User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: About VersaTuner Tuning Software

1. Default

Here is one of the members of the PERM group.

Thanks guys, yeah my AFR values are constant just vary between .2 - .4 throughout the rev range. Its just an upgraded version of the stock recirc so its on full vent, and i've used a sealent to the cold pipe is seals to.

I have the correct spring installed where they isn't a flutter but still its is an aggressive vent. How much KR (knock) is considered to much? Very occasionally when on the gas sometimes i've recorded a Knock value of 0.7 but only for less then 0.1 seconds from a Dashhawk log.
    MPSX-treme

2006 MPS Sports True Red - HP-F Mazedit tune + Other go fast bits - DGR Coilovers + Semi Slicks - Numerous Sure Motorsport Additions - Dashhawk

3. Default

.7 knock isn't bad especially if it's only momentary. Vent to atmosphere will cause a rich spike when the valve opens. This is because metered air is being discarded but the fuel that goes with that metered air is still being injected.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve VersaTune View Post
    .7 knock isn't bad especially if it's only momentary. Vent to atmosphere will cause a rich spike when the valve opens. This is because metered air is being discarded but the fuel that goes with that metered air is still being injected.

OK thanks, yeah read alot of stuff on here about the vent being to bad due to MAF not being able to notice missing air, giving you back fires and such
    MPSX-treme

2006 MPS Sports True Red - HP-F Mazedit tune + Other go fast bits - DGR Coilovers + Semi Slicks - Numerous Sure Motorsport Additions - Dashhawk

Quote Originally Posted by Steve VersaTune View Post
    Here is one of the members of the PERM group.
    Thanks for linking to our site Steve.

This is Alex from Stratified Automotive. As Steve mentioned, we work as part of the PERM tuning network but are an independent company and have specialized in Mazda, MazdaSpeed, and MPS tuning. We work with both the COBB AP and of course VersaTuner.

I know some of you have heard that the tuning line-up on MSF for PERM tunes is long so I thought I would join here to answer questions and get some of you that are interested on board for custom tunes without having to wait in the MSF line-up or have to donate to another forum. Any questions please let me know and I will be happy to answer - we've tuned everything from mostly stock cars to fully built big turbo vehicles. For any vehicle, a tune is the best modification for the money hands down.

Contact me on the forum, or directly on my site

PERM ftw.

had just signed myself up over on msf...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Been working working with Alex to develop a custom e-tune for my car. I've seen how these cars suffer from heat soak on the chassis dyno so I'm very happy that I've gone in this direction. And I'm feeling that the iterative process of tweaking the tune and verifying the results in real-world conditions on the same roads that I actually drive on, then data logging to base the next iteration upon, is a good way to develop a tune. Not only am I hoping for a better tune than I might get on a dyno but (for Australians at least) the cost of Versatune + Tactrix cable + e-tune from Stratified works out to be a lot cheaper than the custom tuning alternatives currently available to us. Now you can have a custom tune for under $1000 and you get data logging and extra features like launch control and no lift shift. When you consider that a WOT box will cost a couple of hundred dollars it's easy to see the value in this package.

I've been quite pleased with the way the e-tuning has been progressing. The first iteration provided loads more torque and the indications were that engine parameters were still safe. This morning on advice from Alex I fabricated a restrictor pill for the boost control solenoid and recovered a couple of pounds of boost that I had lost with the bigger turbo. With the second tune iteration from Alex loaded I went for a drive and promptly broke the left rear axle. That's not supposed to be possible with upgraded diff mounts, but there you go. It's obviously making a lot more power, and that's with a moderate 16psi of boost.

So the MPS off the road until I can import a pair of heavy duty rear axles (rated to 500hp) in the new year. Then I'll get back into the tuning and looking for more boost so I can stress test those new axles.

Happy days.

Gone to Volvo

this is why I was looking for a perm tune

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    Been working working with Alex to develop a custom e-tune for my car. I've seen how these cars suffer from heat soak on the chassis dyno so I'm very happy that I've gone in this direction. And I'm feeling that the iterative process of tweaking the tune and verifying the results in real-world conditions on the same roads that I actually drive on, then data logging to base the next iteration upon, is a good way to develop a tune. Not only am I hoping for a better tune than I might get on a dyno but (for Australians at least) the cost of Versatune + Tactrix cable + e-tune from Stratified works out to be a lot cheaper than the custom tuning alternatives currently available to us. Now you can have a custom tune for under $1000 and you get data logging and extra features like launch control and no lift shift. When you consider that a WOT box will cost a couple of hundred dollars it's easy to see the value in this package.

