User Tag List

Thread: Gen II MPS 3" Cold Air Intake with Factory Air box.

Default Gen II MPS 3" Cold Air Intake with Factory Air box.

Hey all, I've been wanting to run a good sized CAI on my gen II, I have looked around on here and havent seen anyone take this path so this is what I did today.
    I got rid of the Factory flog lights as they attract a fine in QLD so I put the space to good use.

I made 240kw at all 4 in my EVO with the same set up and a K&N Panel filter, and it still looked stock!
    Having taken the car for a good spirited run, popped open the airbox and the filter is still cool.
    On road performance is noticeable especially top end when the cool freash air would be forced in to intake.
    Just be repaired to clean your filter ALOT more regularly

I also wanted to keep the factory Air box as it keeps the hot air out and cold air in and looks stock standard and when used like this good power gains can be had.

This is the Cold Air pipe connecting up to the air box.

Under side view

Finished

Had:
    Mitsubishi Evolution III ~12.0@114mph~
    Mitsubishi Evolution VII ~12.8@106mph~
    06 MPS 3 True Red
    Now:
    ~07 Ralliart Colt ~14.85@96mph~
    ~2010 Velocity Red Luxury MPS 3.
    3" CAI, K&N, Race pipe, Silicone Intake pipe, Custom Intercooler heat shield, LED Conversion, Gloss Black Wheels.

2. Default

Very nice setup

Cheers!
    The results on the butt dyno are great too. It made a 30+ deg difference in air temp (Pre-turbo) with not to mention the extra air being forced into the air box/inlet at high speeds.
    Now thats good gains for very little money.
    Next FMIC kit.

The part i dont get is Y have you drilled holes in your air box!!? thats drawing air in from the engine bay, if its doing this Y put the pipe in to draw cold air in?

The MPS has one of the most restricted Air boxes around, Doing this Free's it up (Can hear the turbo Sucking now).
    The amount of Force and the cool air will out weigh the restriction caused from the closed air box, And where I put them it gets cool air from near the wheel arch.

Actually the intake is a lot better than the GENI. Did you notice the OEM cold air intakes (that's 2) in the grill, right near the headlights?

Yes, I still have them in place as well.
    The ACTUAL air box itself is the restrictive part in the system and has been well documented in the gen 1 & 2.
    This way I have lowered intake temps, Getting plenty of cool Air forced in there and free'd up the restrictive box as well and look 100% stock. win-win!

FTW and cheap!

9. Default

Another nice write up NQMPS. I've done something similar to my stock gen 2 box but maintained the original air feed pipe and drilled a 84mm hole on the side (wheel side) of the box and attached 3" ID hose to it but havent drilled additional smaller holes. The hose is fed to the bottom of the bay and secured on that bottom cover. Do you get water entering the system with your foglight setup?
    Last edited by Redskin; 06-08-2012 at 08:03 PM.

I like that. Maybe just a bit of fly wire hose clamped over the inlet to stop rocks and bugs ending p rattling around in your airbox?

Quote Originally Posted by Redskin View Post
    Do you get water entering the system with your foglight setup?
    Hi, No I dont get any water in the system, just as long as you dont follow someone closely in the rain it's fine & No CEL to report to date.
    Had:
    Mitsubishi Evolution III ~12.0@114mph~
    Mitsubishi Evolution VII ~12.8@106mph~
    06 MPS 3 True Red
    Now:
    ~07 Ralliart Colt ~14.85@96mph~
    ~2010 Velocity Red Luxury MPS 3.
    3" CAI, K&N, Race pipe, Silicone Intake pipe, Custom Intercooler heat shield, LED Conversion, Gloss Black Wheels.

12. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEY View Post
    I like that. Maybe just a bit of fly wire hose clamped over the inlet to stop rocks and bugs ending p rattling around in your airbox?
    Thats a great idea. Haven't bolted the hose down at the bottom yet to make adjustments to position first till I'm 100% happy so I guess I'll have to cut the cable tie and put some mesh there would the mesh restrict the airflow?

www.naparts.com.au has some similar intakes for more ideas around page 7