User Tag List

Thread: Bonnet temperature really hot

Default Bonnet temperature really hot

This is probably going to sound silly but for peace of mind, I thought I'd ask just to be sure. After a drive, the car (BK 3MPS) bonnet gets really hot in the area above the TMIC. I mean really (can't touch type of) hot. Is this normal? And also, I've noticed lately that bits of the rubber lining under the bonnet above the tmic are rubbing off/getting stuck on to the stock tmic cover, just above where the BPV is. Anyone else have this issue?

Just wanted to check if this was the norm, and/or I am having overheating issues in the engine bay.

Thanks guys!

I've never really checked.
    But I can tell you that on both my 3 and dads old 6 the badge on the intercooler cover got hot enough to warp. And the chrome to come off.

Haven't noticed much heat around the cooler that you guys speak of. Some of the heat wrapping stuff has shriveled up near the turbo and downpipe (right at the back) but other than that all seems good with mine.

See if you can get a Dashhawk or Scan Gauge to measure some of the temps, Coolant, Intake, Boost temps etc them maybe ask someone else with a Dashhawk to measure theirs and compare, if your's are higher then theres some problem somewhere, if the same then probably normal.

As the guys above had said and when I had my MPS 6 the under bonnet temps were quite high, especially on hot days with stop/start traffic. This thread has some recorded temps FYI

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/gener...ke-temp-2.html
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

With a TMIC clamped to the underside of the bonnet, a red glowing turbo just below it, and no ventilation at the back of the bonnet, high lid temps are not surprising. I can't quantify them, but have noticed my under-bonnet temps have dropped a lot since fitting the FMIC. I'm still tempted to louvre the rear of my bonnet but can't be bothered with the repaint required after doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    I've never really checked.
    But I can tell you that on both my 3 and dads old 6 the badge on the intercooler cover got hot enough to warp. And the chrome to come off.
    +1 I bought some I/C cover badges from your Dad, because mine did exactly the same thing. Ended up sticking some heat wrap under the cover and it is still in good nick

Thanks for the response guys. I don't have a dash hawk or scan gauge though, can these temps be measured through any other means? I've got an OBDII adapter + Torque but haven't really checked out all features and/or if it's possible with that combo.

Can certainly measure intake temps, not 100% certain on boost temps though... will have a look tonight

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

SARCASTIC, yes the DH will do Boost Temp. I have mine set (as my usual daily view) on ECT (Engine Coolant Temp), IAT (Intake Air Temp) and Boost Air Temp. My ECT usually runs about 76-84C in current ambient temps in the 25-35C range, the IAT about 35-40C and boost temp about 45-50C. The latter two figures can vary a lot depending on whether one is in traffic or running free, as well as day or night, so they are "ball park" only. I was logging them for a while but have dispensed with the log now. I can run a few more, logged against Ambient if anyone is interested.
    Last edited by Doug_MPS6; 12-01-2012 at 04:28 PM.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

ah, sorry, was talking about torque

Does it happen when in traffic or when open road? As even when i have done some spirited driving on country roads i can still put my hand on the intercooler. BUT i have a Gen 2 and CPe intercooler, never tested my gen 1.

Never mind. Someone will find the temps useful ;o) Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by luke 3mps View Post
    Does it happen when in traffic or when open road? As even when i have done some spirited driving on country roads i can still put my hand on the intercooler. BUT i have a Gen 2 and CPe intercooler, never tested my gen 1.
    Oh it's after I've finished a drive, and turned the car off. I'm looking into getting a TMIC so hopefully that will help out!

Quote Originally Posted by levitize View Post
    Oh it's after I've finished a drive, and turned the car off. I'm looking into getting a TMIC so hopefully that will help out!
    You have to remember that after you've switched off, the cooling fans/water pumps etc switch off too, so whilst you're no longer running the engine, there is still a significant amount of retained heat in there! So if you were interested in doing performance runs (i.e. you're at the dragstrip and you're waiting in line) then opening the bonnet with the engine off after a run will assist with heat dissipation! Also an FMIC would result in less heat on the top of the motor, the stock TMIC acts as a bit of a heat soak and heat generator up there!
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

on my gen 1 since install FMIC, my normal temp is 84-86 water temp and 2 degreese above ambiment for intake. i sit in traffic my water temp will hit 99 - 104, intake can rise quiet high i have seem 50 or more.

Thanks for the insight and replies guys, feel a little more reassured no funny business is going on with my ride