too soft!

Default Eibach Springs for MPS 6 too soft!

The Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering springs for the Mazda 6 MPS are way too soft, there's too much body roll when taking corners, TOO MUCH. Will swapping the stock shocks out for Bilstein B8 stiffen things up?

Or will I need different springs do the job?

I know coilovers will do the job but I'm looking at the above options only for now.

2. Default

Id go Bilstein if it was me, cant go wrong there

Quote Originally Posted by High on PSI View Post

I know coilovers will do the job but I'm looking at the above options only for now.
    This.

You need to ask yourself what you want.
    Suspension, like everything about cars, is all about compromise.
    If body roll is now your issue, look at sway bars before putting firmer springs in it.
    If you put firmer springs in it you will lose ride quality, and you will then also really need better shocks to control the springs action.
    The car could end up quite bouncy, and if you drive on roads with bumps, could infact make the car handle worse.

On a 6 I suggest eibach springs, bilstein shocks and a rear sway bar as probably the best compromisefor normal and spirited driving on normal roads.

I know it goes against the craze but unless you track the car, know about adjusting bump and rebound and need to make those adjustments regularly, I don't see the point to adjustable coilovers.

I'll sell you a new Whiteline sway bar...lowered the rear subframe to change the shocks, forgot to make a mark on the headlight leveller before doing so, and cannot be bothered to lower the subframe all over again...

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    If body roll is now your issue, look at sway bars

True, try first swaybars.

I was a lot more surprised with the swaybars effect than I was with the coilovers.
    CES "SS" TBE | SURE "Aeros" SRI | SURE "Sidewinder" TIP | SURE "Return" Recirc Hose | CUSTOM "PWR Core" FMIC | Hypertech "Tuned" | Turbosmart "Atmo" BOV | MSD DashHawk | CP-e REM | SURE "Anchors" Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP and Weight | JBR Heavy Knob |Redline Hood Quick LIFT ELITE | TEIN "SS" Coilovers | Front - Rear HOTCHKIS Swaybars | Front - Rear DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors | A1RM Brake Pads | 18x8 +45 Tenzo-R Cuzco Black V1 | 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | Safe n' Sound baby Seat lol

With sway bars, are there only rears? or is there front too

There is a front bar, but the OEM one is fine, most benefit comes from changing the rear.

BTW, body roll is not such a bad thing, just feels bad

I know but driving my friends S15, I know they are two very different cars, but it is still on stock suspension and has close to no body roll, while my MPS 6 with supposedly upgraded springs, has lots of body roll. The less the body roll the more comfortable I feel

It's a road car. The more you do to reduce body roll the less safe the car will become on anything other than billiard table smooth surfaces. You risk making the car slower by making it so tight that it bounces off mid-corner bumps rather than staying connected to the road. The most undesirable thing about body roll is its effect on wheel camber, however in modern cars that's not as much of a problem it was back when VW's ran swing arms. The double wishbone arrangement you have at the front is as good as it gets and provides superior control of wheel geometry compared to struts. Getting to know your car better and learning how to get the best from it will no doubt help you to appreciate it more.

Gone to Volvo

Sounds like you've bought the wrong car. The 6 is a long distance cruiser, not a race car. If you want rigid, go coilovers. It will change the way you drive you're car, and not all in a good way. Gutters, driveways, potholes, speed bumps, you're always looking out for them, it gets tiring. Yes the handling is awesome, but my car has lost some of its appeal because the ride is so hard.

Personally I'm more than happy with the coil-overs set-up, its true what Yeldarb says you gotta watch out for some of the hazards but I'm more than happy to put up since I get back a lot more in return when i want to.

I would pick the coil-overs over the stock set-up any day of the week, however i would pick the stock set-up over just springs.

Aftermarket springs + stock shocks = FAIL!

13. Default

You will not achieve a stiffer ride with the Eibach/B8 combo. You'll get a lower ride height with approx. the same suspension feel as stock. Coilovers are you other option.

The 6 is a GT car and the AWD makes the driving proposition different to most other cars on the road. I've driven S4's, M3's, Liberty GT's and the 6 drives very differently to all these, particularly in spirited driving situations.

I have to ask though, what car have you come from, and would are you trying to achieve with altering the suspension setup?

I just want less body roll because there's so much... I'm not trying to turn it into a track car with super stiff and hard suspension so theres absolutely no body roll. There was less body roll on the stock springs..

15. Default

get a rear sway bar installed

Swaybars.
    That's the answer.

There should have been next to no difference in body roll between OEM and the new springs.

My guess is you expected less body roll, and after you changed them your focusing on it more.
    Sounds strange, but trust me, it happens

Nah I don't think that's it, alot of people that get in the car with me noticed it too, looks like I will be getting a rear sway bar. Thanks guys

18. Default

Hey I am running the Eibach's , Bilstien B8's , Whiteline rear sway bar and 19 x 8 rims. Front bar is the standard.
    be warned the rear bar is a bitch to fit - on mine they had to drop the rear diff to get it in
    The ride is stiff enough and the handling is fine.

Whitewun

different car, but i just installed the pro-kit/b8 combo on the gen1 3 mps and its a whole different world. admittedly, the stock shocks were gone and I never drove the car new. Although I got it at only 16000km, they were shit then and only got worse

controlling body roll through stiffer suspension is not ideal. as others have mentioned sway bars will provide the most difference. this will leave the suspension to do the work they are suppose to - keep the tyres on the ground (bound and rebound)

for the street, i dont think coilovers are needed. unless you have top end coilovers AND have the knowledge on how to tune them, the ride is generally not desireable for the street.