User Tag List

Thread: Semi Slick Pricing, Performance & Suppliers.

Default Semi Slick Pricing, Performance & Suppliers.

Does anyone have any hot tips about where to find/what to pay for a set of track day semi slicks? I've been running Neova's so far and they work great but if I want to go in this Forum Battle then I am gonna need a set of semi slicks to be competitive. Preferably in 235/40 R18 size but can do 225 wide as well.

Models I am specifically interested in are:
    Yokohama A048 or A050
    Toyo R888
    Hankook Z221
    Bridgestone Re-55
    Dunlop DZ02G or DZ03G

hornityres.com.au seems to have some good info but I can't really compare their pricing with anyone else. Tirerack have A048's for about $300 each plus $250 shipping so i'll take that as a benchmark for now.

St George Tyres ebay store has Toyo R888 for $1339 for all four

4 X NEW 225-40-18 TOYO R888 SEMI SLICK RACE TYRES L@@K! | eBay

07 production but still should be ok

Edit: they do 235-40-18 also: 4 X NEW 235-40-18 TOYO R888 SEMI SLICK RACE TYRES L@@K! | eBay
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Taleb tyres had the Toyo cheaper than that from memory.
    Would be worth the call.
    Last edited by Cton; 15-12-2011 at 11:39 AM.

I nearly bought those R888's. They'll do the job, but after 5 years they wont be as sticky because even when they are not used tyres get progressively harder due to the daily atmospheric temperature cycle causing the rubber to harden.

Also have a look at the Federal 595rs-r, they have a very good track record (pun intended).

Another option is to track down some used tyres from the more serious race teams. They use them once and discard them with plenty of tread left. There used to be a market for these tyres and you could get them from places like Toddy's Tyres at Rydalmere. But that was years ago. I did most of my racing on hand-me-down D78J's and they were bloody brilliant.

Gone to Volvo

The 595RS-R won't stand up to the tyres in that list. If you're going on a budget; the R888 is probably your best bet, but if you want out-and-out performance, swing towards the DZ02G.

Ok well it turns out placing first at QLD raceway in the Neova cup means I get a $500 voucher to spend on Yokohama gear.

That means I will be getting either A048's or A050's. Now i've just gotta find what the conditions on this voucher are, if they make me go and buy from a place that charges $500 more then they can .

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    Ok well it turns out placing first at QLD raceway in the Neova cup means I get a $500 voucher to spend on Yokohama gear.

That means I will be getting either A048's or A050's. Now i've just gotta find what the conditions on this voucher are, if they make me go and buy from a place that charges $500 more then they can .
    We never entered our figures But yeh you should try some second hand ones from the osborne team, I used Jakes old tyres and had some great times in the wet in Feb and with the Advan's on Cols car only produced a second or two with the times but I understand we had issues with boost but with the used racing tyres and in the wet I had some great times on the day.
    Like sand in the hour glass are the days of my life.

Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for a while, leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never, ever the same.
    You will be in our prays
    Leelu.

Quote Originally Posted by 240MPS View Post
    We never entered our figures But yeh you should try some second hand ones from the osborne team, I used Jakes old tyres and had some great times in the wet in Feb and with the Advan's on Cols car only produced a second or two with the times but I understand we had issues with boost but with the used racing tyres and in the wet I had some great times on the day.
    cant use actual racing tyres... although they were using 03G's at eastern creek, so might be worth asking...
    the 03G's are totally different class of tyre to AD08's...

---------- Post added at 10:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 PM ----------

yokoa050 | Mercury Motorsport

---------- Post added at 10:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 PM ----------

im an awesome pit crew, no?
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

I've been told that the tyres they used are road useable but not on this day they were pretty slippery in the wet but ok once the heat built up in the tyre but didn't trust driving home on them and I think they were Dunlops because Jake found them better than the yokohama's he had sitting at the workshop, he used the yokies for about 6 laps at a practice session and got the boys to change back to the Dunlops...
    Like sand in the hour glass are the days of my life.

Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for a while, leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never, ever the same.
    You will be in our prays
    Leelu.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbetty View Post
    Congrats on coming first Reedy ... well deserved
    The ladies usually hate it when I do that.
    Last edited by Reedy; 16-12-2011 at 11:52 PM.

Hahahaa the other reply was better Reedy

$500 bucks!!!!

Very nice!....did they give a throphy as well?

Yep. My name is also engraved on the cup hehe.

Last edited by Reedy; 17-12-2011 at 07:44 AM.

Ok Got a couple of price quotes back in now, 235/40 R18 Semi slicks at the average Australian retailer run at about $570. Less my $500 discount I am looking at about $1800 for a full set.

A048's cost $300 each from Tirerack. Plus $250 shipping. That's $1450 for a set delivered. So even with a huge discount, I am still paying more with our horrendous Australian prices. Tirerack don't sell A050's tho and those are the ones I want (in soft compound).

That's a big financial commitment for a small gain at an event that I am probably going to lose horribly at anyway.... What to do what to do......

I know there has been debate about import costs, but I'm fairly confident that if you import from Tirerack and the value of the tyres and freight is over $1000 you'll be up for 5% customs duty then you'll have to pay 10% gst on the total amount including customs duty. That will make the package cost $1674.75. When buying over the internet See example 3. According to this site you'll also need to complete an import declaration.

When I bought my tyres from Tirerack they sent them in bundles of 2, each with a different tracking number. My purchase was over 1k i didnt have to pay anything extra.

---------- Post added at 05:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    Ok Got a couple of price quotes back in now, 235/40 R18 Semi slicks at the average Australian retailer run at about $570. Less my $500 discount I am looking at about $1800 for a full set.

A048's cost $300 each from Tirerack. Plus $250 shipping. That's $1450 for a set delivered. So even with a huge discount, I am still paying more with our horrendous Australian prices. Tirerack don't sell A050's tho and those are the ones I want (in soft compound).

That's a big financial commitment for a small gain at an event that I am probably going to lose horribly at anyway.... What to do what to do......

Are you only buying for that event, wouldnt you use them for every trackday in the future?
    CES "SS" TBE | SURE "Aeros" SRI | SURE "Sidewinder" TIP | SURE "Return" Recirc Hose | CUSTOM "PWR Core" FMIC | Hypertech "Tuned" | Turbosmart "Atmo" BOV | MSD DashHawk | CP-e REM | SURE "Anchors" Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP and Weight | JBR Heavy Knob |Redline Hood Quick LIFT ELITE | TEIN "SS" Coilovers | Front - Rear HOTCHKIS Swaybars | Front - Rear DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors | A1RM Brake Pads | 18x8 +45 Tenzo-R Cuzco Black V1 | 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | Safe n' Sound baby Seat lol

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvandan View Post
    When I bought my tyres from Tirerack they sent them in bundles of 2, each with a different tracking number. My purchase was over 1k i didnt have to pay anything extra.[COLOR=Silver]
    I'd like know how that works because the customs requirements are clear. Maybe it's pot luck, depending on how busy they are.

Gone to Volvo

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    I'd like know how that works because the customs requirements are clear. Maybe it's pot luck, depending on how busy they are.
    There is definitely an element of luck. If they pick that the 2 packages are part of the same shipment then they could very well sting you with the extra tax. Sanchez got away with it but that's not to say everyone will.

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvandan View Post
    Are you only buying for that event, wouldnt you use them for every trackday in the future?
    Essentially would be buying for this event but then I would have a good set of tyres to use in the future, there are supersprint and timeattack events that I would like to get involved in so they wouldn't go entirely to waste.