User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: About VersaTuner Tuning Software

1. Default About VersaTuner Tuning Software

Here's a quick description of VersaTuner. If you have any questions about our tuning software, please do not hesitate to post here or contact us in whatever way works best for you.

VersaTuner is an easy to use wizard driven Windows based software tuning solution for Mazdaspeed3, Mazdaspeed6, Mazda 3 MPS, Mazda6 MPS, and Mazda CX-7 vehicles.

It uses an industry standard SAE J2534 vehicle interface (Tactrix OpenPort 2.0/Drewtech Mongoose or similar) to communicate with your car's ECU. This is the same method used by dealers to perform ECU updates.

There are pre-built tunes available via an online tuning database as well as custom tuning of over 150 tables and constants. If you aren't comfortable tuning your own car and want more than an off the shelf tune can offer, the good folks at PERM tunung are happy to work with VersaTuner customers to provide e-tunes.

In addition to the various tables and constants, you can easily customize your tunes to add the following features:

• Smooth Shift for stutter-free shifting
    • Launch Control and No Lift Shifting for powerful launches and quick full power shifts
    • DTC Masking to prevent known conditions from illuminating the MIL/CEL light

With the Virtual Dashboard, VersaTuner provides real-time data monitoring, data logging, and graphing.

Your tunes and logs are conveniently stored in a local database and can be easily exported to share with others. Logs can be exported in native .vtlog format or standard .csv for posting or importing into third party tools.

We offer world class customer service and have customers on four continents and the Caribbean.

For more information about VersaTuner, check out the website at
    www.versatuner.com

Thank you,

Steve
    Steve

Lead Tuner

Hi Steve,

Any support for the Gen II 3 MPS (Mazdaspeed 3)?

I know one of our members here was doing some local testing for you on the Gen I, but haven't heard much on the Gen II

Dan

3. Default

From an ECU standpoint, the Gen II is a totally different beast from the ground up. We are making good progress on it, but we don't have an exact release date set yet.

Hi Steve,

Understandable. Have heard the same issues expressed by Cobb, Hypertech et al.

It's great you're working on it and look forward to hearing updates

Thanks,

Dan

PS. What's your take on stock fuel pump issues reported by many on the Mazdaspeed forums? We've been across the conversations over there for a fair while and several club members have also been doing their own fuel pressure testing with mixed results.

Would be interested to hear about what you've experienced in your testing
    Last edited by Caffeine Fiend; 14-12-2011 at 08:51 AM.
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Hi Steve,

I love the look of VersaTuner and will probably be using it when I change my turbo to a BNR stage 3 (with other supporting mods) sometime soon.
    I'll probably do some basic tuning myself; e.g. MAF calibration, boost targets, etc... to get the car nicely driveable until the car gets to a proper tuning place.

My only concern was I had planned to go to MRT or Tunehouse and they both sell the ECUTek flash solution, didn't know whether they'd like using other software... and I'd have to take my laptop to give to them while they were tuning.

I assume PERM tuning is a remote tuning offering? Any rough idea on pricing?

Thanks,

Thomas

6. Default

A highly modified K04 fed car will require a pump upgrade. There is some variation from car to car, but tuned cars with a CAI/SRI and a TBE will see fuel pressure problems. Around 260 g/s mass airflow is where the problems can start. By 280 g/s fuel pressure can drop below 1200 PSI. Anyone who intends to get a turbo upgrade needs to upgrade the fuel pump. For reference, a stock 3 MPS with the VersaTuner High Load tune flows a little over 240g/s of air

Hi Steve.

HPFP is one of the supporting mods I'd planned, either the CP-E pump or do the internals with a kit myself.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by tomo89aus View Post
    Hi Steve,

I love the look of VersaTuner and will probably be using it when I change my turbo to a BNR stage 3 (with other supporting mods) sometime soon.
    I'll probably do some basic tuning myself; e.g. MAF calibration, boost targets, etc... to get the car nicely driveable until the car gets to a proper tuning place.

My only concern was I had planned to go to MRT or Tunehouse and they both sell the ECUTek flash solution, didn't know whether they'd like using other software... and I'd have to take my laptop to give to them while they were tuning.

I assume PERM tuning is a remote tuning offering? Any rough idea on pricing?

Thanks,

Thomas
    Hi Thomas,

You can give your VersaTuner install package to anyone to install since it's VIN locked. They can use it to tune your car.

PERM is a group of guys on MSF who have a lot of experience tuning MS3/6 and 3/6 MPS cars. Basically, you tell them what mods you have, send them some logs, and they send you a tune. You repeat until it's tuned. You'll have to contact them for pricing.
    Steve

Lead Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by Steve VersaTune View Post
    A highly modified K04 fed car will require a pump upgrade. There is some variation from car to car, but tuned cars with a CAI/SRI and a TBE will see fuel pressure problems. Around 260 g/s mass airflow is where the problems can start. By 280 g/s fuel pressure can drop below 1200 PSI. Anyone who intends to get a turbo upgrade needs to upgrade the fuel pump. For reference, a stock 3 MPS with the VersaTuner High Load tune flows a little over 240g/s of air
    Thanks Steve. I have an OBDII scanner on the way and plan to do some fuel pressure testing/logging on my own car to see where it's at before doing any further mods. Am beginning to think that this should really be a cardinal rule to follow prior to modding. Though with only an SRI at this stage I'm not expecting to have fuelling issues (at least I hope not )
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

10. Default

Just a SRI should be fine. It's when you uncork the exhaust that the flow goes up.