I've been quite pleased with the way the e-tuning has been progressing. The first iteration provided loads more torque and the indications were that engine parameters were still safe. This morning on advice from Alex I fabricated a restrictor pill for the boost control solenoid and recovered a couple of pounds of boost that I had lost with the bigger turbo. With the second tune iteration from Alex loaded I went for a drive and promptly broke the left rear axle. That's not supposed to be possible with upgraded diff mounts, but there you go. It's obviously making a lot more power, and that's with a moderate 16psi of boost.

So the MPS off the road until I can import a pair of heavy duty rear axles (rated to 500hp) in the new year. Then I'll get back into the tuning and looking for more boost so I can stress test those new axles.

Happy days.
    How hard was it to tune with the Mod's in your sig? is there a fuel pump or pump internals in your car? How much editing needed to work with the BNR turbo?
    MPSX-treme

I'm staying with the oem hpfp until the data shows that i need an upgrade. As for the tuning i can't really answer, Alex from Stratified is taking care of that. I just upload the new tunes to the car and go drive it. All i need to do is log some data and email it to Canada. That's the really appealing aspect of it.

12. Default

With the second tune iteration from Alex loaded I went for a drive and promptly broke the left rear axle.
    Darn it. Another VersaTuner customer making too much power
    Steve

Lead Tuner

Happy days.
    Thank you for the thorough and well thought out review of the process so far. We are just getting started, so there should be a lot more in store once the MPS is back on the road.

To answer some of the questions regarding how hard it is to dial in a tune ... none of it is really "hard" - however it is important to have the correct parts installed on the vehicle for the tuning goals. Making the calibration changes such that the car runs efficiently and safely with the parts installed is what I take care of and I do so through the direct feedback (logs) from the particular vehicle.

The BNR turbos for example are a great upgrade. That being said, without modification, the stock boost control system will not work well with them. Another example is that the more air the vehicle flows - the higher the load on the fuel system - so at some point an upgraded fuel pump is needed in most cars. The same can be said about charge cooling and fuel quality. All of these (and more) parameters play a role in how the calibration is shaped for each individual car and not one vehicle or final tune is exactly the same.

Since we have been working with turbocharged vehicles for over a decade, I can advise on what works and what doesn't on the MPS cars and help guide a customer while the tuning process is ongoing should something need to be addressed. Overall, our goal at Stratified is to have the owners of these vehicle enjoy them safely while extracting the most efficiency and power from the way the vehicle is setup.
    Custom MazdaSpeed/Mazda MPS Tuning - VersaTune and COBB

Sounds good, how much are you for a custom tune? I'm just curious.....

Quote Originally Posted by kevstewart View Post
    Sounds good, how much are you for a custom tune? I'm just curious.....
    The tune is $200 CAD.
    More details on our site here:

Custom Tuning Services : Stratified Automotive Controls
    Custom MazdaSpeed/Mazda MPS Tuning - VersaTune and COBB

16. Default

Nice work Alex. I'm glad there are resources for people to go to for quality tuning. I'm getting spread a little thin trying to help everyone with tuning.

Only going to get busier Steve!

Just need to sort the Gen 2 MPS 3 out.

I would like to compare Versatuner against the AP.

Still waiting for my 500hp axles to arrive from North Carolina, then I can resume the tuning process. The combination of BNRs3, Versatune and Norm Butler exhaust has taken the car to a new level in terms of torque and with ultra grippy PS3's I'm wondering what will break next.

Still waiting for my 500hp axles to arrive from North Carolina, then I can resume the tuning process. The combination of BNRs3, Versatune and Norm Butler exhaust has taken the car to a new level in terms of torque and with ultra grippy PS3's I'm wondering what will break next.
    Well not to be a doomsayer but if you beef up the driveshafts, probably the transfer case lol.
    MPS is gone. Ghey Trail enabled....Not Happy. MPS 6 to come

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast