User Tag List

Thread: Is this my first boost cut?

Blog Entries

Default Is this my first boost cut?

Hypertech tune. Hillclimbing, second gear. Hauling.
    sudden power loss, second before power comes back on - not sure, but didn't feel like traction control. DSC etc etc all turned on. Not wheelspin that I can recall.
    Didn't have any logging running.

This happened to me not long ago, second gear under slightly heavy footed acceleration, but my traction control was going nuts. What's this caused by exactly?

welcome to boost spiking.

Blog Entries

Yeah, I thought so. HT tune with 1-2 torque limiters lifted. (My understanding is that that is not completely disabled)
    And it was hauling not spinning wheels when the drop engaged and it felt like it just dumped all boost.

Haven't encountered it before, but I was really pushing it as hard as I could up a steep hill. Haven't encountered it before. Two seconds greater than the HT tune boost cut limit. So then is there another tune that I could safely use from the HT - OEM inlet option currently - this is precisely why I still have an OEM intake - to minimize the likelyhood of boost spiking.

So I'm thinking that the rise in boost pressures is not especially uncontrolled, but rather it's anm unusually high load and the cut shows there's at least some further gains I could make with a tune that allows a little more.

Is there another HT option? Compatible with OEM intake?
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x8.5+44 SSR GTX01 - 235/40R18 Michelin PS5 - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - Corksport turbo manifold - HT 98 octane tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - Bespoke Raspberry Pi Android based GPS/Carplay and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 -225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - COBB inlet - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold.

What was your fuel level?
    Only times I've ever had this was at 1/8-1/4 fuel remaining

can run a Boost controler T bleeder, set it to 17psi and if the car boost spikes will only go to 17psi, despite what the hypertech does.

did you almost go through the windscreen?

It would have been a fuel cut or fuel surge. Both of which i've had happen to me.

How much fuel did you have? At the track i've had mine surge at just under 1/4 full, going up hill and throwing it through corners.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    did you almost go through the windscreen?
    No. Fuel level > 1/2 tank, Was a tight left corner prior to pushing near WOT 2nd gear. Wheelspin, gentle back off-back on, traction - starts hauling up steep incline, power drops off, one second later boost comes back on. Like boost just disappeared, but kept running, I think.

Might have to reproduce it and grab a log...don't think it was fuel cut because it gave the impression that it kept running.
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x8.5+44 SSR GTX01 - 235/40R18 Michelin PS5 - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - Corksport turbo manifold - HT 98 octane tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - Bespoke Raspberry Pi Android based GPS/Carplay and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 -225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - COBB inlet - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold.

Did you lose some or all of your power? Boost isn't something that just cuts. Fuel cut = go through windscreen. Boost leaks don't show up as total power loss, just reduced peak power.

My guess is it's just some drive by wire bad juju. The throttle control can do some odd things in my car sometimes when I am varying my inputs in the same way you were.

If it was the HT you would be having the same car reaction every time you went WOT

We're revs more than 5k!?
    Could be fuel pressure I've had some stuttering in both the three and six before

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvandan View Post
    If it was the HT you would be having the same car reaction every time you went WOT
    Definately haven't noticed it before except as power drop as part of traction controls - can feel similar, just not as significant.

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    Did you lose some or all of your power? Boost isn't something that just cuts. Fuel cut = go through windscreen. Boost leaks don't show up as total power loss, just reduced peak power.

My guess is it's just some drive by wire bad juju. The throttle control can do some odd things in my car sometimes when I am varying my inputs in the same way you were.
    I think it was some. It was abrupt, and maybe if it wasn't such a steep hill I'f have noticed the "through windscreen" a bit more. I did lean forward as power dropped off. For the next couple of moments, I thought it was running at reduced power, rather than not firing at all. When it came back on it was progressive over a second or so.

Fuel pressure or a drive-by-wire glitch seem very plausible. Fuel cut still plausible so I'll try the same corner again sometime soon and see if it's reproducible if so I'll have a log to analyse.
    Last edited by Nexus; 27-12-2011 at 07:14 AM.

could be fuel cut, i had a drop in fuel pressure above 4500rpm but i wasnt voilent.