I my view the best feature of Versatune is elimination of the hesitation. I spent more than four years trying different things to stop the hesitation and I would have purchased Versatune for this alone, the logging and tuning is a bonus. I find that I'm using launch control and NLS much more than I expected (actually all the time), it works brilliantly and is soooo much fun. It takes a conscious effort to overcome the instinct to lift for the shift, and I guess there's a risk that after my muscle memory is re-programmed I may forget to lift when driving a car without NLS, but that's not a complaint.

Steve, since you're here on the forum..... I'm running the 98EU high load v1.00 which seems to be the most compatible tune with my mods. The engine runs nicely and I feel that it's quite a safe tune. However it's not perfect, I'm struggling to see more than 13psi, I clearly need custom tuning but there is no one in my isolated part of the world with the expertise to tune my car so I'm very interested in PERM. Is it possible to contact the PERM guys without going onto MSF? (I generally try to avoid that place)

Gone to Volvo

sadly the perm guys have a massive wait list

Think there is other tuning groups though...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

13. Default

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    I my view the best feature of Versatune is elimination of the hesitation. I spent more than four years trying different things to stop the hesitation and I would have purchased Versatune for this alone, the logging and tuning is a bonus. I find that I'm using launch control and NLS much more than I expected (actually all the time), it works brilliantly and is soooo much fun. It takes a conscious effort to overcome the instinct to lift for the shift, and I guess there's a risk that after my muscle memory is re-programmed I may forget to lift when driving a car without NLS, but that's not a complaint.

Steve, since you're here on the forum..... I'm running the 98EU high load v1.00 which seems to be the most compatible tune with my mods. The engine runs nicely and I feel that it's quite a safe tune. However it's not perfect, I'm struggling to see more than 13psi, I clearly need custom tuning but there is no one in my isolated part of the world with the expertise to tune my car so I'm very interested in PERM. Is it possible to contact the PERM guys without going onto MSF? (I generally try to avoid that place)
    You should be seeing more than 13 PSI with that tune. Are you hitting the load targets?

I have sent a message to the PERM guys. I'll let you know how to get a hold of them as soon as they let me know the preferred method.

And, yeah LC and NLS are a blast

---------- Post added at 09:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 PM ----------

Feel free to post your logs on the VersaTune user forum. There are lots of friendly and helpful people there who can give you guidance. I usually offer my thoughts as well.
    Steve

Lead Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    IIs it possible to contact the PERM guys without going onto MSF? (I generally try to avoid that place)
    Every second reply on that forum is DONATE DONATE DONATE!
    They have some great info and discussions but in general everyone is a bit rude on there I find. Could just be a yank thing....

Quote Originally Posted by tomo89aus View Post
    Every second reply on that forum is DONATE DONATE DONATE!
    And lots of posts in between the "donate" posts on MSF are usually to hurl abuse at someone (new members, Gen II owners, etc etc)

About one in four posts seems to actually be worth reading IMO

Can someone explain to a noob like me how launch control works ?

I'm very interested with this Versatune software, as i have a friend in a GTi that has something very similar and his GTi makes about 15% more power then the equvilant APR Gti can make, so i do believe that there is power there.

Another note i'm still very happy with my custom mazedit tune.

I've got a dashhawk, what things i should be monitoring Mass Air Flow, Fuel Pressure what else and what values higher or lower should i be aiming for?

Currently when at WOT through out the rev range my AFR is low 11's sometime high 10's then once i back of the throttle it hit's low 10's for a millisecond, is this normal considering i have a recirc valve.
    MPSX-treme

2006 MPS Sports True Red - HP-F Mazedit tune + Other go fast bits - DGR Coilovers + Semi Slicks - Numerous Sure Motorsport Additions - Dashhawk

Quote Originally Posted by naasif View Post
    You set a RPM limit, lets say 4200 rpm. You hold the clutch all the way in, then you floor the accelerate pedal, and it will limit your revs to 4200 instead of going all the way to 7000 or whatever it is. You then let go of the clutch and launch away lol

19. Default

Quote Originally Posted by naasif View Post

Here is how it is implemented in VersaTuner

---------- Post added at 08:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    I'm very interested with this Versatune software, as i have a friend in a GTi that has something very similar and his GTi makes about 15% more power then the equvilant APR Gti can make, so i do believe that there is power there.

Another note i'm still very happy with my custom mazedit tune.

I've got a dashhawk, what things i should be monitoring Mass Air Flow, Fuel Pressure what else and what values higher or lower should i be aiming for?

Currently when at WOT through out the rev range my AFR is low 11's sometime high 10's then once i back of the throttle it hit's low 10's for a millisecond, is this normal considering i have a recirc valve.

I don't know what all tables you have to work with, but I know VersaTuner can maintain consistent AFRs. Do you have your recirc valve vent to atmosphere or recirculating?
    Steve

Lead Tuner

Bakis - with regard to your recirc/bypass valve, switch it out for stock and try the same logs to see if you have the same effect. The stock piece actually works pretty darn good on the MPS, just check the rubber seal on the bottom of it is seated well.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast