User Tag List

Thread: cluncky noise up front

Default cluncky noise up front

hey guys

i have been experiencing a clunky feel through the steering wheel coming from the front end.i asked my mechanic and he took for a drive, and old murphy came in and it didnt do it.he thort it mite be the steering rack being a bit loose.it happends when hitting bumps around corners. but also when not turning at all.could it be and engine mount?
    just wondering if anyone else has had a drama like this? or any suggestions?

cheers guys

front sway bar end links or rear engine mount come to mind. stock suspention ?

stock shocks.lowerd on kings superlow

superlows hey?

endlinks...

or your stock shocks are rooted

In order of cost try this.
    Check endinks to see if tight, then replace sway bar mounting rubbers ($40) then try replacing endlinks.
    If that doesn't fix it, try shocks and strut top bearing.

I took the advice of 2 Mazda dealers and a couple of mechanics and replaced the endlinks then the shocks (which I don't regret and was worth every cent) knock was finally fixed with new swaybar rubbers.$40 and half hours work.

i had king springs, end links for sure

I had a similar issue, mainly when turning at low speeds...

Turned out to be inadequate lubrication in the steering column adjustment.

My dealer pulled the column out and re-lubed under warranty, but apparently running the steering wheel adjustment through it's full range spreads out the grease in there and can solve the clunk...

Chris.

I have this too on my front wheels. Is it possible to check the end links at home or do I need to go to a mechanic? I'm still a newbie when it comes to DIY with cars

hey fellas

i also dont no much about cars.where are the endlinks located? and roughly how much are they to replace? it sounds as this is a bit of a problem when changing to kings? i had the springs on for about 6 months before i heard and felt this noises.
    cheers for the help

endlinks are the metal rods that connect the sway bar to the struts.
    Easy to get to and tighten.
    Pretty difficult to check if they are faulty.
    No idea how Mazda ones cost. I replaced mine with Nolathane universal endlinks from Repco. Cost about $70 (trade price) from memory.

With a lowered car, you really should get adjustable ones so you can get the sway bar back at the correct angle. Its set by factory there for a reason.
    It also moves the swaybar into a position where it won't hit the chassis, causing even more clunks

Apparently the source of mps knock at the front is typically sway bar bushes.

If you lower then it is almost a certainty.

hey

thanks guys for the help.will look at those during the crissy break.hopfully thats it,cos its grim driving around with all the clunking goingon.

cheers again

have a good crissy