User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Max wheel/tyre size for Gen 1 MPS 3

Blog Entries

did everyone miss that he wants tyne size for traction? Increasing width and have offset doest get you traction it gets you lateral grip.
    Larger diameter increases traction, so 225/45-18 or 225/40 -R19 would be examples of fitments that might be chosen to improve traction.

The wide tyre argument bores me now.

The question really should be about tyre quality and design and/or brand to improve traction, not size.

3. Default

for a gen 1 mps 3 - can you go 20inch? if so what 20inch rim/tyre size combo, like +45mm offset? 225/30 20in tyres??

Will I rub wit 18x9 +38 with 225/40/18 tyres? Gen 1 MPS

@Nexus,

I'm by no means an expert, but why wouldn't a wider tyre increase traction?

I would think that a wider tyre and also a bigger diameter would both increase traction. The tyre footprint is larger in both cases.

One may help more than the other though - my wheels are the still the same diameter so I can't comment on that.

Agreed on the other point made about tyre quality being equally important. Wider and better quality wheels/tyres made a significant difference to me in getting off the mark and gripping well around corners.

The theory is -
    Weight is spread over a larger area, therefore the weight per square inch is actually reduced.
    More force pushing down on the tyres = more grip.

It's easily proven in a number of experiments.
    Good example is back in the day, women were of allowed to wear high heel shoes when getting off an aeroplane. They had to walk along the wing and they would punch holes in the wing, men of twice the weight in flat shoes wouldn't have a problem

Uh, what?

So based on that theory, 4000bhp top fuel dragsters should put the skinny front wheels on the back?

Spend your money on better quality tyres in the manufacturer specified sizes.

Basically the wider the tyre, the larger the contact patch (rubber on the road) meaning more grip. But, generally only when matched to wider wheels.

Wider tyre on the stock rim may get you better traction for acceleration, but will hurt cornering grip due to increased sidewall flex as the wheel rolls around in the tyre more. Current trend is to undertyre a wheel anyway as it gives more predictive handling on the limit. look at an M3 or AMG - the wheel is wider than the tyre causing a stretched appearance.

My ten cents, start reading tyre reviews and stick to the sizes that the Mazda engineers chose for a reason.

Slicks are a different story. And that's where people get confused, they look at a race car and try to apply the same on a road car. Slick work by getting hot and sticking to the road
    But can't argue with physics.

The stretched sidewalk thing comes from back in the day of cross ply tyres.
    They had very soft sidewalls, so people fitted wider wheels and skinny tyres to improve the sidewall strength.
    Now with radial ply tyres the walls are really stiff already, all stretching the tyre does it make it fit under the guards when fitting wheels too wide and in the case of motorsport it makes the car twitchier, great for drifting.

The best tyre size is the one designed to be fitted to the correct size wheel.

at 22's on a MPS

Oh man....i don't even.....

But you better let Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini and any other supercar manufacturer know your theory that skinny tyres will equal more traction so they can swap those steam roller size tyres off every car they have designed in the past 25 years!
    Last edited by SMOKEY; 30-04-2012 at 04:46 PM.

That's not what I said.
    You have taken things to an extreme and over exaggerated.
    There is a hell of a lot more to it than that. There are benefits to wide tyres. Cars go around corners too. Not everything is about straight lines.
    You need to look at a lot of different aspects.
    Without a really in-depth knowledge of suspension and how it works, its really difficult to explain.

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEY View Post
    Uh, what?

So based on that theory, 4000bhp top fuel dragsters should put the skinny front wheels on the back?

Basically the wider the tyre, the larger the contact patch (rubber on the road) meaning more grip. But, generally only when matched to wider wheels.

Wider tyre on the stock rim may get you better traction for acceleration, but will hurt cornering grip due to increased sidewall flex as the wheel rolls around in the tyre more. Current trend is to undertyre a wheel anyway as it gives more predictive handling on the limit. look at an M3 or AMG - the wheel is wider than the tyre causing a stretched appearance.

My ten cents, start reading tyre reviews and stick to the sizes that the Mazda engineers chose for a reason.
    You need weight to press down on the tyre if you have a lighter car wider tyres only make you slower it adds weight. If you have a 3mps 235/245 is the max you want to go as the rest is a waste. MPS6 you can go a bit wider on the rear 255. Wider tyres than 235 wont help you corner faster.. laws of pshyics= when you corner the weight is on the outside of the tyre hence no traction on the inside, so you are only adding weight to your wheels if you go wider.. Dont forget Mazda has set the car up for 215/225 tyres all suspension componants are suited to this size. Supercars are set up for 305+ wide tyres etc... Unless you have tens of thousands to spend and alter all suspension/testing parts of your car including lead weights for ballast to get it right... listen... If your after looks only than go for it, but wont make you faster
    Last edited by RedDjinn; 30-04-2012 at 06:01 PM.
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

We are going to have to agree to disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    That's not what I said.
    You have taken things to an extreme and over exaggerated.
    There is a hell of a lot more to it than that. There are benefits to wide tyres. Cars go around corners too. Not everything is about straight lines.
    You need to look at a lot of different aspects.
    Without a really in-depth knowledge of suspension and how it works, its really difficult to explain.
    They might be responding to something I said, then thought better of it and removed it, as I didnt want to inflame the debate.

But that comment was based on learning from a supersion day at Fulcrum last year. We had the Tien rep come in. I recollect him saying more grip, i.e. the contact patch, is achieved by going taller. Anyway, very happy to be shot to pieces by anyone qualified to do so.
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

I'd like to agree with you-but then we'd both be bloody wrong.

So we are just going to have to agree to disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEY View Post
    Uh, what?

Top fuelers off the line lift wheels off the ground so all weight of car is on the rears.. not to mension wider wheel help you track straighter .
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

17's fo lyf

Quote Originally Posted by MadAussie View Post
    17's fo lyf
    True that! 17 = faster 1/4 mile times and cornering

Double post deleted.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast